Thread: Valve cover paint

Valve cover paint

Remember my anguish about what to do with the valve covers, ever since Ray sent me the Ford GT coil covers?

This is my best solution, so far.

Wall Mart has a three-step paint kit from Dupli-Color they're calling MIRAGE "The Paint That Changes Color", sort of like the Mystic colors they were putting on Cobras. There's a Base coat, a Mid-Coat Color, and a Top Coat included in the kit. It goes from Dark Purple through Dark Green, and it's my guess it's gonna take two kits. I've used it on a motorcycle helmet with great results. I'm thinking of bringing the valve covers along back when we take the coil covers up and show 'em to the car, week after Christmas.

Here's a question:The car's inside, and covered, do I need to seal up the engine (aluminum foil or something) while it sets without valve covers? It's a controlled environment ~ 55 degrees and dry.

Also, is there anything I need to know about taking the valve covers off?

Thanks, Guys.

Driver's side valve cover will come off rather easy. The passenger side will not, you may have to break the motor mount loose and tilt the engine up with a floor jack to clear the firewall. Once they are off, just cover up with an appropriate tarp.

MARAUDER S/C #5 Guest
    Is this paint made to handle the intense heat ?
    Is it made specifically for valve covers ?
    Last edited by MARAUDER S/C #5; 12-19-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    The passenger side will not, you may have to break the motor mount loose and tilt the engine up with a floor jack to clear the firewall. Once they are off, just cover up with an appropriate tarp.
    You have to "break the motor mount loose and tilt the engine up with a floor jack".
    WHAT????? Oh my GAWD!

Anyone want to buy a brande new Dupli-Color Mirage paint kit?

I think those valve covers look swell in natural silver.

Matches the paint, sort of. Y'know?

The passenger side is more difficult than the drivers, Mike. But...there is no need to jack the motor up...so don't be misinformed...I've seen several taken off and replaced including mine...and although a major PITA...it is not impossible. If I were you (with an obvious '04 with unpainted covers)...I'd get them polished...or if you want color, I'd recommend powdercoating instead of painting.

You can send them to one of our vendors here (Wes @ http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com/) for powdercoating service and he can do them, or find someone that does powdercoating in your area. You can use this link to find someone near you by clicking on your state. http://www.customcoaters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TAF
    ...If I were you (with an obvious '04 with unpainted covers)...I'd get them polished...
    Has anybody done this yet? Found plenty asking and a few intending to do it but was unable to find someone who had. I'd like to see it.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TAF

You can send them to one of our vendors here (Wes @ http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com/) for powdercoating service and he can do them, or find someone that does powdercoating in your area. You can use this link to find someone near you by clicking on your state. http://www.customcoaters.com/
    Thanks, Tod. I checked out both webs, and sent an email to Dupli_Color asking about the paint and heat issues. Also, it's nice to know I can get the valve cover off. SergntMac did say "MAY" have to jack up the motor, so I may continue with the project. I'll see how it looks when I go up to Snow Shoe in a week to visit the MM..

Quote Originally Posted by Agent M79
    Has anybody done this yet? Found plenty asking and a few intending to do it but was unable to find someone who had. I'd like to see it.
    Sean Hyland sells polished Marauder valve covers, though they are pricey.

King Fubar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent M79
    I'm going to get it done after the first of the year. I found a guy down here and he quoted $100 a side polished and clear powder coat.

Thread Information