Thread: Intermittant "Check Fuel Cap" light

Intermittant "Check Fuel Cap" light

About two weeks ago my "Check Fuel Light" came on while I was driving. It stayed on for 5 days, through one fill up. I called the local Merc Dealer (Crest L/M, Sterling Hts) and he told me that it would go away in a few days and not to worry about it. I felt that he didn't want to get into it. Wednesday it light came back on. I called Crest again and he again told me that it was not a big thing and it will go off again in a few days.

Questions:

Am I getting the run around from Crest?

If the light comes on while I'm driving does that mean that the ECM read a drop in fuel system pressure?

If there is a drop in pressure and later the pressure comes back up, how long does it take for the light to reset?

This doesn't put the engine into open loop does it?

How do fix it?

Thanks a lot.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

One word answer Dan..."Yes".

That's not right, shouldn't work that way, and if car is under Warranty...it should be fixed

If it's the Fuel cap light,remove the cap then reinstall it.Make sure it makes a "click"or ratchet sound when you reinstall it.

If that doesn't fix it take it to the dealer.Make sure you tell them that you removed and reinstalled the cap.So they don't "fix"it by properly installing the cap.

Frankly, I didn't know we had a "Check Fuel Cap" light. Go figure...no "Oil" light, but a "Check Fuel Cap" light?

Edit: OOOPs...just went over and found it. Thanks for the education.

Yea don't you love it.We can have 0 oil pressure,but better not leave the gas cap off....LOL

This car is full of surprises!

I might have read more of the manual if it didn't mean wading through 8 pages about not locking myself in the trunk and 12 pages on how to fasten seatbelts.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

DetGeno Guest
    Dan do you have 300A or B?

It's a 300A, born August 02.
    Dan

We'll a couple days after my initial post on this subject the Check Engine light came on. So, this means I have a real problem I bet. Anyway, I'm dropping it off at Jack Demner L/M in Dearborn this evening.

I hope they fix it fast, I hate driving the minivan.
    Dan

Thread Information