Thread: Thermostat / Water Pump housing sealer

Thermostat / Water Pump housing sealer

Someone said here the other day that there were a thousand bs tech opinions on the internet and they were right. I've gotten some odd ones on and offline. I do rely on the tech opinions from here though.

Just confirming: when I installed the new OEM water pump the other day, I only sprayed the integral rubber o-ring gasket with a couple shots of silicone lube spray. No grease, no gasket sealer, no gasket maker. Made it slide in place a bit easier.

As it was it was a super tight fit. I also didn't put thread sealer on the water pump bolts. It backed in nicely and seems OK.

Likewise yesterday when I installed a new 170 degree stat, the one recommended by FBM. Used the supplied o-ring only, some anti-seize on the screws as they were tight to get off, for next time. That's it.

Putting the fan shroud and coolant reservoir and PS back tonight and going to burp it, check for leaks. Now a guy I know is telling me I should have at least put "Permatex thermostat and WP seal" on both, and thread sealer on the WP bolts. (Can't imagine trying to get this WP out later if I did that.)

On my stuck WP thread one poster suggested coolant only on the gasket ring, and another silicone grease. Since all I had was Sil-Glyde, I just split the difference and put a little silicone spray on it to slick things up when going back in.

Not too late to get these apart. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Svashtar; 07-25-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

If it's working and not leaking leave it alone.

Stop 2nd guessing yourself.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

dont forget your new tune needs to know there is a 170 tstat or you wont see the results
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Thermostat / Water Pump housing sealer

Well, it's not leaking because there's no coolant in it yet. :-) I'll run it tonight. I don't think this guy would have suggested it if he had seen how tight both pumps fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    dont forget your new tune needs to know there is a 170 tstat or you wont see the results

Thanks, got that covered and will let Marty know.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Well, it's not leaking because there's no coolant in it yet. :-) I'll run it tonight. I don't think this guy would have suggested it if he had seen how tight both pumps fit.

It's not exactly a dodge or chevy which both have bolts that are in a water passage, for example the thermostat housing bolt holes.

I usually use Vaseline on coolant o-rings just to make sure an o-ring doesn't roll over.
    No thread sealer necessary with modular ford water pump. Small amount of anti seize is always helpful with steel bolts/aluminum
    Ex Panther Owner

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I usually use Vaseline on coolant o-rings just to make sure an o-ring doesn't roll over.
    No thread sealer necessary with modular ford water pump. Small amount of anti seize is always helpful with steel bolts/aluminum

Thanks, I think the silicone lube spray kind of worked the same way.

Good idea on the anti-seize. Put that on the thermostat housing bolts, but didn't think to do it on the WP.

It'll be fine like it is....fill the cooling system and go!!
    No Marauder

Thread Information