Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Snow Tires and Rims

Snow Tires and Rims

Hi all,

I've read several posts regarding snows and tire sizes. I wanted to post here in case any Canadian MM owners know of a good tire and wheel package for the MM. If not, any recommendations? Also, I am trying to find Police Cruiser rims (in Southern Ontario) used or new. If anyone has some helpful information it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh....also, I am a little concerned with the Salt and Sand corroding the aluminum engine and components. Am I at any more risk here then any other vehicle?
    Last edited by Digital Man; 10-31-2004 at 10:31 AM.

Hey. There was some interest last year. Don't know if anyone every got one of these. But if you go here you'll have good starting point. Call the people listed and see what they can do this year. I know that brands and models have changed. The tire size listed should still be valid.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Man
    Hi all,

I've read several posts regarding snows and tire sizes. I wanted to post here in case any Canadian MM owners know of a good tire and wheel package for the MM. If not, any recommendations? Also, I am trying to find Police Cruiser rims (in Southern Ontario) used or new. If anyone has some helpful information it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh....also, I am a little concerned with the Salt and Sand corroding the aluminum engine and components. Am I at any more risk here then any other vehicle?
    300A Stock MM03 born on 6/25/2002 - sold June 2010!
    (owner from 8/26/2002 - June 2010)

- Production# 2003 of 7838
    - @17000miles 1/4 in 15.1s@93.3mph
    - 180 TStat
    - 235/50/18 on all four corners
    - Dyno tune by SCT (Jerry W.) on 04-03-04
    @ 260.7 hp/285.5 ft-lbs
    - Front and rear EBC brakes with SS lines
    - PHP upper & lower rear control arms
    - Metco C/F intake tube
    - Infinity speakers

The Arctic Alpines are great in the snow, and since they never came in an 18" size, then those of us who wanted snow tires on our Marauders were forced to go w/the 16" ones. But since the Arctic Alpines are being phased out of production by Michelin, then they're now tough to find, and if I had to buy four more snows for my Marauder, my choice this year would definately be the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires in the P235/55/18" size for all four corners. And that size is the same tire height as our factory stock tires in the back are. Many people on this board have used the same size and circumfrence on all four corners of their Marauders w/out any problems.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 10-31-2004 at 01:02 PM.

Hi all,

____
    BEfore i had this Marauder, i had 5 mustang for which i throw the towell of attempting to use 17" or 18" winter tires because they are just too wide to really grip (and the mustang weight less). As you already know, you can oder police interceptor steel rims 16x7" that are offset 1 " and will do the job well and give a nice robust look (like the F150 of the seventys !!!). They are very strongly built (twin center stamped very thick steel) so you can jump the curbs like the cops do. I had put 235-70-16" tires on them (4 corners) which make the tread about 2 a quarter ,two and a half inch less wide. They really dig.

The disadvantage ?: You cannot eventually use bigger aftermarket brakes and the handling goes down a bit in the curves, more like a marquis or a regular Crown vic. I don't mind since, in the winter, you have to slow down anyway . Also, at least on mine, my combination (same size on 4 corners and slightly bigger diameter) really upset the traction control logic so i have to put the switch at off if you want to go at speed higher than about 40-50 mph. For the later, in the snow, i don't mind again since the ford calibration on the various car i'd try is simply not performing: it just cut the fuel or put on the brake about all the time. Better stay home and wait for april than use it.

Order rims?

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird
    ____
    BEfore i had this Marauder, i had 5 mustang for which i throw the towell of attempting to use 17" or 18" winter tires because they are just too wide to really grip (and the mustang weight less). As you already know, you can oder police interceptor steel rims 16x7" that are offset 1 " and will do the job well and give a nice robust look (like the F150 of the seventys !!!). They are very strongly built (twin center stamped very thick steel) so you can jump the curbs like the cops do. I had put 235-70-16" tires on them (4 corners) which make the tread about 2 a quarter ,two and a half inch less wide. They really dig.

The disadvantage ?: You cannot eventually use bigger aftermarket brakes and the handling goes down a bit in the curves, more like a marquis or a regular Crown vic. I don't mind since, in the winter, you have to slow down anyway . Also, at least on mine, my combination (same size on 4 corners and slightly bigger diameter) really upset the traction control logic so i have to put the switch at off if you want to go at speed higher than about 40-50 mph. For the later, in the snow, i don't mind again since the ford calibration on the various car i'd try is simply not performing: it just cut the fuel or put on the brake about all the time. Better stay home and wait for april than use it.
    I didn't know you coulld order the Interceptor RIMs. How and where?

