Thread: Advice

Advice

As some may know my car was wrecked Friday by some ugly kid..well I was in the process of changing insurance companies cause I found some for $296 instead of $375...the problem is my insurance expire friday an to renew its gon cost $408 but i dont have that for the fact that im laid off...but i do have the $296 to get the other insurance i found up an running...an on top of that I gotta pay my deductible even though it was his fault (says the police report)...an i really dont have that $500...will i be forced to renew my old policy even though i dont want to or have the money to? Or can i switch insurances an see if the new one will pick up where the old left off? Or am i up the creek cause no matter wat i aint gon have the $408 for the old insurance to renew or the $500 deductible...it ain't looking good

Quote Originally Posted by merkathomas View Post
    As some may know my car was wrecked Friday by some ugly kid..well I was in the process of changing insurance companies cause I found some for $296 instead of $375...the problem is my insurance expire friday an to renew its gon cost $408 but i dont have that for the fact that im laid off...but i do have the $296 to get the other insurance i found up an running...an on top of that I gotta pay my deductible even though it was his fault (says the police report)...an i really dont have that $500...will i be forced to renew my old policy even though i dont want to or have the money to? Or can i switch insurances an see if the new one will pick up where the old left off? Or am i up the creek cause no matter wat i aint gon have the $408 for the old insurance to renew or the $500 deductible...it ain't looking good
    If it his fault your insurance company should collect the deductible from his insurance company. Whatever insurance company you had at the time of the accident is responsible for getting your car fixed.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

So are you saying that I can still switch an everything be good?

Why are you typing, you should be in the hospital complaining of neck pain or back pain. Or some kind of pain, whatever pays the most.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

If you switch, don't expect the new company to cover you for the accident because it happened when covered by your original company. My insurance company, AMICA, bills me quarterly, if I choose to take that option. Maybe yours will too, instead of paying a year in advance. Nothing says you have to keep your insurance at one company for a full year. I wouldn't change companies now until you have this accident behind you. Why complicate the process? With an outstanding claim, another insurance company may give you a different quote or make the transfer more difficult.

And fastblackmerc is right. If the other driver is at fault, it should be their insurance company that covers the accident, including the deductible. Make sure you read and understand your own policy too. Very important.
    Last edited by MM03MOK; 11-22-2010 at 07:27 AM.
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

Quote Originally Posted by MM03MOK View Post
    If you switch, don't expect the new company to cover you for the accident because it happened when covered by your original company. My insurance company, AMICA, bills me quarterly, if I choose to take that option. Maybe yours will too, instead of paying a year in advance. Nothing says you have to keep your insurance at one company for a full year. I wouldn't change companies now until you have this accident behind you. Why complicate the process? With an outstanding claim, another insurance company may give you a different quote or make the transfer more difficult.

And fastblackmerc is right. If the other driver is at fault, it should be their insurance company that covers the accident, including the deductible. Make sure you read and understand your own policy too. Very important.
    Follow Mary's suggestion not to switch while a claim is in process. It's unpredictable what the new insurance company charges even so the accident was not your fault. Most ins. companies have monthly payment charges without any extra penalties.

Try to settle the claim first, than decide if you switch at a lower rate.

It seems rather odd they would total your Marauder just because of the expense of a header panel, which costs +/- $420. Make sure you take your Marauder to at least three shops.

Also, Are you getting the use of a car while your car is out of service?
    2003 MERCURY MARAUDER #5701
    Mods: JLT CAI, SS INSERTS, MARTYO FENDER BADGES,4" Res. Delete tips
    ORIGINAL OWNER, 1 OF 470 FOR CANADA

Something just doesn't sound right about this explanation. Why would his insurance expire on a Friday in the middle of the month? My policies run for a 6 month period from 1 January to 30 June and then another 6 months from 1 July until 31 December. It has been that way for years.

If his insurance expired on Friday, this may mean that it expired at midnight on 18 November and he was not covered at the time of the accident. If it expired a midnight on 19 November, then he really doesn't have a problem. His insurance company is responsible and he must cover the deductible until the insurance company can recover from the "at fault" driver's insurance company. If he missed a scheduled monthly or quarterly payment, then he is subject to the terms of the policy on when the coverage ceases to be in effect.

Bottomline is that he was either covered or not covered based on the timing of the accident and the actual timing of the coverage expiration. The talk about switching insurance companies is really immateriel.... especially if he is considering the switch after the fact.

JMHO.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

From what I understand, the other driver's insurance company has the obligation to contact you. They should then make a determination as to the causal factors of the accident (if you have collision coverage). From what you describe, the police report will shed light as to the proximate cause of the accident. If the other driver's insurance accepts responsibility, you should NOT need to pay any deductable. If the other driver's insurance denies responsibility, your insurance will pay for your car, less deductable. You just get into a pissing contest as to the car's value. After your insurance pays, you will be asked to subrogate the claim to your insurance company. They will in turn attempt to collect from the other driver. The first of any money collected will be used to compensate you for your deductable.

Hope this is not too convoluted and is of some help.

Thread Information