Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford Teeters Toward Junk With Moody's

Europe used to run small displacement V-8's in all sorts of cars. They got reasonable numbers all around and were reliable. I knew a guy years ago from Germany who used to tease that with all the displacement American cars made the horsepower numbers were the same as 4 liter or less V-8's in Europe.

I still can't figure out the reasoning Ford is using to completely give away market share in so many segments.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent2006 View Post
    If I had any turbo, I'd always run Mobil 1 in there, change it every 3,000 miles and before I shut the thing off after a long hard ride, I'd let it idle in the driveway for a minute.
    Yep,
    I did that with my 1979 Mustang 2.3L Turbo....the original one, with a non-intercooled, draw thru 2bbl carburetor and 'oil only' cooling on the turbo bearings
    (no coolant jacket around the bearings).
    They didn't have Mobil 1 back then, but I used UniFlo every 3,000 miles and always let it idle before shutting it down.
    It ran like a top....had 100,000+ miles before I sold it.
    The new turbo motors have coolant flow to the turbo bearings plus intercooling to avoid detonation.

Owners who neglect maintenance and who shut off their turbo motor while its very hot will always be the ones complaining about problems with the engine.
    Unfortunately.... that is exactly what many turbo owners do.
    That is why FORD will get into trouble selling a lot of the EcoBoost engines.
    Stupid....errrr......unknowledgeable car owners.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    Really!?
    I haven't seen anything about an epidemic of Ecoboost motor failures.

Want to know why Honda and Turdyota hardly ever use turbos...?
    Because turbo motors need more frequent oil changes if you want them to live a long, trouble free life.
    Honda and Turdyota owners don't even know what an oil dipstick looks like....let alone how their road going appliance works.

BTW...the little 2.7L runs wayyyy quicker than everyone expects....

Hop over to the F150 forums, plenty of complaining. But, it's like that with anything. Both my 150's have 5.0's in them, wifey has a new expy with a 3.5 turdbo, it runs good...for now 6k miles, a little over a year of ownership, I guess we'll see, since she keeps cars till they're dust, or she totals them.

Making a little motor work extra hard to drag around a 5k+ truck just doesn't make sense to me.....
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

My neighbor has an F-150 Eco-Boost and he says it drives OK but fuel mileage sux.......16 to 17 on the Interstate.....he said the dealer told him mid 20's.....not good!!
    No Marauder

I test drove F150 in January. I was highly unimpressed. 32k got me a 1/2 ton, 5.0, auto, longbox, 4x4, with roll-up windows (and the window cranks hit the seats). That same truck with 100k miles and rotted out box and cab corners is 16k.

Two weeks ago I bought a used Mazda 3.

My friend yelled at me. "What'ya gonna do when you need a truck?"

"Same as always" I said. "I'll give you $100 and I'll fill up your tank. At the end of the day it's yours again. You can deal with the *****y mileage. You can put new tires on it. You can insure it. You can buy new injection pumps and new trannies."

I probably shouldn't have said that. Now it'll cost me $200/day to use his truck. Oh well. My Mazda gets good gas mileage and the 5 speed stick makes it fun to drive. Oh yeah, saved me about $28,000 too.

I don't want ANY car or truck with direct injection until that gets sorted. Seems rather problematic at the moment.

Ford could have sold me a $17,000 truck but they don't/can't/won't make one. Besides that, with the market going nuts I'd be dumb to put my money in the driveway.
    "No one is useless if they can still be used as a bad example." ~ SSgt. Miller.

"Loud pipes lose rights."

The guy who runs Ford now used to be the CEO of a furniture company. What could you expect. Buy stock in the furniture because this guy isn't in charge there any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot281 View Post
    My friend yelled at me. "What'ya gonna do when you need a truck?"

"Same as always" I said. "I'll give you $100 and I'll fill up your tank. At the end of the day it's yours again. You can deal with the *****y mileage. You can put new tires on it. You can insure it. You can buy new injection pumps and new trannies."
    You could do that... or you could drive your Mazda over to Menard's or Home Depot and rent an F-250 (at our Menard's & Home Depot, anyway) for $19.95

Back to the topic:
    I agree that someone at Ford doesn't have their head screwed on right. There IS a market for a family sedan that's done right and priced right.
    Regards,
    Gene

2004 Grandma Marquis LS HPP ( With "MZT" and "SCT ": "The Undercover Marauder")

2004 Ford Ranger Duratec Flareside

1984 Ford Mustang LX Convertible

Rent a truck from Enterprise for $69.95/day.

($32,000-$16,000) /100,000 miles is = 16 cents per mile.

There's plenty of $2000 Ford F150's out there you can buy put miles on as a yard tool, then sell later.

My own auto view of the world is it all comes down to cents/mile. 5 cents/mile is the gold standard, 10 cents/mi = OK , 15 c/mi getting expensive.

For example 2006 Grand Marquis: 46,000 miles for $7800.
    put $200 in it so far (control arm, speedo cluster) --so $8,000

now worth $2500, 130,000 miles --calculation stands at 6.3 cents/mile, still going strong.

I don't count gas (everything I ever drove gets 16-22 mpg), tires, brake pads, insurance, alignments--those neutral out as a function of $$/mile. mostly regardless of the car. Yeah you could split hairs here, but my attention span is limited.

[QUOTE=tbone;1564443]1. Ford never took a government bailout. Kudos to them for that.
    2. The management decisions are hugely impacted by governmental regulations. Last I heard the ridiculous Obama fuel mileage requirements have not been lifted. V8's? Gone.
    3. Unions wages kill the bottom line and to date the Jap makers here are still non union. Look around at all the Jap cars everywhere.
    4. China will be making all our cars and trucks too in the near future unless President Trump can level the playing field.[/QUOTE

Don't worry Trump will add tariffs to foreign cars to get us back on track.
    2004 MM (Black) #112 of 3213 (SOLD)

2022 Ford Ff-150 SuperCab Iconic Silver "Powerboost"
    3.35 L 4X4
    -AND-
    SLAYER1
    formerly owned by "Impala Slayer!! 2004 SB MM
    Kenne Belle 2.8 (Liquid Cooled), MMR "Boss 302" Block, L&M Engines rebuild Kooks Headers and cats, Accusump Pre-Oiler Dynamax VT mufflers, MBS 2 1/2" exhaust, 4.10's, 2800 stall, Argento 312 "Color" Powder coated wheels, Rears widened 1 1/2 "703
    702 RWHP/653 RWTQ @ 21 Lbs. Boost, M/M catch can, 3 pillar gauge (Boost, Fuel, air intake and coolant temp, custom console cover, S-55 treatment etc...

Quote Originally Posted by PonyGuy View Post
    You could do that... or you could drive your Mazda over to Menard's or Home Depot and rent an F-250 (at our Menard's & Home Depot, anyway) for $19.95

Back to the topic:
    I agree that someone at Ford doesn't have their head screwed on right. There IS a market for a family sedan that's done right and priced right.
    I live an hour from a place that rents trucks. That'd take half an 8 hour day to pick one up and return it.

An F250 won't work for what I need. Usually I have to move a tractor or borrow the neighbors cat. She doesn't have a truck anymore either so I want to use it I have to haul it. I'm not dropping 50+k on a 1 ton dually just to borrow her cat.

I recently drove a 2010 MKZ and was highly unimpressed. The Focus seemed like a decent value...as far as new cars go. Don't have much experience with the rest of their line-up but haven't seen much there that piqued my interest.
    "No one is useless if they can still be used as a bad example." ~ SSgt. Miller.

"Loud pipes lose rights."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information