Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My rear is lumpsided

adrian36 Guest

My rear is lumpsided .5 inch difference!!!

Ok, enough with the comments I have noticed that the driver's side rear is about .5 of an inch lower than the passenger side rear. I have moved the car to even pavement, had my neighbor 250+ pounds to sit in the rear and the car sinks but the air bags kick in and the susp. rises. I had him sit on the pass. side rear and the susp rises but the driver side is still .5 inch lower.
    The rear driver side is exactly .5 inch lower than passenger side rear. The front is completely even 29 3/8 and 28 7/8= .5 inch lower.

Please any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Is it normal for the car rear susp to be off by .5 inch or should I take it in for warranty??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by adrian36; 09-12-2004 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian36
    Ok, enough with the comments I have noticed that the driver's side rear is about .5 of an inch lower than the passenger side rear. I have moved the car to even pavement, had my neighbor 250+ pounds to sit in the rear and the car sinks but the air bags kick in and the susp. rises. I had him sit on the pass. side rear and the susp rises but the driver side is still .5 inch lower.
    The rear driver side is exactly .5 inch lower than passenger side rear. The front is completely even 29 3/8 and 28 7/8= .5 inch lower.

Please any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Is it normal for the car rear susp to be off by .5 inch or should I take it in for warranty??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ardian, how are you taking these measurements ?????/

drobin
    "Donald"
    03MM-300A
    Build Date 6/05/02
    673 of #7093 Black

Your car hasn't been in an accident has it???
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

adrian36 Guest

It is obvious to the naked eye

Quote Originally Posted by drobin
    Ardian, how are you taking these measurements ?????/

drobin
    "Donald"
    I am measuring from the ground up, center of rim to the fender. The right way. help

adrian36 Guest

No accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh
    Your car hasn't been in an accident has it???

No accident, clean only 9800 miles

Are you refering to the rear bumper cover? There have been threads refering to this problem here. If it's the actual frame height that's off, I would take it in. I'd take it in for the bumper cover also. Either way, you spent good money for a new car and it should be right, and even.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

adrian36 Guest

No,not the bumber cover

I stand in front of the rear tire facing the rim god's head. It is sagging .5 inch on driver side rear. Pass. side ok

Definite trip to the dealer is what you should plan. My buddy had one with both sides of fenders down over wheels (fender lip covered top of tire). It just plain didn't look right, especially next to mine. I told him, he agreed that it was different, but he liked the look. There is a sensor for the air suspension, I don't know if it can be tilted, but you can adjust overall ride height with it. When you put the smaller front springs in, it's how you restore the original rake to the car.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

It sounds to me that what Paul is talking about is much more serious. I wouldn't go to the dealer just yet if I were you.Not to sound rediculous, but if you're measuring it that way(from the wheel to the fender lip), then have you also checked the PSI in both back tires before you do that w/a tire pressure gauge that's accurate as well as repeatable? I wouldn't measure it that way. I use a flexible tape measure and take the measurement from the pavement to the fender lip. That way, you take the tire inflation differences out of the equation. And by doing it that way, you just might find that there's only a 1/4 inch difference between the left and right sides. Which is nothing. Personally, I wouldn't even worry about a 1/2 inch difference either. That isn't even something you can see. My Vette was the same way. The only reason I measured it was because I just replaced the rear spring.

But you might want to make sure that one of your rear shock absorbers aren't broken in half or bent right in the middle. I say this because of the fact that when my Marauder had merely 4,000 miles on the clock, I noticed that the driver's side rear shock was broken in half, and the passenger side rear shock was bent right at the same place. And I didn't even know it. The only reason I noticed it was because I went to remove the snow tires that I had on. I assumed the shocks were broken because of the boneheads at one of the dyno places that I went to, since they put the tiedown straps around the shocks (I learned about this at a later date) but now you have me wondering if it was due to faulty shocks. Some people claim that shock absorbers cannot effect the ride height at all, but I know for a fact that this theory is NOT true. The shocks won't effect ride height as much as the springs will, but they WILL effect it to a lesser degree. Anyway, I suggest that you check the two things I mentioned, and get back to us to let us know what you've found. I'm routing for ya here.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 09-12-2004 at 11:03 PM.

