Thread: How to fry the driver side master control module

Angry How to fry the driver side master control module

Violating my own rule about drinks in my new Marauder (i.e., only bottle drinks with caps), I was going through the drive through at KFC and got a large Pepsi. The drink was over filled and the lid popped off while I was holding it in my left had. The drink slipped out of my hand and turned completely upside down, dumping the entire contents directly on the the flat driver side master control panel. I was in traffic and couldn't stop right away, but brushed the ice and as much drink off the panel as I could. I stopped and sopped up as much as I could with a towel, and of course when I got home I dried off everything with a bath towel.

The next morning on the way to work the driver side window went down all by itself. I put it back up, then a minute later it went down again. Then I could hear sizzling coming from the window control buttons. The "one touch down" also stopped working. "At least I can get it to go back up" I thought, worried that it would stick in the down position. After going down five times, it stopped going back up when I pushed the button.

When I got to work, I discovered I could cycle the power by turning the ignition off and this would allow the window to be raised. If I immediately turned off the ignition it would stay up, otherwise it would immediately go back down.

I took it to my dealer later that day, pulling into the service department moments before a gully-washer storm hit. My service tech said he'd never seen this happen before and thought the master control module was bad anyway -- after all, this area gets wet when you open the door in the rain, and customers spilling drinks in their cars is not unheard of. I don't think he realized what a direct hit and how much this module had been exposed to. Unfortunately he did'nt have a loaner to send me out in, so we decided to disable the power windows by pulling a relay out until I could bring it in early in the day to leave it. That evening, I lifted the door control out and looked at the module -- and you could see that it still had liquid Pepsi seeped inside. I disconnected the module from the connectors, swabbed out the inside of the door area to get the rest of the soda out, then carefully wiped down the module, blew out any liquid that was inside, and using a Q-tip and alcohol, cleaned up the module as best I could. I didn't open the module, though it appears you can do so, but gently blew air through it to dry it out.

Apparently this worked, because when I took the MM back for the service call, the mechanic could find no faults and the window worked perfectly when the relay was re-inserted. I probably could have saved the hassle of taking it in if I had put the relay back in myself and tested it, but at least I have the peace of mind that the service tech checked out operation of the window and the control system.

TripleTransAm Guest

Re: How to fry the driver side master control module

Originally posted by Donny Carlson
    That evening, I lifted the door control out and looked at the module -- and you could see that it still had liquid Pepsi seeped inside.

I wonder if Coke would have resulted in the same malfunctions?

Looks like the syrup/sugar in the drink wreaked havoc with the contacts.

You're lucky it didn't catch on fire! I had the panel in my Lincoln do that (not by soda, but just by itself, probably rain water I didn't notice...) and noticed when nothing worked over there anymore. When I pulled the panel, the control itself was a melted pile of copper and wiring...

Not to rain on your parade, but keep an eye on the module. The acidic nature of the soda may cuase problems that pop up later.

Nonetheless, kudos for the manner in which you dealt with the problem as there was really little more that you could have done.

^^^what martyo said^^^

In a prior life, I used to repair professional audio and video equipment...spilling Coke/Pepsi/TAB/7-UP/Coffee/Tea/Beer/Scotch etc (anything but plain water) onto a printed circuit board is almost certain death...usually not right away, but it WILL happen...if it did in fact get only on the plug-in connectors and the outside of the module housing, and you cleaned it all as you said, then you may be OK...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Ah! The old "Pepsi Syndrome" strikes again.
    1965 FALCON WAGON
    1967 RANCHERO
    1968 MUSTANG GT FASTBACK
    2004 300B MARAUDER TRILOGY #127
    Retired 2003 300A MARAUDER
    NEW ADDITION! 1968 Shelby GT 350

I get that all the time in my line of work. "You let the magic smoke out, now those electronics don't work anymore. I'll have to put more magic smoke in them."
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Thread Information