Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My ticking Marauder...

TripleTransAm Guest

My ticking Marauder...

... is ticking no more. That's because it's currently sitting in a service bay at my dealership with 4.6 liters' worth of engine parts strewn across a multitude of workbenches.

The decision was made to pull the driver's side head and have a look at the valves, once it was found that a bunch of exhaust valves were demonstrating a little too much play within their guides and seats. In fact, according to the technician (pretty much one of only two that I will trust my car with), a couple were kind of 'wedged' into their seats, as if they had seated at an irregular angle, and required a slight "push" to get them to lift off their seat. Many looked carbon'ed up somewhat, but a couple had some serious wear marks on the valve stems, probably from worn or faulty valve guides.

Some carbon buildup on the combustion chambers, probably most likely due to the oil consumption that must have been occuring as oil seeped past the bad guides. This carbon might have also served to accelerate the guide wear. Ironically, we laughed about the fact that had I not been so easy on the engine, the carbon buildup might not have been as noticeable, even though the faulty valve guides would have eventually mangled up the valve stems pretty bad in the long run.

The tops of the pistons also showed some excessive carbon buildup, again probably related to that puff of smoke that is emitted from the exhaust after some startups.

The technician mentioned that it was almost as if cylinder 7 had overheated or was running hotter than the others, while inspecting the wear. Funny, I thought I read something in here about that sort of problem with Mustangs, in another thread a few months back. I'll do the search but I thought I'd bring that up right away.

Camshaft bearings and journals looked good, according to him. No signs of ugly wear at all. So one would think it's not a lubrication issue.

So I'm waiting on some further investigations before finding out what the recommendation will be. The option is either a new motor or a new head and set of valves (which will need machining by a third party). With the new motor, who's to say whether the replacement motor will be a knocker or a ticker after a few break-in miles, and with the new head option, who's to say I can trust a low-wage machinist to care about how good the valve guide/valve stem clearances are. *sigh*

So there you have it. Those of you with ticking driver's side valvetrains (that are not related to faulty catalytic converters) might have this to look forward to, in the future. The ticking may stay the same, but it will probably get worse, as the valves "rock" within their worn guides and get their stems chewed up. Those of you with puffing engines at startup might also get presented with the same outcome. Those of you with knocking engines... well, who knows what you're up against.

My first Ford, high-performance or not. If it isn't self-destructing trannies, it's wobbly valves and slicing harnesses. And considering 99% of my weekly 500 mile usage of the car is done at very easy engine loads, it does NOT leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling about this engine. It's the ONLY engine I've ever had torn apart (except for the 1st Honda I built out of 2 scrap cars, mentioned elsewhere). Yes, I'm angry.

We'll see what comes of this. As usual, I'll keep y'all posted with any info I gleam off the great tech who's working on my old ticker.

BlueOvalNews has more on that story.
    63 1/2' Merc 406 (434ci) tri-powered "Ratsmoker"

Originally posted by merc406
    BlueOvalNews has more on that story.
    What would that web site be please, Thank you.
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

TripleTransAm,
    Sorry to hear about your engine problem. Gonzo50, The article merc406 is referring to is here:

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/pow...***.072903.htm

This is a great site in general - gives you the real skinny on what's going on at Ford.
    Scott "Heavy" D.
    2003 Silver MM 300B - Alternative Auto BBS
    2013 Green Taurus SHO - Livernois Motorsports V8+
    2001 Black F-150 Supercrew XLT 4X4 - Stock

schuvwj Guest
    Damn, this is definitely bad news. I just noticed the same noise, ticking, on my MM this week with 17,000 miles. I was hoping it was the new exhaust manifold or other exhaust leak related to the new manifold installation.

I did notice the Blue Oval news said this was a silent recall on 2003 Cobras. Aren’t our MM heads aluminum and the Cobra is cast iron? Maybe our MM valve guides are different.
    Last edited by schuvwj; 10-04-2003 at 09:10 PM.

Re: My ticking Marauder...

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    ... is ticking no more. That's because it's currently sitting in a service bay at my dealership with 4.6 liters' worth of engine parts strewn across a multitude of workbenches.
    Sorry to hear about your trouble. If Ford doesn't come through for you we'll start a flame war!

Last edited by MapleLeafMerc; 10-03-2003 at 06:58 PM.

The Cobra and the Marauder don't share the same heads so I don't think the Cobra problem pertains to the Marauder. RAY

DetGeno Guest
    TTA how many miles do you have on your MM?

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by DetGeno
    TTA how many miles do you have on your MM?

About 8750 very very easy miles. usually I'm just ****y-footing away from a stop sign or a light due to wanting to maximize comfort for my family. There is the occasional hot-dogging, but pretty much at 8/10s if not less aggressive. Very rarely will I put the pedal to the floor. That's just the fact of life with spending 500 miles a week on the road shuttling my son to his grandparents and going to work.

One visit to the drag strip. By then, I'm pretty sure it was already ticking. Numbers were good, power was all there and accounted for.

Puff of smoke at startup now and again.

Oil consumption unknown, gas consumption very acceptable.

Honestly, the tech wasn't able to tell me what I did wrong with this motor. These motors *should* be able to take a winding, according to the tech, so abuse is definitely NOT an issue to be pursued.

You know, if I had modified the little double-cammer and broke something in the aftermath of the increased power, yeah I'd fully understand. But sometimes even us bone-stockers can't win...

Triple TA - Sorry to hear about your engine problem. Hope it gets resolved ASAP. Keep us posted.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

TripleTransAm Guest
    Thanks for the supportive words, guys.

I keep asking myself if I did the right thing, going through with this 'investigation'. I could have kept quiet, ignored the smoke puff at startup now and again, blocked out the ticking sound from under the hood everytime I was around the car exterior with the engine running. I would have probably been enjoying the car instead of seeing it opened up in the service bay, with parts exposing casting numbers that should never see the light of day after assembly.

But when you get down to it... I paid > $43000 Canadian for this car (that's just over about $30k US) and I don't want a car that sounds like the all-original valvetrain on my 110 000 MILE 1978 Trans Am at hot idle. And to see the extent of wear and tear on the soon-to-be ailing cylinders had me wondering what would have happened over the winter, as my F-cars would be tucked safely away for the winter.

Oh well, I hope this odyssey is at least somewhat mildly entertaining to follow. I'll try to get photos taken tomorrow.

Dude, I'm shocked and saddened to hear this! IIRC, our cars were built around the same time...and I've had no problems yet!

I hope they put your ride back together better than it was!

I have to admit, I ride my car hard. I throw it into corners, I stomp on WOT whenver I get the chance - but I have no family to keep comfortable. I do it for me.

I've got 11,000 km on mine. It's warrantied for 7 years or 150,000km, so if it's going to break, like several have, I want it to break in the first year.
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

This 4V DOHC is almost a Hemi, and it should be treated like the Hemi of the late '60s. Beat it to death, it runs better. Carbon deposits are a death sentence, this engine loves hard work at high RPMs...IMHO.

Hey, Triple-T--sorry to hear about your woes . . .

As I've said before, I can hear the "tack-tack-tack" sound at idle when I lean near the driver's-side door. But yesterday, I noticed that I couldn't hear it. Has your "ticking" ever disappeared for a brief period? Or has it been constant since you noticed it? Thanks.

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

MMManic Guest
    Triple TA-

I've had a ticking since day one and I'm now at 1600 miles. I took my MM in for service immediately and was told the ticking noise is not the valves but the fuel injectors???? Is that believeable? The ticking can be heard inside the car with the windows up. The ticking is also much louder than any valve noise from my '97 Continental at 125,000 miles with the similar 4.6 DOHC. Can't say I've seen any smoke at startup. Am I a victim too?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information