Thread: Regarding Info on Degreeing Cams

Regarding Info on Degreeing Cams

Hello,
    I receive a lot of requests from members here asking for help with cam degreeing. Many of these requests are from those who are not really sure what cam degreeing actually does or why it is important. People talk of advancing things but have no idea what that actually means.
    About a year ago I started a new policy. Those who wish to ask me for assistance need to read this book first:

Then I can answer any specific questions you may have, but IMHO you will need to have a basic understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.
    I work 80hrs a week plus have several projects going on at any given time. I don't have the time to type out a gigantic explanation about cam timing every time someone asks me. I do want to help those who need it, however I expect people to "meet me halfway" as it were and do some research on their own. No one taught me how to do this, as almost no one was doing this at that time.
    The SHM book gives a basic overview of cam degreeing and lists the necessary tools needed to do the job. It explains the how and the why in a general sense - so if you have read the book, it makes my explanation considerably shorter and easier. SHM does not give you 100% of the information, but does give prob 85%.

The book costs $10-15 and will give a pretty good general history and overview on the modular engine family(at that time). If you are not willing to invest $10 and a little reading time on your own success, there's really no point in me getting involved at all.
    Again- I do want to help and I have helped countless people but simply don't have the time to explain the process in its entirety to everyone who asks.
    I appreciate your cooperation on this, the last person I degreed cams for (for free) I requested they read the book but they never did so I stopped corresponding with them.

Thanks for reading
    Ex Panther Owner

Any idea where I can order this book online?

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting ready to tackle this job and appreciate the direction.

Insert "Give a man a fish' quote here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackdombles View Post
    Insert "Give a man a fish' quote here.

You can't do that here. To much reference to the Bible, we don't want any religious beliefs or phrases corrupting members. Lol

Back to our regular program....... and a side note, that book is a good read and well worth looking at even if you don't build a motor, it's just good solid knowledge.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

that book is a good read and well worth looking at even if you don't build a motor, it's just good solid knowledge.
    Knowledge=POWER
    2004 Black Marauder: #2237 Born on 4/1/2004

Eaton Swapped and a bunch of other goodies!

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    That is an excellent book! I bought it in 03 or 04 before I bought my first Marauder tons of good info!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

I bought that book a couple weeks ago and plowed through it. Great info but I'm hungry for more. Noticed Sean hyland Motorsport has a dvd on the 4.6 and 5.4 modulars that I'm gonna check out

Dvd is same info but they demonstrate stuff which helps many ppl. IIRC the 3v is also covered briefly in the dvd.
    Ex Panther Owner

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Hello,
    I receive a lot of requests from members here asking for help with cam degreeing. Many of these requests are from those who are not really sure what cam degreeing actually does or why it is important. People talk of advancing things but have no idea what that actually means.
    About a year ago I started a new policy. Those who wish to ask me for assistance need to read this book first:

Then I can answer any specific questions you may have, but IMHO you will need to have a basic understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.
    I work 80hrs a week plus have several projects going on at any given time. I don't have the time to type out a gigantic explanation about cam timing every time someone asks me. I do want to help those who need it, however I expect people to "meet me halfway" as it were and do some research on their own. No one taught me how to do this, as almost no one was doing this at that time.
    The SHM book gives a basic overview of cam degreeing and lists the necessary tools needed to do the job. It explains the how and the why in a general sense - so if you have read the book, it makes my explanation considerably shorter and easier. SHM does not give you 100% of the information, but does give prob 85%.

The book costs $10-15 and will give a pretty good general history and overview on the modular engine family(at that time). If you are not willing to invest $10 and a little reading time on your own success, there's really no point in me getting involved at all.
    Again- I do want to help and I have helped countless people but simply don't have the time to explain the process in its entirety to everyone who asks.
    I appreciate your cooperation on this, the last person I degreed cams for (for free) I requested they read the book but they never did so I stopped corresponding with them.

Thanks for reading
    Good book!

Why not type up a document with the most asked Q&A's and just send it to whom ever requests it?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Bought the book. Everyone kept recommending it to me when I asked questions so yea. Now to read up. Did the brook so I can see it on my phone or laptop

Thread Information