Thread: Maintenance/upgrade suggestions while engine is out of car?

Maintenance/upgrade suggestions while engine is out of car?

Took the car to the shop for noise check...diagnosis: chain tensioner driver side bad so had both done...car still had some noise...now it's at least bearings and crankshaft replace or repair...long story short...engine is now out of car and going to be fully disassembled cleaned and repaired...so...while it's out of the car and access to things are greatly improved, I was looking for thoughts on what other things I may want to take care of...

I just replaced the BCM myself a few weeks ago so that's ok...
    I am having a cooling mod done...
    I am having spark plug inserts put in the heads (already have 3 helicoils after I changed the original spark plugs in 2014 so that issue will be gone)...
    I am having belt/tensioner/pulleys and power steering pump replaced (I had those parts already)...

Some scrambled base info...it's an early '03 car (5/29/02 #157). I bought it in July 2012 with 85k now it has 155k. I have a K&N CAI I installed in 2013 and JLT oil catch can with new PCV and hose that I just put on a few weeks ago. IAC/TPS I replaced in 2015. I did LCM/EATC/compass in 2013 and larger fuel filter in 2015. Lidio canned 93 tune in 2014. 245/55 all the way around. Windows tinted as dark as FL law allows (28/15 I think it is). Audiophile radio now, with a Pioneer tuner and Alpine amps and speakers swap to do as soon as I dedicate some time to it. Drilled slotted rotors in 2013. Replaced rear air springs and compressor in 2013. Stainless steel brake lines in hand but I never got around to having them put on (that will be done soon though). Ford Focus fuel pump sitting around to upgrade/replace if/when the original goes bad (maybe I'll be smart and replace it before the original goes bad).

I have an 18 month old child now so I can't go crazy and slap a supercharger on it at the moment or anything ($$$), but I want to keep the car for the foreseeable future and have a safe and reliable daily driver that I can have a little fun with here and there. I am already spending a lot of money with what's being fixed now, although I am fortunate that I am getting a bit of a break from what others might be paying, as I have known the shop manager for most of my life and is one of my best friends and I trust them. Body and interior are in great shape. In the future I will be fully replacing/upgrading the rear axle components to 31 spline (already dealt with a soft axle replacement in 2015) and slightly leaning to stay with 3:55s (although I do also have the 4:10 Lidio canned 93 tune to make that possibility a bit less painful if I so chose and if I replace everything anyway there isn't really a cost difference switching the gear ratio except slight gas mileage), and if finances allow get a repainting (although it's not too bad now for an almost 16 year old car).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by MMinWPB; 04-21-2018 at 07:42 AM.

My engine is out now also. Cleaning engine bay is easier and relatively cheap. Take out the battery tray. Clean off the rust and repaint under it. Also cheap is remove wipers & motor to clean out leaves/dirt that have accumulated. Get some cans of brake clean to spray off all visible grease. Easy time to replace the sway bar rubbers. You might want to change out the starter motor while its easy even if old one is good. I waxed the 15 year old cowl black paint after cleaning it.
    BUCKWHEAT 03 MM 300A-August, '02 mfgr, black w/ blue metallic clearcoat, 94,000 miles, Texid stroker 5.0, #15 Kool-Aide w/ SnakeBite porting, Venom cooling, and upgraded to M122, 3873 of 7839

Good ideas thank you. I think they did clean out the leaves/debris but all the other stuff I hadn't thought of.

Maintenance/upgrade suggestions while engine is out of car?

If a supercharger is even remotely a thought for future upgrades then I wouldn’t hesitate the slightest bit to swap out the pistons and connecting rods to something forged. The stock crank is plenty fine for good horse power and you can save a good amount by just having it machined.

The rods and pistons are the only real weak link in the engine, however I know all too well about budgeting, or lack there of...

Also I would have the heads rebuilt at your mileage because of all the known valve issues that creep up unannounced.

Or be like me and simply go overboard and worry about the funding later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Good time to paint/powder coat parts.

The gasket on the oil filter housing is easier now that you have access. I'd do engine mounts, too. I am right across the state from you in Fort Myers.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    If a supercharger is even remotely a thought for future upgrades then I wouldn’t hesitate the slightest bit to swap out the pistons and connecting rods to something forged. The stock crank is plenty fine for good horse power and you can save a good amount by just having it machined.

The rods and pistons are the only real weak link in the engine, however I know all too well about budgeting, or lack there of...

Also I would have the heads rebuilt at your mileage because of all the known valve issues that creep up unannounced.

Or be like me and simply go overboard and worry about the funding later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Anything worth doing, is worth over doing......
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

maybe drill a few holes in the tray for the air pump for the rear air bags. I'd also make sure you change the radiator hoses. Most are not made anymore but while the engine is apart you can take the old ones to a parts store and get some that are almost a perfect match. I posted on here a while ago at least one or two modern replacements.
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

I do appreciate all the comments. I have noted them all on my list of additional things to get done. Hoping to find out about tmy crankshaft later today.

Quote Originally Posted by stevengerard View Post
    maybe drill a few holes in the tray for the air pump for the rear air bags. I'd also make sure you change the radiator hoses. Most are not made anymore but while the engine is apart you can take the old ones to a parts store and get some that are almost a perfect match. I posted on here a while ago at least one or two modern replacements.
    Rock Auto has all the hoses you need for the cooling system.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

The little problem cost me about $6000.00+

Ford Focus fuel pump?

Quote Originally Posted by MMinWPB View Post
    Ford Focus fuel pump sitting around to upgrade/replace if/when the original goes bad (maybe I'll be smart and replace it before the original goes bad).
    I had heard that this was a good upgrade to make, so I bought the indicated Focus pump. But it doesn't look like a direct swap.

Are you planning to take the cylindrical pump unit only from the Focus assembly and install it into the Marauder unit, keeping the original float, etc.?
    Yours truly,
    Meteorite - Royal Oak, Michigan

2003 300A - Black VIN = xxxxxxxxxxx600051 *** Build Date = 3/13/2002
    Best e.t. -- 12.31 @ 111.5 mph *** Now with: Trilogy #220, Alternative Auto Performance Tune + 4.10 Gears +SW headers + Metco control arms + Addco front and rear sta-bars + Dynotech Metal Matrix Driveshaft + Weldcraft widened wheels & MT drag radials.

2003 300B - Blue

And now ... 2003 Black (Trilogy #58)

1962 Mercury Meteor & 1963 Mercury Meteor

Yes on the fuel pump. I did buy the whole Focus assembly, but will be using just the pump itself. It's honestly been a few years since I read up on the exact procedure; if I recall correctly there won't need to be any wire splices (e.g., the pump wiring is plug and play)...

Quote Originally Posted by MMinWPB View Post
    Yes on the fuel pump. I did buy the whole Focus assembly, but will be using just the pump itself. It's honestly been a few years since I read up on the exact procedure; if I recall correctly there won't need to be any wire splices (e.g., the pump wiring is plug and play)...

Thanks! I appreciate it.
    Yours truly,
    Meteorite - Royal Oak, Michigan

2003 300A - Black VIN = xxxxxxxxxxx600051 *** Build Date = 3/13/2002
    Best e.t. -- 12.31 @ 111.5 mph *** Now with: Trilogy #220, Alternative Auto Performance Tune + 4.10 Gears +SW headers + Metco control arms + Addco front and rear sta-bars + Dynotech Metal Matrix Driveshaft + Weldcraft widened wheels & MT drag radials.

2003 300B - Blue

And now ... 2003 Black (Trilogy #58)

1962 Mercury Meteor & 1963 Mercury Meteor

Thread Information