Thread: Under hood insulator

Under hood insulator

Anyone use anything other than the OEM part? I noticed some companies making an upgraded one for some cars with sound deadening properties.

Mine is falling apart. I had the Car Motorsport cover on it, but after 10 years the crossover pipe ruined it, and the UHI is pretty ratty.

Checked RockAuto but they don't carry that part. Trying to find a source other than Ford parts direct if possible. If nothing else the UHI covers the barely painted underside of the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Blog Entries
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Another reason to use On3 kit
    Ex Panther Owner

Under hood insulator

Thanks, but this is what I had. The crossover pipe melted the glue after 4 years, then after I repaired it twice the heat from it eventually destroyed the MM logo. This is a nice product, and on another car it might last longer, but my pipe cooks it.

I'll just order an OEM one from somewhere. Cool idea on the light by the way, neat touch.

Last edited by Svashtar; 07-21-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Under hood insulator

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Another reason to use On3 kit

A search using tapatalk didn't bring that up. Thanks for any info on whatever that is. Looking for something a step up from the OEM material if possible.

On3 kit is a crossover tube delete kit because crossover tubes are discontinued and they rust out for those in winter climates etc..

Marauder underhood insualtors from ford are discontinued, yes there is a difference between them and crown vic, but the crown vic one does work with no issue, however last I heard they were deleting inventory in Detroit, so there may not be any and it is pricey to ship them, unless you get it from a dealer and they order it on their stock order.

You are in Cali, plenty of custom auto interior places that could copy your pattern and make a new one with maybe more robust materials.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Blog Entries
    The hood insulator on my MM is held on with GMC rivets/clips, no glue.

There is no contact with the COT.
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft

There was a guy that used to make hood insulators out of airplane firewall material. You had to take the hood off and spray-glued the material to the hood. Last I heard he had cancer... don't think he made it.

I took off my insulator and put a few heavy coats of spray paint on it to hold it together. Use Gm (General Motors) retaining clips to hold it on.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Under hood insulator

I'm in good shape on the clips, got a bunch extra from car motorsports.

Sailsmen, that's good to know. I had the old kit that came with high temp adhesive, that you cut and sprayed and wrapped around the stock UHI. Yours would be stronger.

And I didn't think there was any contact with the COT either, until after it started wearing and I could see a clear indentation of the hot pipe. Over time it wore it out and discolored it.

FBM, thanks for the info on the factory option being discontinued, and for the tip for the spray paint tip. I'll be doing that as mine is starting to shred a bit.

Sailsmen, here's what mine ended up looking like. The COT went directly under the word "Marauder":

Thanks for the good info.

Norm

Last edited by Svashtar; 07-21-2017 at 12:52 PM.

I have no info on it, and don't see how it could be true, but it's almost as if some engines sit higher in the bay than others. (?). I had to sell my JLT CAK as it rubbed a dime sized divot in the hood metal.

That's why I never considered a TB spacer when everyone was doing them.

Blog Entries
    Looks like your hood insulator had contact with liquid.

The embroidery and location is different.

I don't think they are the same insulators.
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft

Does sound like they are different. Although it looks that way, I'm sure it never got wet, it just discolored over time.

The glue kept melting there causing the material to sag down, which put a lot of stress on it.

For the use I got out of it the price wasn't too bad. I'll talk with them again and see what non-glue options they have.

Under hood insulator

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    The hood insulator on my MM is held on with GMC rivets/clips, no glue.
    There is no contact with the COT.
    Just got off the phone with AJ at Car Motorsports, and they still use high temp glue to adhere their embroidered cover to the stock UHI, either they do it or in the kit like I got. They haven't changed the cover since they were introduced, so we have the same one. The only variable is still godshead/wording.

Of course the final product is clipped to the hood using the same OEM retaining clips.

Depending on your car there will be at least some contact with the COT, with the raised filler standoff anyway. I tested this early on with a small piece of tape on that portion of the COT, that ended up on the UHI after closing the hood.

He says their UHI cover is rated at 500 degrees, so maybe I'll try again, but no light colored gods head this time, maybe just the word. After a few years that thing gets dirty and there's no way to clean it. For now the old one is held together with spray paint as FBM suggested.

Last edited by Svashtar; 07-27-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mine has no contact with the COT probably because it does have contact with the Alt due to the S/C. I placed rubber weather stripping on the Alt bracket to eliminate chafe.

The GM/GMC rivets/clips are better than the OEM ones.
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft

Good idea on the weather stripping on the bracket for your car. The OEM clips seem very tight, but I'll look into the other ones, thanks.

Thread Information