Thread: Gerry Goffin - R.I.P.

Gerry Goffin - R.I.P.

Legendary lyricist, aka: songwriter, Gerry Goffin passed away yesterday. He wrote or co-wrote some of my favorite songs.........

"Gerry Goffin was born in Brooklyn, New York on February 11, 1939. Following graduation from Brooklyn Technical High School, Goffin enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve, which later led to his admission to the Annapolis Naval Academy. After his first year in Annapolis, Goffin resigned and enrolled in Queens College with a chemistry major.

At Queens, he met Carole King, a fellow student and education major. A lifetime musical collaboration began almost immediately. Goffin had been writing lyrics since the age of eight but had never been able to find a collaborator with whom he could feel comfortable. As he and King began writing, the combination seemed to work right away and music became their full time careers.

Goffin and King married in 1959 and took daytime jobs, he as an assistant chemist and she as a secretary, to support their music endeavors. At night and on weekends, they pursued their songwriting career, and were signed to Don Kirschner and Al Nevins’ Aldon Music in 1960. Their first big break came that same year with a recording by The Shirrelles of their song, "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?".

During the next eight years, the team of Goffin and King enjoyed more than 50 top 40 hits, among them "Take Good Care of My Baby," recorded by Bobby Vee; "Go Away Little Girl," recorded by Steve Lawrence; “Up on the Roof," recorded by The Drifters; and a plethora of others including "Locomotion," "Halfway to Paradise," "Hey Girl," "Natural Woman," "Just Once in My Life," and "Don't Say Nothin' Bad About My Baby.” Goffin also collaborated with another Aldon Music composer, Barry Mann, on the top ten hit "Who Put the Bomp (In the Bomp Bomp Bomp Bomp)."

Although their marriage ended in divorce in 1968, the couple continued to work together, writing "Hi-De-Ho" for Blood, Sweat and Tears, and "Smackwater Jack," which appeared on King’s multi-platinum album Tapestry.

During the 1970s, Goffin collaborated with other songwriters such as Russ Titelman, Barry Goldberg ("I've Got to Use My Imagination," recorded by Gladys Knight and the Pips, and "It's Not the Spotlight," recorded by Rod Stewart) and Michael Masser. Masser and Goffin earned an Oscar nomination for “Theme of Mahogany” and a Golden Globe nomination for “So Sad the Song”.

Goffin continued producing hit songs in the 1980’s and 90’s with "Tonight I Celebrate My Love," "Time, Don't Run Out on Me," "A Long and Lasting Love," and "Savin' All My Love for You," the latter the song that virtually assured musical stardom for Whitney Houston. And in 1996, Goffin released his second album Back Room Blood."
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Their first big break came that same year with a recording by The Shirrelles of their song, "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?".

During the next eight years, the team of Goffin and King enjoyed more than 50 top 40 hits, among them "Take Good Care of My Baby," recorded by Bobby Vee; "Go Away Little Girl," recorded by Steve Lawrence; “Up on the Roof," recorded by The Drifters; and a plethora of others including "Locomotion," "Halfway to Paradise," "Hey Girl," "Natural Woman," "Just Once in My Life," and "Don't Say Nothin' Bad About My Baby.” Goffin also collaborated with another Aldon Music composer, Barry Mann, on the top ten hit "Who Put the Bomp (In the Bomp Bomp Bomp Bomp)."
    I remember all of the songs from the '60s ... just didn't know who wrote them ... only the performers.

R.I.P. Gerry Goffin !!
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Gerry and Carole were two of the greatest songwriters ever...right up there with Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Same sometime (most times) you like a song but seldom know who wrote it. Song writers are the force behind the songs

R.I.P. Gerry Goffin, God speed on your trip home.
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Thread Information