Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MARAUDER PRICING

MARAUDER PRICING

As a owner of a low mileage Marauder I often wonder what the values of the cars are? There seems to be a very large fluctuation in pricing. Are we as owners in any position to make a change in the value of the rare cars. Keeping in mind as the years go buy they become more rare and many become total loss vehicles. As members of this club are we in any position to stabilize or increase value? Being the cars a limited edition .We all cherish our Marauders and want the most value if we ever have to deal with a total loss or a selling scenario. Please share your thoughts.

At risk of being accused of blasphemy...

The harsh reality is that outside these hallowed halls, the Marauder isn't much more special than any other garden variety special edition car.

It isn't exotic in any way. Rare is a stretch, limited sure.

Take, for example, the BOSS versions of mustangs.
    To the enthusiasts, they are great machines and worthy of much admiration and immediately increasing resale values. To the rest of us, it is just another mustang with some extra stuff from the factory.

Marauders? just another Grand Marquis/Crown Vic variant with extra stuff from the factory.

If anyone has visions of rising resale values, I hope they have long pockets to store the vehicle, not drive it much, maintain it regularly, document all the maintenance, get Elvis to drive it and have pictures taken, etc.
    Beyond that? The MM is an expensive hobby that has gotten a little cheaper now that there's a gob of them in the 150K+ mile range.

Yes, we all (mostly) want to see our lovely MM's go to good homes. We all also probably want max dollar for the car when we sell it. But the market isn't there for it in big enough numbers to support much more than what this group right here on this board is willing to support.

Problem with this group? There is one... What appears to be a majority here is people who understand cars on a much deeper level than the average person walking on a dealer lot choosing between colors for their next car.

I see most (well, all) members here as shrewd car buyers who know the differences between what a car is worth and what the list/asking price a dealer or private party starts out with.

As for this group being in position to stabilize or increase value? As much as it can, it already has. This group has served the purpose of fanning the flames of enthusiasm and as such has encouraged many folks to keep their cars far longer than the usual life span of ownership. This has limited the churning of the Marauders in the market place.

Outside of that, this group would be among the most difficult to get a premium price paid for an average condition Marauder, with the exception that this group would probably contain those members who might pay a premium for the cherry when it comes available.
    2004 silver birch, procharged, silvania silverstars, flowmaster 40's, mild tint, planet audio rear speakers....SOLD....

2003 black, 4.10's, lidio tune, flow master 40's with after cat delete, PIAA headlamps, Metco upper/lower control arms, Metco watts link, rear Addco anti sway bar, front grill gods head, tint is beyond aggressive....SOLD....

On the LookOut for #3... Have a Blue Baby in my sights. Open to suggestions on low mile blue/black offers.

Another example-
    I recently had the pleasure of buying/driving/flipping a Maserati Spyder.
    Brilliant car, Ferrari 390+HP naturally aspirated engine, fun to drive, convertible, stock exhaust note amazing, fast, quick, exotic.

The one I had was actually a bit more appropriate to call rare.
    We all think the blue MM is 'rare' but it really isn't, it is just another Marauder with a different color- no special feature other than how the paint reflects light.

The Maserati? almost all of them were sold with the Cambio Corsca set up- an F1 transmission that had shift paddles and no clutch pedal. The extreme majority was the GT with the 6MT transmission which was a gated 6 speed manual transmission with a clutch pedal.

Over the entire production run of several years, less than 400 were made with the 6MT. The Maserati guys think of it almost as a unicorn- especially since not all of them shipped to the US.

I can tell you flat out- the only way to capitalize on that rarity is to be able to sell it to another Maserati guy. The open market sees it just as another Spyder and couldn't care much less.
    2004 silver birch, procharged, silvania silverstars, flowmaster 40's, mild tint, planet audio rear speakers....SOLD....

2003 black, 4.10's, lidio tune, flow master 40's with after cat delete, PIAA headlamps, Metco upper/lower control arms, Metco watts link, rear Addco anti sway bar, front grill gods head, tint is beyond aggressive....SOLD....

On the LookOut for #3... Have a Blue Baby in my sights. Open to suggestions on low mile blue/black offers.

Blog Entries
    As respects selling any item it's worth what someone will pay for it.

I have seen "works of art" that were of a negative value to me and yet some one else paid millions of dollars for it.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by kartherma View Post
    At risk of being accused of blasphemy...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Come to me, Superman! I defy you! Come and kneel before Zod! Zod! "

if you are concerned of value in the event of a total loss, purchase collector car insurance with an agreed value, not a book value. It can be pricey, it can be cheap, most require it to be a non daily driver, nor work vehicle.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

In the 35 years I've had my 406 car I've seen the value go up and down. It always seemed valued less than I thought it was worth no matter how high or low, but I am an enthusiast. If rare meant dollars, my car would be worth millions.

