Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear shocks Monroe Gas-matic #5995

MMSuperFan Guest

Rear shocks Monroe Gas-matic #5995

Monroe now lists a shock from their gas-matic line for the Marauder. Their item # is 5995.

Any thoughts on Monroe shocks. BTW they cost less than $35 each, not the $80 the LM dealer asks for the OEM replacement.

Monroe has always been a "good" replacement shock. I have no idea how they compare to the OEM - but at 30k miles it is time to think about replacements front & rear on mine!
    Anyone w/opinons or facts?
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Krytin
    Monroe has always been a "good" replacement shock. I have no idea how they compare to the OEM - but at 30k miles it is time to think about replacements front & rear on mine!
    Anyone w/opinons or facts?
    Monroe is owned by Tenneco.
    The Tenneco factory in Cozad, Nebraska, manufactures both aftermarket and OEM shocks, including the Red Ryder used on the F-150.

Quote Originally Posted by MMSuperFan
    Monroe now lists a shock from their gas-matic line for the Marauder. Their item # is 5995.

Any thoughts on Monroe shocks. BTW they cost less than $35 each, not the $80 the LM dealer asks for the OEM replacement.
    You get what you pay for. I've been buying Koni from Tire Rack. They're 4x in cost, and worth every cent, IMHO.

MMSuperFan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poore
    You get what you pay for. I've been buying Koni from Tire Rack. They're 4x in cost, and worth every cent, IMHO.
    In the "get what you pay for category....nuts to Fomoco....LM dealer wants $110 per shock, Ford dealer only wants $80.

BTW exactly which Koni are you buying from Tirerack, part #...they don't seem to know my MM exists on their lookup tables for shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poore
    I agree. I've used Monroe shocks on an old Cavalier. I had to replace them after a year or so. They started to leak and bottom out. I'm pretty happy with my Bilsteins so far. Driven for almost 2 years and even autocrossed in 3 events. No problems so far. They are only about $70-80 each. Harder ride though but I like the responsiveness.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

[QUOTE=BTW exactly which Koni are you buying from Tirerack, part #...they don't seem to know my MM exists on their lookup tables for shocks.[/QUOTE]
    Don't know about the MM, since mine's new, and 4,000 mi. I'd guess the ones for the service Crown Vic, but there's guys here with the correct info. My latest install was on an '02 F-150 Sport 6 1/2 Flairside, (Lightning look alike). Night & day difference. A word of advice though: don't get carried away and adjust them to the highest setting. It gives new meaning to the term, stiff. There may be a better price than Tirerack, but I like the fast service and expertise, plus, they're a sponsor here.

While I'm at it, some advice to everybody. You're driving one of the world's best performance sedans, and, no matter, if it's Bilsteins or Koni, perhaps others, shocks are the best bang for the buck, when it comes to performance enhancements. Oh, yeh, I think you're going to need an 18mm mid-length socket.

I didn't anticipate early wear and tear from my OEM shocks and struts, but once I replaced them, my SOTP thought "control, where have you been?" Control slips away from you slowly when shocks and struts wear, it's more an erosion than instant awareness. But, once control is gone, you'll know it.

Take a serious drive in your MM and be hypercritical with your impressions. Moving 4500 pounds through twisties causes early wear, I'm on my second set of OEM Tokico gas shocks and struts, and I'm expecting them to last 12-15K at the most. I looked high and low for options and found none. The OEM cost was stiff, but not steep, call our friend Ray "The Dealer," he's a supporting vendor here.

As I recall it, the front struts were more expensive at 79 bucks each, and the rear shocks were 71 bucks each. The ride is priceless, as they say, it will take a hard sell to draw me away from the Tokico's.

When you do replace them, get a 4 wheel alignment too. Major difference in handling, and you may see better tire wear as well...IMHO.
    Last edited by SergntMac; 09-26-2004 at 08:25 AM.

I have 17k on my car now and my shocks on all 4 corners are completely shot. Ill be replacing them over the winter, havent decided what brand yet.

Just my opinion here folks....I think the stock shocks or maybe even the Monroe shocks would be just fine as a replacement. For guys like me who want to retain atleast a little bit of ride comfort, I'm sure that the Bilsteins and the Koni's would just be too stiff. If I wanted a car that will pull a 1.00 G around turns then I would've purchased a much smaller and lighter car than the Marauder. I wouldn't have purchased a sedan in the first place.