I didn't know you coulld order the Interceptor RIMs. How and where?
    2003 Interceptor rims (for winter tire package) (215/65-16s {front} and 225/70-16s {rear} recommended to maintain an accurate speedometer) 3W7Z-1007-CA

This is from the FAQ section. Good luck.

- 180 TStat
    @ 260.7 hp/285.5 ft-lbs
    - Metco C/F intake tube
    - Infinity speakers

Interceptor rims

I just want to verify that these have the wheel caps and all. The Ford girl said that they were just Steel rims. Anyone have a pic of this part number?

Thanks.

The part number is for steel rims only. There are a variety of hubcaps and centercaps available, sold separately.

Look here for some options:
    http://hubcaphaven.com/police.htm

I just want to verify that these have the wheel caps and all. The Ford girl said that they were just Steel rims. Anyone have a pic of this part number?

Thanks.

- 180 TStat
    @ 260.7 hp/285.5 ft-lbs
    - Metco C/F intake tube
    - Infinity speakers

OK Thanks....know of anywhere in Canada that sells those?

The PI centercaps are expensive, and tend to fall off occationally. But if this is the look you are driving for, go for it.

Otherwise a set of 16" steelies are easily purchased through the tire rack or any wheel store.
    Any of the Ford Mercury rims fit and you may use a vast selection of quality snow only tires.

I personally used Kelly Wintermark studded tires on the rear and Alpines on the front. The Kelly's are cheap, and have a far more aggressive tread than the Alpines....they are NOT recommended for front applications.
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird
    As you already know, you can order police interceptor steel rims 16x7" that are offset 1 " and will do the job well...
    Isn't our offset more than 1" ?
    I thought it was more like 47mm or 1.85".

Remember in 2003 the chassis and suspension was updated
    and the wheels were changed due to the updates.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

What does that mean? Do I have to use Crown Vic rims 2003 or newer?

What do some of you other guys have?

OK Thanks....know of anywhere in Canada that sells those?
    Digital Man, I am also looking for a package, for my Marauder. I plan to get the black steelies (and like the "cop-look" center caps, too), and was planning to go with the same sizes MMM2003 recommended - 215/65-16 and 225/70-16.

So, here's a couple of thoughts:

I have previously order wheels/tires from http://www.tiretrends.com. They are located in BC, so for out of province shipments, you save on the GST. DOn't know if they do the steel wheel, though. Their car selector doesn't have the Marauder

Steelcase Tires and Mags (located in Markham, near Woodbine/Steeles) is highly regarded. I haven't bought from them, but know a bunch of people that have, and have talked to them, at length, to discuss rubber options, for my truck. Was impressed that he advised NOT to buy now, and wait until spring, rather than have brand new tires sitting in the garage, and potentially grow flat spots.

Finallly, friends of the family own a garage. It's been a few months since I've seen them, though. They may be able to hook me up, at (or close to) cost

If there are enough Canadian's here, maybe we can get a Canuck group purchase going - since the costs to have wheels/tires shipped from the US + taxes/duties makes it somewhat unattractive.

If a few people show interest, I'll volunteer to do some leg work...
    2001 Silver SVT Lightning - 2011 Blue Flame F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost

SOLD 2003 Marauder (300A)

I used my '98 gran marquis wheels with the snows. Dude...they all fit.

Yes, the offset is wrong. They ALL will be no matter what 16" rim you use.

So what? They're snow tires....no one to impress in the dead of January aside from the other cars that can't get traction as you,,,in a big ass rwd high powered american sedan blow through up to a foot of snow like a mac truck.
    Last edited by CRUZTAKER; 11-02-2004 at 08:20 PM.
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by MENINBLK
    Isn't our offset more than 1" ?
    I thought it was more like 47mm or 1.85".

Remember in 2003 the chassis and suspension was updated
    and the wheels were changed due to the updates.
    I read somewhere that they were offset 1" but i think it was in comparaison with stock crown vic rims or marquis. It was made to give the cops a small hedge, handling wise. I'm not 100% shure thought.

As for the stock 18", they might be a bit more, like the 1.85 " you suggest. Alongside the car, at they eye, all those above numbers "look" right when you line up the hedge of their respective tires with the adjoining fender.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information