Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sputter at idle

Sputter at idle

Hey Guys. I have had a sputter at idle coming out of the passenger side exhaust so it has to be a passenger cylinder. At idle it sounds like it is sputtering at one of the cylinders because it happens like clockwork so I am guessing I have a problemin only one cylinder. I have done a fuel filter change, cleaned the MAF and IAC, among other maintenance and it seems to become less worse, but seems to have started back up again, but never fully went away. I do not have a check engine light at all. What could it be? Please do not say valves or rings in the back cylinder! haha (No I have not done the cooling mod back there)
    Marauderless....

Lack of Disco? How were the plugs?
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I replaced the plugs around 6 months ago. Checked them when I was doing my maintenance to make sure they were tight, but I guess I am going to have to pop the cover again and pull the plugs to see how they look!
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Lack of Disco? How were the plugs?
    Marauderless....

Quote Originally Posted by tjmorin82 View Post
    I replaced the plugs around 6 months ago. Checked them when I was doing my maintenance to make sure they were tight, but I guess I am going to have to pop the cover again and pull the plugs to see how they look!
    Bro, swap the left coils/plugs with the right side. If your problem is still on the same side, it is not coils or plugs.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Its probably a bad coil. They only do it once and a while and make it hard to track down with out a light.
    While its acting up, try unplugging each coil one at a time, if it worsens then move to the next, if it stays the same, then you found the one.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Run some fuel injector cleaner also, you should allready do that every few gas fill ups. Wouldn't hurt to run a compression test while you have the plugs out just to see how she's holding up. If you don't have a tester, they are free to rent.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thank you sir.... Would a bad coil trigger a CEL? My CEL is off and still runs rough...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a View Post
    Its probably a bad coil. They only do it once and a while and make it hard to track down with out a light.
    While its acting up, try unplugging each coil one at a time, if it worsens then move to the next, if it stays the same, then you found the one.
    Marauderless....

During my maintenance I dumped in a can of seafoam so I did run some cleaner through there. I have a tester, but I am affraid of the result if I do a test! haha... I really hope it isn't valves or rings! I will check the coils as instructed and check the plugs to see how they look. I am nervous about this problem! I hope it is a simple fix!
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Run some fuel injector cleaner also, you should allready do that every few gas fill ups. Wouldn't hurt to run a compression test while you have the plugs out just to see how she's holding up. If you don't have a tester, they are free to rent.
    Marauderless....

During my maintenance I dumped in a can of seafoam so I did run some cleaner through there. I have a tester, but I am affraid of the result if I do a test! haha... I really hope it isn't valves or rings! I will check the coils as instructed and check the plugs to see how they look. I am nervous about this problem! I hope it is a simple fix!
    My idea is better

WIN WIN!~ Zack

Thank you sir.... Would a bad coil trigger a CEL? My CEL is off and still runs rough...
    My Crown vic would sputter and hesitate without a light. I ran through the coils and sure enough, it only took one to be bad to cause a issue.
    I drove all the way to Indiana with a misfiring coil in the Marauder and the light never came on. I knew which one it was cause it shorted out against the wall of my cam cover.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Your idea costs more money! I am very mechanically and electrically savvy, so if I can troubleshoot and find the route cause, then I don't have to buy all new plugs and all new coils. Plus if I buy all new plugs and coils and it isn't even the problem I have wasted money right there that can go towards fixing the valves or the rings if that is the problem! haha YOU FAIL!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    My idea is better
    Marauderless....

Your idea costs more money! I am very mechanically and electrically savvy, so if I can troubleshoot and find the route cause, then I don't have to buy all new plugs and all new coils. Plus if I buy all new plugs and coils and it isn't even the problem I have wasted money right there that can go towards fixing the valves or the rings if that is the problem! haha YOU FAIL!
    I didn't say buy all new ones, I said swap them from side to side. If the problem switches sides, it is a coil or a plug, if the sputter stays on the same side, let us know who re-builds your heads. Either way, I'm not the one failing, Faily Failureton.

WIN WIN!~ Zack

He said to swap?
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Casey, my apologies... I didn't read... I like that idea and I just may try it!
    Marauderless....

Casey, my apologies... I didn't read... I like that idea and I just may try it!
    Still love ya. Remember we have "true dual" exhaust, so if you hear it from only one pipe, it's got to be on that side of the engine. I'm no Maraudererologist, but I have used this technique on my own Marauder, it works.

WIN WIN!~ Zack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information