Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random misfire codes

Random misfire codes

Just recently this has been happening. I took the car out 3 weeks ago to a car meet and on the way there, the check engine light came on for #3 cylinder misfire and a misfire under 1K RPMs. I didn't feel anything from the engine and it idled smooth. I cleared the code and it didn't come back on.

I took the car out last weekend and no codes and no issues at all. Last night I take the car out and I get a check engine light for misfire on cyl #5 and a P3060 code which I can't find anything online about what it is. It seems to be a catalyst code which I think may be related to the misfire. I cleared it and then proceeded to drive the car another 50 miles and the code never came back and the engine felt smooth the entire time even before the light came on.

The plugs have all been replaced with new NGKs when I did the blower install 3 years ago and maybe less then 3000 miles, the coils were all replaced at the same time about 4 years ago and 3500 miles using motorcraft coils, the wiring harness behind the head is secure and not rubbing so that's ruled out, the injectors were flowtested low mile 39lb with less then 10k miles total, I can't figure why the misfire codes would randomly jump from one bank to the other and the engine idles and runs smooth. I don't think coils would all start to fail at the same time, could this be MAF related or fuel?

Thanks for any info.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Check your main engine harness, mine had some oxidation on some of the terminals a few years ago and cleaning them up rid my weird misfire issues.

I've also had to repair an on off miss on Cyl 4 due to how the wiring turns to plug into the coil and found one of the wires had finally pinched in half at the bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Check your main engine harness, mine had some oxidation on some of the terminals a few years ago and cleaning them up rid my weird misfire issues.

I've also had to repair an on off miss on Cyl 4 due to how the wiring turns to plug into the coil and found one of the wires had finally pinched in half at the bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I actually checked the main harness plug recently because my center console power point stopped working and there was no corrosion and clean contacts. Im going to wait til the next time a code comes up and see if it jumps to another cylinder. I just find it odd that it's misfiring from bank to bank and the engine is running smooth the entire time.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    Dyno tested power
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Code for the Fusion, but codes can be generic. Might be worth checking into, symptoms seem similar. Also noted a C-3060 code can be related to a failing catalytic converter, check the sensor for trouble.

Symptoms

Symptoms of a P3060 Ford Fusion diagnostic trouble code may include:
    • Vacuum leak on the engine
    • Reduction in engine performance, especially at low RPM levels
    • Engine surge
    • The light may stay on or light intermittently as the DPF regenerates. The engine will be sluggish on acceleration.

Possible Causes :

• Low fuel pressure caused by a clogged filter, failing fuel pump, failed fuel pressure regulator or clogged or leaking injectors.
    • Low fuel pressure caused by a clogged filter, failing fuel pump, failed fuel pressure regulator or clogged or leaking injectors.
    • Rarely - faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM-programming required after replacement)
    Last edited by Mr. Man; 08-20-2017 at 06:00 PM.

The only other thing I'm leaning towards is a tank of bad gas. I only got 240 miles to a tank full this fill up when I'm usually 325 to a tank. I'm also on the same tank full that I got two random misfire codes so it's making it suspect. I put gas in it last night so let's see if that improves it.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    Dyno tested power
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a View Post
    The only other thing I'm leaning towards is a tank of bad gas. I only got 240 miles to a tank full this fill up when I'm usually 325 to a tank. I'm also on the same tank full that I got two random misfire codes so it's making it suspect. I put gas in it last night so let's see if that improves it.
    How do you get 325 to a tank with a Blower? WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    No more than 1/8 throttle for the whole tank. Make sure it doesn't down shift to make a highway pass and keep A/C to a minimum.
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Paul, check the harness at the rear of the drivers side cam cover. It's been known to rub on the long bolt there. I cover the bolt with a rubber vacuum cap.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Just recently this has been happening. I took the car out 3 weeks ago to a car meet and on the way there, the check engine light came on for #3 cylinder misfire and a misfire under 1K RPMs. I didn't feel anything from the engine and it idled smooth. I cleared the code and it didn't come back on.