Shocks are shot!

buying New Monroe shocks for 1997 merc 5967 and 5969
    Last edited by Merc-O-matic; 06-01-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: no longer needed xxxxxxx
    "Best of Show"
    MARAUDERVILLE IV
    ORLANDO, FL
    11/11/06

Member #1031
    Brand New 2003 "Black over Black" 300B
    Conceived 2/25/03
    Born 3/21/03.. "7002 of 7838"
    Home 5/26/03 showing 19 miles!

TRILOGY (Eaton M-112) Supercharger #152
    ALTERNATIVE Automotive (Xcal-2) TUNE
    K&N AirCharger... Part No. 63-1111
    FLOWMASTER Super 40's with stock Megs tips
    FoMoCo OEM Rear Spoiler/Black Titanium SS inserts
    FORD GT Coil Covers (Ford Blue)
    FormulaONE Window Tint "Pinnacle Series-35"
    METCO DS/Loop

1972 Buick Skylark 350 Hardtop Sport Coupe
    Antique Gold with Dark Saddle Vinyl interior
    "Last of the original Muscle Cars" bought NEW(7/5/72)
    and still kickin' ass!

Mmmm....listening...absorbing. ... ...more please...
    2017 Niro

Had the pleasure to meet the Tokico rep at the Motor City Marauders outing to the Ford Proving Grounds in June '04. According to this rep, our Tokico shocks (no struts in the MM) should be good for a LOT MORE than 15K to 30K miles.
    If you believe that you have `worn' shocks, I would suggest we contact Tokico and send them a set of 4 (Front & Rear) to test on thier equipment to see how much they have `lost'. These people (Tokico) relly believe in thie product and stand behind it. Just a suggestion to the membership here.

GordonB
    2003 MM DBP (BLUE) (300B) w/Lt Flint (Hers); htd seats, 6 CD. PCM s/w level CRD1.
    Mods:Trunk Liner from Decklid Designs, Sunroof (ASC Model 840), McGard wheel locks, Godshead badges--steering & grill (fm Ron), Mac/Marty's Fender Badges, Silverstar Headlights, FLM accs--rear spoiler, door edge guards & trunk organizer. Bob White graphics. KB Dead Pedal & Polished Alum. Pedals. M&Z rear cntrl arms. DR (Addco) rear sway bar (24mm). Pro-Gard rear close-out panel. TCE Perf. braided SS brake lines.
    Born 5/22/03 and adopted 7/21/03. One of 328 DBP for 2003 out of 7838. Build seq. nbr: 7500 of 7838. Color seq. nbr: 282 of 328.

2004 DTR MM w/Lt Flint (His) with htd seats, 6 CD, Fact. Sunroof; born 6/15/04, adopted 7/8/04; one of 980 DTR for 2004 out of 3213. Upgraded same as Blue MM. Build seq. nbr: 3165 of 3214. Color seq. nbr: 973 of 980.

Other cars: '00 'Vette Coupe (Nassau Blue). '14 Vette Coupe (Lime Rock Green)
    Car Clubs: MBCC

Quote Originally Posted by GordonB
    (no struts in the MM)
    Agreed. Front shock and spring are individual parts, but thery are preassembled into a strut before restoration to the car. I wasn't aware of this until I replaced my shocks, the front end has to come down and the spring unloaded and reloaded in a spring compressor, then reinstalled in the car. It's not like the old days, or, as easy as changing the rear shocks. It's a real PITA, and IMHO, not a DYI project.
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonB
    If you believe that you have `worn' shocks, I would suggest we contact Tokico and send them a set of 4 (Front & Rear) to test on thier equipment to see how much they have `lost'. These people (Tokico) relly believe in thie product and stand behind it. Just a suggestion to the membership here. GordonB
    Agreed, great product, great company. Good idea too, send the failed parts back for examination. Unfortunately, mine are in the trash already. Any 411 on how someone could contact this guy?

Seems to me that under 36k and needing replacement results in a warranty claim.
    I'd take the freebie route.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information