Thread: J-Mod....Softening The 1-2 Shift??

J-Mod....Softening The 1-2 Shift??

Anyone have any input on toning down the 1-2 shift a bit??

Under normal acceleration while in vacuum it "switches" both the 1-2 and 2-3 very nicely as it does at WOT!!

BUT.....mid-throttle and 2-5 PSI of boost and it is pretty HARSH!!

I think Jeff Cook was going to put the bottom 1-2 accumulator spring back in but haven't heard anything yet.....

Any input will be appreciated!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Bumpity..... Bump... Bump!!!
    No Marauder

You should not try to fix this with valve body changes. The transmission tuning needs to be modified to balance the pressures against the actual torque produced.
    2003 Silver Marauder - Forged Iron Engine, Supercharged, SW Exhaust
    2002 White F250 7.3 - Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    You should not try to fix this with valve body changes. The transmission tuning needs to be modified to balance the pressures against the actual torque produced.
    It is not a valve body change...it is putting different springs back in the 1-2 accumulator.....according to Darrin at BC!!

I have PM'd him but haven't heard back from him yet.....Jeff Cook was gonna put his OEM spring back in and just curious what it would do??

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    It is not a valve body change...it is putting different springs back in the 1-2 accumulator.....according to Darrin at BC!!

Marauderjack
    It seems to me the 1-2 accumulator and springs would be in the valve body, ergo, it is a valve body change?
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Under normal acceleration while in vacuum it "switches" both the 1-2 and 2-3 very nicely as it does at WOT!!

BUT.....mid-throttle and 2-5 PSI of boost and it is pretty HARSH!!

I think Jeff Cook was going to put the bottom 1-2 accumulator spring back in but haven't heard anything yet.....

Any input will be appreciated!!

Marauderjack
    Return all the line pressure, back to stock that will help a lot.

The accumulators are in the trans case above the valve body.....not in the valve body!!
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Reinhart View Post
    Return all the line pressure, back to stock that will help a lot.
    All pressures are back to "Stock" Dennis!!

As long as I am not in boost it is fine......WOT is also fine but 2-4 PSI and the 1-2 shift is HARSH as HELL!!

Darrin has a spring kit for this...I'll call him tomorrow!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

I do have a bottom spring for this Jack, give me a call.

Darrin

Put in a high-stall torque convertor, it eats up all the harshness. Of course it applies to the 2-3 shift also.
    2003 300B BLUE (stolen for 9 days)
    PI 3000 TC, 4:10 gear + girdle, Dynotech Driveshaft,
    bulletproof trans, 2nd trans cooler + deep pan & Redline D4 ATF
    Steeda UDs, Rear engine cooling kit, Denso plugs, high capacity oil filter on frame, Reinhart superchip
    + gauges, SilverStars, & fire extinguisher

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
    2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab/8' Bed; 21.5' long

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    I do have a bottom spring for this Jack, give me a call.

Darrin
    Darrin to the RESCUE!!!

He has a pair of springs that replace the OEM top and bottom ones in the 1-2 accumulator.....ordered today and should have them this week!!

Thanks Darrin!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by ahess77 View Post
    Put in a high-stall torque convertor, it eats up all the harshness. Of course it applies to the 2-3 shift also.
    I don't think that will work either since I'm at 3500-4500 RPM's when it "HITS" hard!!!

Even a 3500 stall converter will be stalled up there!!??

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

I am wondering, in advance, about your dilema as I experienced it on a earlier-model 4R70W with the J-Mod. You haven't tried the stock springs in combination with a larger (0.109") 1-2 restrictor plate hole?

I am wondering if this would provide the right combination of firm-without-slamming shifts.

Also, how does your computer sense load? Do you have a different MAP sensor (and corresponding tune) that measures boost?
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    I am wondering, in advance, about your dilema as I experienced it on a earlier-model 4R70W with the J-Mod. You haven't tried the stock springs in combination with a larger (0.109") 1-2 restrictor plate hole?

I am wondering if this would provide the right combination of firm-without-slamming shifts.

Also, how does your computer sense load? Do you have a different MAP sensor (and corresponding tune) that measures boost?

Mine is an '04 4R75W and most folk wouldn't object to it.....it "SNAPS" the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 is quick but not as harsh!! Darrin said the old spring would be too soft since he has experimented with it and other Ford spring combinations arriving at what he put in Killjoy's and what he is sending me.

I can monitor load with my ScanGauge II so I guess it does but not sure it adjusts anything from that input?? I suspect it gets what it gets with the accumulator spring gone??

Also, the 1-2 accumulator is MUCH BIGGER than the 2-3 one and according to Darrin that causes the harder 1-2 shift!!

If it had to stay this way I could learn to compensate for the midrange "bog" when it falls out of boost.....I wouldn't ever go back to stock shifting at this point!!

Marauderjack
    Last edited by Marauderjack; 01-15-2008 at 04:47 AM.
    No Marauder

Thread Information