Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shudder

I get it. Sorry. The reason I don't go to a Ford dealership is because the one near me sucks! I was told by my mechanic buddy this would be a good alternative. If this didn't fix the problem there would be bigger issues we would have to delve into. This fixed the problem so he recommends changing it with Mercon V by doing a pan drop and filter change as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ford OEM FM was about $6.00 a bottle last time I bough it......I bet the parts store stuff was more expensive!!

https://www.tascaparts.com/different...a1?parent=1033
    No Marauder

I don't think it was that much more. Maybe $7. I was referring to having the Ford dealership do the work. As far as the parts or fluids... I will get those from the Ford dealership if I have to.

Since there isn't a Ford dealership in my town and I'm pretty partial to giving people who run businesses in my town the business... I tend to go there.

Despite its name, Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix is not snake oil. It's actually highly regarded on BITOG. Glad it helped prove the issue is simply worn-out fluid.

If you're not going to have a complete fluid exchange performed, at least install a drain plug in the pan so you can do drain & fills more easily in future. There's no need to replace the filter after the initial replacement. I recommend doing at least one additional drain & fill the next time you change the oil in the engine.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I'm not sure if the previous owner ever changed the filter. I figure better safe than sorry.

Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix

I got this stuff from NAPA and used it in my 2000 GM, works great for awhile 10,000 miles or more then I had to add some more : 139,000 on it at the time. Be careful, when you snip the end off the vinyl tube to get ready to pour it it is dark red and really runny don't spill it and it stinks don't spill it on yourself. But works great.

I seem to remember Dr Tranny was around $7 bucks

It did work and you are right about the smell and the mess. My biggest issue was trying to figure out how to get the little tube down to the fill hole without spilling all of it.

Not to hijack your thread, sir, but I have also had the torque converter shudder as a nagging issue. I know it's the torque converter causing the issue because I don't get the hesitation in power delivery or shudder when I'm not in OD. It only happens when I'm in OD. All power delivery from engine to tranny in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd is smooth. If I'm not careful in how I hit the gas while in OD, I get one hard shudder upon acceleration.

A couple years back, I did a complete flush of the system as many are recommending here. I did it @ 93k mi. I followed Marauderjack's advice using the bottle of friction modifier. Ever since then, I have dropped the tranny pan every other oil change and exchanged 4 qts of fluid. The flush and friction modifier helped substantially for some time, but that was it - just for a time and then it returned. Very frustrating. Do I have a bad torque converter that need to be replaced? Or do I need to look into another flush not even 30k miles later? I'm at 120k now.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    2003 Black 300A
    Adopted: 4/26/14

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

During the flush at 93k and your subsequent pan-drops, did you use Mercon V fluid?

Since you say you do a pan-drop every other oil change, for God's sake save yourself from the ATF bath each time and install a drain plug. Makes it WAY easier and cleaner. Also note that it is not necessary to change the filter after the initial change.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    During the flush at 93k and your subsequent pan-drops, did you use Mercon V fluid?

Since you say you do a pan-drop every other oil change, for God's sake save yourself from the ATF bath each time and install a drain plug. Makes it WAY easier and cleaner. Also note that it is not necessary to change the filter after the initial change.
    What he said. Lol

Trust me when I say this... These guys know their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post

Yes. Mercon V used every time. Haven't had an ATF bath...yet! I plan on a drain plug for the next time I drop the pan.

Good to know about the filter. It has only been changed once, as far as I know. What's the reasoning behind not changing it more than once?

2003 Black 300A

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

The filter in the transmission is only there to catch wear materials generated during break-in...generally accepted to be 10,000 to 15,000 miles from new. After that the rate of wear material generation drops so low as to be inconsequential. Also, there is a magnet in the pan to collect any ferrous wear material. This is why it is recommended to change the filter (and clean the magnet) with the first fluid change, but not necessary again after that.

Since the transmission is essentially a sealed unit, there are no concerns about ingestion of particles through an air intake, nor are there any concerns about combustion/blowby contaminants or fuel dilution such as exist in the engine.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Good stuff. Figured as much, and your knowledge confirms it. Thanks.

Back to my question about the flushing, now that I've clarified I use Mercon V and I've done a flush and a couple of fluid exchanges: time for another go at the flush with friction modifier (last one was 27k mi ago) or look deeper into possible TC issues? Is the TC the place I need to look if fluid changes are not helping?

2003 Black 300A

Mods:

Send a PM to 88grandmarq...he's the transmission guru here. If you are using Mercon V, and have done so since the flush, you shouldn't be experiencing shudder due to depleted fluid in such a short time. It *may* be a torque converter issue.

Just for the sake of completeness, verify you are actually experiencing TC shudder by doing the following little test:

Leave O/D on. When you start to experience the shudder, keeping your foot steady on the gas, use your other foot to gently tap the brakes, just enough to light the lights. If the shudder stops immediately, then you likely have TCC shudder. If it does NOT, then you may have a misfire.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information