Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rearend Kaboom Help Needed ASAP

Rearend Kaboom Help Needed ASAP

Took the car into the shop today because after having the rear axles replaced and rearend checked out about 6 months ago by a different shop, I have had a roaring ever since.

New shop just called and said the roaring is the ring/pinion mesh and it appears to be way out of spec and there is tons of metal shavings in the fluid. They think a full rebuild is needed with ring and pinion replacement. They didn't really want to take the job as they said they believed they would recommend a differential only shop to get it as good as it could be and use the right parts. This shop has 39 out of 40 5 star ratings...so whatever that means.

So they said parts can run up to a grand and labor another grand, and that they were hesitant about doing the job...this price seems high.

They did recommend another shop, which I will also call.

So my question is, if the ring and pinion has to be replaced and everything but the axles...as I am hoping they are fine...they should be since they were just replaced... then how much should I be paying??

I guess I should probably go 4.10 if I am replacing the whole thing, so BlueOval has the 4.10 ring and pinion (4.10 Ring Pinion Gears, Ford Pinion Nut, Ford Crush Sleeve) & Traction-Lok Rebuild Kit (Clutchpak, Shims, & Friction Mod) for $233.95 shipped. Do I need more than that? The only seperate thing I see listed is 31 spline differential...which to my understanding I don't want since I have 28.

So if I get the above 4.10 ring and pinion kit and traction-lok rebuild kit, and fluid is that all I should need, then labor? How much should I be looking at?

I also see Sparta has 4.10 gears with rebuild kit, install pack, and S spring for around 388.96...should I be going that route instead??

Searched and it seemed the average people were listing was $600 with rebuild installed...thats far from $2000...so I need to know before I tell them yes or no.

Thanks
    Last edited by capt512; 07-25-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    Black 2003 300A Marauder Build Date 06-02 100K Miles
    Bought used 05/07/11

HID Morimoto Mini Projector Headlights (built myself), HID Morimoto Matchbox Projector Foglights, Pioneer Z140BH Headunit w/Pioneer 3 way speakers, XM Radio, backup cam, GMRS radio installed, LED backlit gauge cluster, tint, McGard & Gorilla locking lugs (all of them), Cooper RS3A tires, dead pedal, 4.10s, MO's Tune, 3" Fuel Filter.

00 White CVPI (KTA Car)

1995 Chevy Suburban K1500

One option might be to get a replacement from a junkyard?
    2004 Black Marauder: #2237 Born on 4/1/2004

Eaton Swapped and a bunch of other goodies!

Here is mine after the KABOOM! I did installed the ring/pinion with new bearings myself for a little over a couple hundred. Add in a shop's labor I would say $500-$600 should be about right.

11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Being that they said you need new this and that but would recommend you elsewhere. I'd try getting another opinion before I buy everything I possibly don't need. They possibly could be wrong.

And shouldn't be no where near $2k ...most rear end labor is $250-$300

But yes while it's apart might as well upgrade your gear.
    My opinion I'd go 4.10 if its a road/highway car and 4.30 if its moderate city driving
    (I have 4.10 but want 4.30)

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Here is mine after the KABOOM! I did installed the ring/pinion with new bearings myself for a little over a couple hundred. Add in a shop's labor I would say $500-$600 should be about right.

Dang you let a rip on that thing lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blk04MM View Post
    Dang you let a rip on that thing lol
    Drove it home too! Shop that did the 4.10 install a couple years ago did not shim it correctly either... Sad that I can do a better job than a race shop...

Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

So I just called Inland Truck, Certified Transmission, Leibrands Automotive, Christian Brother's Automotive, and Thoroughbred Ford. The cheapest estimate for ring and pinion replacement and a rebuild was $1800. Most wanted closer to $2300+.
    Bought used 05/07/11

HID Morimoto Mini Projector Headlights (built myself), HID Morimoto Matchbox Projector Foglights, Pioneer Z140BH Headunit w/Pioneer 3 way speakers, XM Radio, backup cam, GMRS radio installed, LED backlit gauge cluster, tint, McGard & Gorilla locking lugs (all of them), Cooper RS3A tires, dead pedal, 4.10s, MO's Tune, 3" Fuel Filter.

00 White CVPI (KTA Car)

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Drove it home too! Shop that did the 4.10 install a couple years ago did not shim it correctly either... Sad that I can do a better job than a race shop...

'Race shop' probably couldn't figure out why you were souping up a Lincoln Town Car.

... but but but it's not a mustang. *head explodes*

Quote Originally Posted by capt512 View Post
    So I just called Inland Truck, Certified Transmission, Leibrands Automotive, Christian Brother's Automotive, and Thoroughbred Ford. The cheapest estimate for ring and pinion replacement and a rebuild was $1800. Most wanted closer to $2300+.
    You could pay for tickets, fly me down and back plus parts and it would be cheaper... I don't eat much either!

I would see if there's a pony shop around or even maybe another member that has done this before around.

Drag racers prayer:

Fyi

I doubt any estimates include a proper repair, which would include a complete disassembly and a power wash. The pinion area is very difficult to access and clean. Contamination gets everywhere. I recommend a solid pinion spacer, instead of the crush spacer, 31 spline axles, and a Eaton mechanical locking differential.

Your least expensive option is a used assembly.

==================
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Only 2 shops the mustang or race guys had any recommendations for, and both have horrific reviews and in fact have been removed as members from the sites they posted on because of bad business. Don't know of anyone local to do the work. Was fine with spending up to around $1000 on repairs, but $2000+ is more than I can afford for a rearend on a stock car with 100,000 miles on it.
    Bought used 05/07/11

00 White CVPI (KTA Car)

Used for you

You need a used axle assembly. Should be ~50 available in a big city like KC

=======
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

2 Rearends @ Junkyards, neither are 3.55 locking...both with over 100,000 miles on them. One for $900 and the other for $850...and I might end up having to rebuild them...

Problem is our local cab company slams the yards and buys all the intakes, engines, transmissions, and rear ends as soon as they come in. Spent 3 months looking for a fascia for a crown vic alone, because of those cab companies.
    Last edited by capt512; 07-25-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Bought used 05/07/11

00 White CVPI (KTA Car)

Carparts.com is your buddie in times like this....

yes

Quote Originally Posted by wannaMM View Post
    Carparts.com is your buddie in times like this....
    I had to go 100 miles to get a drivers door for my MM. Too bad the cab companies are scrounging the yards in KC, that changes the game big time! I used Carparts.com for parts - very good source!

===========

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information