Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve Cover Bolts

Valve Cover Bolts

Does anybody know if chrome valve cover bolts are available for the 4.6 DOHC, and if they are, where I can get them. If chrome bolts aren't available, can I buy just a set of new valve cover bolts from the Ford/Mercury dealer?

Yes, you can buy replacement bolts from the dealer.

I don't know of a 'kit' for the 4.6l DOHC, but you could remove one figure out the thread size/pitch and length and order your own (ie ARP)

That's what I did for my car since I couldn't find a kit available. The SOHC uses M6x1x30?mm bolts for the valve cover in all positions, but some have a stud over top. Haven't pulled any from my DOHC to give you a definite size.

*BTW, would recommend the polished stainless bolts instead of chrome
    -My Homepage and Panther tech-

My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis Supercharged LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

If you can't find the bolts you might be interested in just bolt covers. He also does custom work you might ask Daniel about doing some for you.

http://www.colexcustoms.com/
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

Arrow

Since my car spends a good portion of its time at car shows and cruises, I have also been looking into this.

UPR sells bolt "caps".

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=721

I might pick up an extra set of OEM bolts and have the unthreaded portions powdercoated.

As Drock mentioned, there might be some aftermarket companies that supply stainless steel bolts.

1. Black Sunshine (2003A F.I.T #3) (SOLD!)
    2. 2004 SAP P71 (Gone)
    3. The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow). (Sold)
    4. The 1998 P71 Jinbei. (Sold)
    5. 1990 5.7L IROC-Z (Sold)

Keeping a black car clean is not a hobby. It's a part-time job.

Support the troops.

i have seen the bolt covers yhey look good

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the bolt covers. If I end up getting new bolts from the dealer, are they sold as a set, or individually?

Wow, that stuff from Colex Customs is totally cool, I will definitely be talking to them!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Drock96Marquis View Post

I don't know of a 'kit' for the 4.6l DOHC, but you could remove one figure out the thread size/pitch and length and order your own (ie ARP)
    Anyone know the measurements for these bolts?

I wonder if McMaster-Carr might offer some replacements.

1. Black Sunshine (2003A F.I.T #3) (SOLD!)
    2. 2004 SAP P71 (Gone)
    3. The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow). (Sold)
    4. The 1998 P71 Jinbei. (Sold)
    5. 1990 5.7L IROC-Z (Sold)

Keeping a black car clean is not a hobby. It's a part-time job.

Support the troops.

I'll pull one out and figure out the thread pitch and post it. The problem is the heads of the bolts are way larger than a normal bolt (a bolt of the same thread diameter) so finding a replacement other than at the Ford/Mercury dealership is gonna be a little hard.

Quote Originally Posted by DearbornDave View Post
    I'll pull one out and figure out the thread pitch and post it. The problem is the heads of the bolts are way larger than a normal bolt (a bolt of the same thread diameter) so finding a replacement other than at the Ford/Mercury dealership is gonna be a little hard.

exactly. maybe get the heads chromed? not sure if they could do that
    2010 fusion se

Ok, valve cover bolts are M6x1 thread, 25mm length of thread, 13mm hex size with a 19.6mm flange around the hex. I've checked with Gardener Westcott and they don't have anything like this. You could probably get a standard M6x1 chrome bolt and a chrome washer, but that wouldn't work for the bolts with the studs on top that are required in certain spots on the valve cover. I'm just gonna go to the Ford dealership and order new bolts and take them in and have them chrome plated. I figured someone would make chrome bolts for the Mustang guys and I could use them too. Oh well, it seems like with the MM nothing is that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by DearbornDave View Post
    Ok, valve cover bolts are M6x1 thread, 25mm length of thread, 13mm hex size with a 19.6mm flange around the hex. I've checked with Gardener Westcott and they don't have anything like this. You could probably get a standard M6x1 chrome bolt and a chrome washer, but that wouldn't work for the bolts with the studs on top that are required in certain spots on the valve cover. I'm just gonna go to the Ford dealership and order new bolts and take them in and have them chrome plated. I figured someone would make chrome bolts for the Mustang guys and I could use them too. Oh well, it seems like with the MM nothing is that easy.
    i wouldnt get the threads chromed!

or maybe you could just wire wheel it off once there done?
    2010 fusion se

Why wouldn't you have the whole bolt chromed? I've used chromed bolts before and never had a problem with them. Are you worried about the chrome making the diameter and thread bigger? Chrome is pretty thin and if there was a problem I could always run a die over the threads. (I'm a tool & die maker, I got all that stuff at work)

never seen a chromed bolt nor delt with it very much. sounds like you know more then i. i just know aluminum is very soft and definitly would NOT what to eff up the treads on my heads
    2010 fusion se

I've got a 1969 Chevelle convertible, and pretty much the whole engine is put together with chrome plated bolts. Chrome only adds a couple thousands of an inch at best to the diameter of a bolt. Believe me, I know aluminum is soft too and there is no freakin' way I'd ever do anything to screw my engine up. Thanks for the concern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information