I took the car out last weekend and no codes and no issues at all. Last night I take the car out and I get a check engine light for misfire on cyl #5 and a P3060 code which I can't find anything online about what it is. It seems to be a catalyst code which I think may be related to the misfire. I cleared it and then proceeded to drive the car another 50 miles and the code never came back and the engine felt smooth the entire time even before the light came on.

The plugs have all been replaced with new NGKs when I did the blower install 3 years ago and maybe less then 3000 miles, the coils were all replaced at the same time about 4 years ago and 3500 miles using motorcraft coils, the wiring harness behind the head is secure and not rubbing so that's ruled out, the injectors were flowtested low mile 39lb with less then 10k miles total, I can't figure why the misfire codes would randomly jump from one bank to the other and the engine idles and runs smooth. I don't think coils would all start to fail at the same time, could this be MAF related or fuel?

Thanks for any info.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Paul, check the harness at the rear of the drivers side cam cover. It's been known to rub on the long bolt there. I cover the bolt with a rubber vacuum cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I Got 400ish highway to a tank with the canned Trilogy tune. 24mpg.

300 now after dynotune, 17mpg highway.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    I Got 400ish highway to a tank with the canned Trilogy tune. 24mpg.

300 now after dynotune, 17mpg highway.
    It's totally possible, I just got 391 today and filled it back up with 17.5 gallons on my way back from the Woodward Dream Cruise.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

I left out something that I didn't think as anything major. Recently my engine has been having a "crank no start" issue at random times. It's happened 3 times where the engine would just crank over and over but not start. I would let off the key, hit it again and it would fire right up. Going with the random hard starts, bad gas mileage, and now the misfire codes, I'm leaning towards a faulty crank position sensor. I ordered a new motorcraft one up and see what happens.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    Dyno tested power
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    I left out something that I didn't think as anything major. Recently my engine has been having a "crank no start" issue at random times. It's happened 3 times where the engine would just crank over and over but not start. I would let off the key, hit it again and it would fire right up. Going with the random hard starts, bad gas mileage, and now the misfire codes, I'm leaning towards a faulty crank position sensor. I ordered a new motorcraft one up and see what happens.
    I was saying crank sensor in my mind before I finished reading your post , another members car was doing the exact same thing and it turned out to be the crank sensor.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Update......

Swapped out the crank position sensor this morning. I drove the car about 30 miles, hard throttle, light throttle, sitting in traffic and open road, no check engine light.

I also noticed the engine started faster, idle is much smoother, I had a slight shudder when the car would idle at a traffic light, that's cleared up, the gas gauge did not move after driving the car hard. So gas mileage is definitely back to normal and I have a noticeable amount of power back in the car.

Before it was feeling sluggish which I thought was because of the heat and humidity. I took it out today and it spins tires at 1/4 throttle and pulls so much harder through the gears. This sensor may have been bad for quite a while for all I know and the misfire codes finally brought it to light. I'll drive the car some more to be certain but overall the engine feel so much smoother and drivability feels much better.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    Dyno tested power
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

This problem is not solved.
    I’m still getting a misfire code on cylinder #5. It started out with #3 and #5 misfires but a coil swap on #3 took care of that and that code never came back.

I’ve swapped the spark plug from #5 to cylinder #6, new coil, went back to the stock coil connector, ECM was sent out, tested and came back with nothing wrong with it, and the crank position sensor was replaced.
    It’s totally random, before it was under 1K RPMs, now it’s under normal driving. A few weeks ago I put over 200 miles on the car with no codes or issues, then the light came on. I checked the coil to make sure it’s connected and I got a pending code for cyl #5 within 100 miles.
    The engine runs smooth and has all its power, just keep getting this code. Any idea? It’s nearly a year that I been chasing this and I can’t get the car inspected because the CEL comes on before the monitors can set.

Thanks for any info.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    Dyno tested power
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage