Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need job advice

Question Need job advice

Alright gang, need to know what to do here. A just started a job this week and before I was hired I told my boss what I am doing with my life and how I am gone for weeks at a time. I mentioned the dates I would be gone up front. He said right now it's okay, but come summer if I am not around I will be gone. So in the end, I don't expect to keep this job because of the Rock Camps and the tour of Germany.

So here's the problem for now. I told him last week I would be leaving town thursday until the following tuesday night. So I am leaving in two days. The boss is a bit older and I had a feeling he would forget.... and I was right. Today he was just talking about having me come in on thursday, the day I leave town. This is his own fault that he forgot and I told him a week ago that I would be leaving this week... again even before hired I told him the dates.

Maybe some would say why care, it's his fault? Well I can tell this guy isn't really a happy person. He yells at the others and is very short tempered, but he's really good to me. I always said thank you to him, looked at him in the eye and never yelled nor has he yelled at me. He actually seems happier. Today he actually said please and thank you to me. I know this may seem "gay" to some, but I can tell this guy needed some kinda "up" in his life and I guess I was it... not to stroke my ego or anything, but I guess he isn't used to good help. I did everything they asked of me the first time with little or no instruction and always find something to do when there is nothing to do, plus I enjoy it. Or maybe I just get along really well with A-holes.

So I don't know what to do about this. I don't know if I can tell him tomorrow "I'm not coming in tomorrow. I told you last week, but you must have forgotten." I know they are going to be short staffed this weekend because I overheard another guy mention how he's going to be gone all weekend and another is probably going to be fired maybe as soon as tomorrow.

In the end I will probably lose it anyway because of a trip to Vegas for a Rock Camp just before KY that just came up, but not confirmed if I will be there. Germany wasn't mentioned either because these two things came up just this week. The guy knows music is what I wanna do with my life and I cannot pass any of these events up. So finally the question is why even stick around? Well the events aren't everyday, sometimes every other month... so I still need a way to make money when London isn't Calling so to say.

I am still leaving town when I need to, nothing is stopping me. I just don't know if I should say it to the guy or leave a note on the door. I am not going to quit, but I do have the feeling this will be the first time I will ever be fired... even if it's due the boss forgetting something. I was thinking of writing a letter and leaving it before I leave town, but I don't want him to wake up to the bad news. I don't wanna lie and say I'm coming in the next day when I am not. I just don't have the balls to say to this guy that he forgot what I told him, because I know the weekend will be hell. Maybe it's better that I say it so he has enough notice to find cover for the weekend, but I just don't know.

I would like to stay because I really enjoy the work and like my boss. I just doubt they will want me around because I leave town so often to pursue my passion. I always mentioned the dates up front, but even after the first week they don't remember. I feel like I am being a let down, even if it's not my fault. It took me a while to find something and better yet it's in my area, so I just walk to work. I don't have to worry about gas prices!

What to do?
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

I honestly think you should have brought it up right when he mentioned it to you, that way there is no confusion about it.

Assuming that wasn't possible, I always figure it better to let management know ASAP in case they have to schedule someone else to work or have to change other plans around that depended on you. Leaving a note basically after the fact is almost a sure-fire way to get canned, at least I wouldn't take kindly to an employee doing that to me, it kinda says I'm not worth the time or respect to talk to me about it in person.

And on that note, how you phrase things will be paramount. Instead of telling him "you forgot", don't put emphasis on him when you bring it up; say "I did mention it" or something to that effect. An intelligent person will understand you are still basically saying they forgot, except they will also see that you are not trying to call them out on it, just stating fact. Little things like that shape the emotional state of people and shape their opinion of you in subtle ways that can end up making a huge difference in regards to the outcome. If he's prone to forgetting things though and then says you never told him or blames you for the misinformation on his part frequently when you DID inform him, I'd think it's safe to say you are going to have a largely unpleasant experience at this job over time.

Good luck man.

Oh yeah I wasn't going to say "You forgot." I know what you mean dude, I just almost feel like I should have said something today, I was just kinda like a deer in the lights... oh well. I will sleep on it, but I need to hear how you guys think I should approach this.

My thoughts ...

Wed AM go meet with him. Hey boss, yesterday I thought I heard you mention that you need me in on Thursday? Whats going on? If you recall, I have a preplanned trip that I told you about 2 weeks ago. This trip is an opportunity for me to pursue my music career and I really would like to attend. Are you still okay with me taking Thursday thru Tuesday off?

Then, in the near future ... I would mention the possibility of Germany and the Rock Camp to him. Hey, you never know ... they might want to keep you around and not ban () you.
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

My company has forms that we have to fill out to take time off. The owners then approve and sign them. Then there is a paper trail, maybe you guys should do something similar?

Agree with the above, tell the man up front, and being a bit patronizing isn't a bad idea either, (e.g. "I mentioned this to you the other day, but I know you have a lot on your mind with the business and all...")

Also, something to think about Dom: a job pays alot better than a passion does. I know you've got Rock Camps, your trip to Germany, etc. in the works, but ultimately, where are those headed? Will they enable you to make a decent living down the road, or are they just a good time? A time comes in a man's life when he's got to make choices that have long term implications. Some times those choices aren't the most fun, but they are usually the best choice in the long run. Take it from an "old guy" that has been there, done that.

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Shoot Dom, when you leave for the day on Wednesday leave a smokey burnout in the parking lot and flip him the bird.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

I always either go to work early or at the end of the day to discuss my time off. Then I fill out the form to take time off and I mark it on my boss' calender so he can see it. I've corrected my boss plenty of times about our work schedual and my time off. It's no big deal. They have alot more on their minds than our petty lives. Honesty and being polite is always a win win for all.

But Haggis has a great idea too!!

Great quotes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

Maybe one of the moderators will write a note for you?
    Excess in Moderation.

Sprinkles are for winners.

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAJ View Post
    Maybe one of the moderators will write a note for you?
    Hahahahahaha

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    My company has forms that we have to fill out to take time off. The owners then approve and sign them. Then there is a paper trail, maybe you guys should do something similar?
    Duh! Winning!!! All companies should do this no matter how big or small.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-16-2011 at 06:01 AM.
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

LOL at the {serious} advice givers!

Now go trade in your MM's for miata's!
    2003 300B DBP Marauder "beauty"
    Born 2/4/2003
    Adopted 8/17/2010

2003 300A black Marauder "beast"
    Adopted 7/15/2015

2013 Hyundia Elantra "eeew"

2013 Ford Explorer, loaded, nice truck!
    Adopted 12/6/2017

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cheesehead View Post
    Agree with the above, tell the man up front, and being a bit patronizing isn't a bad idea either, (e.g. "I mentioned this to you the other day, but I know you have a lot on your mind with the business and all...")

Also, something to think about Dom: a job pays alot better than a passion does. I know you've got Rock Camps, your trip to Germany, etc. in the works, but ultimately, where are those headed? Will they enable you to make a decent living down the road, or are they just a good time? A time comes in a man's life when he's got to make choices that have long term implications. Some times those choices aren't the most fun, but they are usually the best choice in the long run. Take it from an "old guy" that has been there, done that.
    Words of wisdom Dom, most employers need workers they can count on to be at work every day not part-time. Maybe you should offer your services to your employer as a "temp" employee. If you need regular pay checks then you have a decision to make, are you going to be someone he can rely on, are you simply a person to "fill in" when someone doesn't show up......
    Last edited by vkirkend; 03-16-2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: edit
    2004 MM (Black) #112 of 3213 (SOLD)

2022 Ford Ff-150 SuperCab Iconic Silver "Powerboost"
    3.35 L 4X4
    -AND-
    SLAYER1
    formerly owned by "Impala Slayer!! 2004 SB MM
    Kenne Belle 2.8 (Liquid Cooled), MMR "Boss 302" Block, L&M Engines rebuild Kooks Headers and cats, Accusump Pre-Oiler Dynamax VT mufflers, MBS 2 1/2" exhaust, 4.10's, 2800 stall, Argento 312 "Color" Powder coated wheels, Rears widened 1 1/2 "703
    702 RWHP/653 RWTQ @ 21 Lbs. Boost, M/M catch can, 3 pillar gauge (Boost, Fuel, air intake and coolant temp, custom console cover, S-55 treatment etc...

I would remind him of the conversation. I have to do the same thing with my boss when it comes to attending Marauder events. Prime example, Charlotte. When I got back, he asked where I'd been, lol.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Sorry Dom, I couldn't read that long dissertation.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that you should do whatever you feel like doing with no concern for your action's consequences.

Kinda like Charlie Sheen.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information