Thread: Multi dealer car shows

Four dealer car shows, Saturday June 14

Car owners muscle up for annual show

Saturday, June 07, 2008By Paul R. Kopenkoskey
    The Grand Rapids Press
    PLAINFIELD TOWNSHIP -- Ron Sheldon's heart pounded a little faster every time he saw high school classmates tool around in their Chevy Camaros.

The way Sheldon sees it, the Camaro is the definitive muscle car.

"I just loved that body style," said Sheldon, a 1974 Rockford High School graduate.

I always felt this is the No. 1 sought after muscle car." Sheldon turned his admiration of the Chevrolet "pony car" into reality in 1995 when he purchased a 1969 RS/SS Camaro for $9,000.

It cost the 52-year-old Grand Rapids man another $22,000 to restore his Sebring silver Camaro with black rally stripes into cherry condition.

As he did last year, Sheldon will enjoy some Camaro camaraderie at Kool Chevrolet, one of four car dealerships hosting the annual Plainfield Avenue NE car show. The event starts at 9 a.m. June 14.
    Initially, Tony Betten & Sons Ford was the sole Plainfield Avenue dealership to display cars when the West Michigan Mustang Club moved its show from North Kent Mall more than 20 years ago, said Denny Betten, vice president.

Kool Chevrolet, Van Andel & Flikkema and K&M Northfield Dodge Inc. coalesced with Tony Betten & Sons Ford about three years ago, said John Flikkema IV, retail service and parts sales manager.

The expanded number of car franchises give spectators more opportunity to have their internal-combustion engine ardor satisfied, said Flikkema, who adds a variety of 4x4s, Jeeps and Dodge trucks will be on display.

"It's for more of an off-round enthusiasts' crowd," he said.

Betten said the event has become so popular, he clears his sales lot to make room for about 200 Mustangs, Roadsters, Cougars, Model Ts and other Ford models for the club's 27th annual Mustang & All Ford Car Show.

"It's also a swap meet," said Betten. "Vendors set up booths where people can buy T-shirts, key chains and then they have old Mustang parts they can buy if they're restoring a Mustang."

Dave Bailey, general manager of Kool Chevrolet, said car enthusiasts likely will see some tire-smoking speed demons that day.

"There's definitely a lot of muscle cars and collector cars, older cars, antique cars and, in our case, a variety of Chevy show cars," Bailey said.

"A lot of them cruise back and forth into the dealerships."

K&M's Mopar Muscle Classic Car Show will feature 80 to 100 muscle cars, including Chargers and Cudas, with a smattering of Dodge trucks, said co-owner Jim Koning.
    Last edited by GreekGod; 06-09-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add the day/date
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Thread Information