adrian36 Guest

I did as you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    It sounds to me that what Paul is talking about is much more serious. I wouldn't go to the dealer just yet if I were you.Not to sound rediculous, but if you're measuring it that way(from the wheel to the fender lip), then have you also checked the PSI in both back tires before you do that w/a tire pressure gauge that's accurate as well as repeatable? I wouldn't measure it that way. I use a flexible tape measure and take the measurement from the pavement to the fender lip. That way, you take the tire inflation differences out of the equation. And by doing it that way, you just might find that there's only a 1/4 inch difference between the left and right sides. Which is nothing. Personally, I wouldn't even worry about a 1/2 inch difference either. That isn't even something you can see. My Vette was the same way. The only reason I measured it was because I just replaced the rear spring.

But you might want to make sure that one of your rear shock absorbers aren't broken in half or bent right in the middle. I say this because of the fact that when my Marauder had merely 4,000 miles on the clock, I noticed that the driver's side rear shock was broken in half, and the passenger side rear shock was bent right at the same place. And I didn't even know it. The only reason I noticed it was because I went to remove the snow tires that I had on. I assumed the shocks were broken because of the boneheads at one of the dyno places that I went to, since they put the tiedown straps around the shocks (I learned about this at a later date) but now you have me wondering if it was due to faulty shocks. Some people claim that shock absorbers cannot effect the ride height at all, but I know for a fact that this theory is NOT true. The shocks won't effect ride height as much as the springs will, but they WILL effect it to a lesser degree. Anyway, I suggest that you check the two things I mentioned, and get back to us to let us know what you've found. I'm routing for ya here.
    I measured from the pavement up the center of the rim to the fender. I did check the psi in tirew with a digital tire press. guage. Tire press. even. I cant see why it would be off by .5 inch. It is obvious to the naked eye. I will call the dealer to see when I can take it in.

I believe there are specs for measurements from frame to ground, probably in alignment or frame straightening specs. If the measurements from frame to ground are ok that should rule out a suspension issue, then it would most likely be the body mounting bolts/bushings. I have heard of these being loose on some cars, usually the complaint is a clunking noise in the rear.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

I don't know what made you even measure that in the first place, but I bet that if you went in a parking lot and started taking those same measurements from left to right on peoples' cars, that you would find that same 1/4 to 1/2" difference on more than half of the cars on the street that have more than 5,000 miles on them. It would be another story if the difference was 1.5" or more. I still think it's no big deal unless one of your rear shocks are broken, but it's your car dude. If someone is driving behind your car they would never notice an uneven ride height. That's what I meant. You notice it, since you've measured it, and you know it's there. But I think you're worrying about nothing. BTW, I hope you checked the shocks like I suggested.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 09-13-2004 at 06:33 AM.

adrian36 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    I don't know what made you even measure that in the first place, but I bet that if you went in a parking lot and started taking those same measurements from left to right on peoples' cars, that you would find that same 1/4 to 1/2" difference on more than half of the cars on the street that have more than 5,000 miles on them. It would be another story if the difference was 1.5" or more. I still think it's no big deal unless one of your rear shocks are broken, but it's your car dude. If someone is driving behind your car they would never notice an uneven ride height. That's what I meant. You notice it, since you've measured it, and you know it's there. But I think you're worrying about nothing. BTW, I hope you checked the shocks like I suggested.
    Will check and keep all of you posted. Thanks again. Plan to go to dealer on Thurs 9-16

This past weekend at the track, I noticed a differnce in my rear ride hight as well. I haven't mesured yet, but it's no more then 1/2 inch. I'
    m not to worried about it at this point.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

My MM is likewise off the mark. My left front is higher than the right front, and in the rear, the right side is lower than the left. I thought about it, and I think is't just the body/frame adjusting to the torque under hard power. I can't say it's noticable, I didn't detect it. I only noticed while writing down my specs. I don't think it's a sign of any problems, IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information