I see the gen-4 car in much the same way. It is unique and high performance, not your every day car. I see it as Mercury's last great muscle car, but production (and I assume demand) dropped way off in 2004.

I think my 2003 will end up much like my 1963, value = demand / supply, and my 1963 is rare because nobody wanted them back then...

and that hasn't changed much.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Here's a great comparison:
    2003 BMW 5 series- a vehicle that listed for near double the MM.

Today, the 5series at about 110K miles goes for between 4-5K. Some with lower miles (45-55K) list for as much as 6k, but still sell for something that starts with a 5.

The Marauder with 110K is being offered at 7 or 8K with PLENTY of folks listing at 9, 10, or more (as long as it wasn't trashed or salvage).

The Grand Marquis and Crown Vic? 2500-3000 (even for newer 2007's with 80K on the clock).

Selling a 100k mile Marauder for 7K is a friggin victory.
    Thinking a 50K mile Marauder *should* sell for 15 or 20K might get you more money if you offer it at that price then wait for 'the right buyer'. (put the car on the market at that higher price now because it will take a while- and if someone comes along and wants to pay that... sell it quick if making the most money when you sell is the priority... people willing to pay such a premium don't come along often).

Most here do what they can to de-value the Marauder from what I've seen over the years! I seriously wonder sometimes if they are contemplating buying said car they put the value low on or if they are just that dumb not realizing what they are doing to their own car for future sale..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

That's very insightful Justbob...
    I am in the market for a Marauder. I am working on a blue one here that has 142K miles- and the price is 8k. I'm begrudgingly willing to pay 8k because here on island it will cost me 1500-2000 to ship one from the states.

As far as the de-value discussion- Sucks that truth and reality doesn't always work in the favor of our pocket books, dreams, or desires.

Mercury Marauder = fancy Grand Marquis/Crown Vic. It is bound to the GM/CV whether we like it or not. Eventually we might see it divorce (more than it already has- it sells for more than double a comparable GM/CV does right now) completely and actually start to rise in value. Probably need a few more decades of run time for that to happen though and I want to drive a car today- not in the late 2020's.

Oh, and lest I forget...
    This entire board is populated by people who feverishly seek out discounts and 'group buys'... Not exactly the spends freely crowd.

I was reminded of a situation I thought quite funny when a member here developed an air dam replacement. Then made a few extras and shared with some other board members. Soon many people wanted one- and with no shame they pestered him with requests for group buys and discounts... and this poor dude was making them essentially for his cost plus a few bucks for his time to actually make them in his garage.

I agree justbob, the board isn't interested in paying a premium for anything, much less a Marauder of garden variety quality.

Some of us just wait for the good deals. Neil got a 48k 300a with a blower kit in the trunk all in for 10k
    My dad bought a 69k silver birch that's a awesome car with tons of mods and a vortech v2 all in for 8k
    I bought a aluminator 2.3 whipple car that has 130k, silver birch for less than the average guy pays for in parts for a eaton swap
    I bought a slightly wrecked DTR for 2500.... God it's ugly too!

No way would I ever pay 10k for a 118k sun fried Florida car...

They can ask all they want,... just wait for the right buyer and sell for a good price
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

I believe it was last year when I saw a '65 Marauder with less than 10,000 miles go at auction for $26,000. I think it was Mecum. It showed up at the Volo Auto Museum shortly afterwards priced at $35,000.

Just because it's rare, doesn't mean it's valuable.
    Excess in Moderation.

Sprinkles are for winners.

Rare certainty does not equal valuable. The rarely driven low mile immaculate cars will be worth good money, everything else is a crap shoot.

For the members that own MM for a DD, I think we just want to own something you don't see everyday. The 03-04 MM to me is the last modern classic car out there that has the rep of a Grand National or an Impala SS. I don't mind driving a high mileage MM, doesn't make it less of a MM. I adopted mine and had to put in that work on her & for me it's worth 10k but to the next guy is worth 7k or less.

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by kartherma View Post

I agree justbob, the board isn't interested in paying a premium for anything, much less a Marauder of garden variety quality.

^^^THIS^^^ there are very few on this board that will lay out decent money for parts or a car. Everyone wants a deal blah blah blah. Then they berate the person who is providing the parts, because they are making a profit.

My beater will be for sale in a couple of months, I'll list it high, and sell it for whatever as long as an enthusiast gets it. I can see the $8 offers pouring in right now.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information