Thread: roof paint.

roof paint.

Anyone in SE Mich know where I can get the paint pops on the roof of our Marauder repaired. Ford dlr says that it can't be done without removing the front and rear glass. Any help would be appreciated.
    Never Rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kuznicki View Post
    Anyone in SE Mich know where I can get the paint pops on the roof of our Marauder repaired. Ford dlr says that it can't be done without removing the front and rear glass. Any help would be appreciated.
    He's right....mine is doing it too....
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

I had mine re-done - 147 rust blisters!!

Left the glass in.
    Not perfect but the rust is gone/sandblasted clean and the roof panel won't rust again.
    The rest of the car is ready for a respray but NIB at this time.
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

who did yours?
    Never Rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut !!!!!

it is very do able, while the right way is to pull the windows, it doesnt have to be done that way. they can do it the old school way and work a piece of rope in around the edge of the window holding the seal up so the paint can go underneith it. they now make a tape that has a hard plastic edge along one side of it. the hard plastic edge goes under the seal and the sticky part of the tape sticks to the window pulling the seal up. id try a shop that is privately owned and even on that does restorations. i use the tape method alot at work( i paint for a gm/toyota dealer) and it works just fine. hope this helps!

yea i need mine redone really bad as well mine has about 100 rust blinkers on it i used the touch up paint for time being to hide the acually rust spots but still looks horrible

i would like to try and do it myself but not gonna try into summer hits

i would love a write-up on how to do so

a freind of mine has a paint gun and all the tools/equipment on doing so

im sure ALOTTT of us would love a set by step on doing so to save us a ton of money bause when it comes to painting labor is what cost the most

i would guess:
    clean area real good get all wax/grease/oil/dirt off
    tape off area dont want painted
    sand area down to bare metal
    bondo up all the rust blisters
    sand down all the bondo to get a smooth blister free surface
    clean again then clean again
    paint several coats of the UA paint if a black MM of course using a paint gun
    several coats of clear coat
    wet sand area to get smooth surface/ bring the shine out in the paint
    buff/buff/buff/polish/wax

would this be about right???

because this is somethign im going to do next summer into i can get 4,000 for perfessional paint job because im sure 8/10 03 black marauders has some kind of roof paint damage by now..

i was told by the original owner that i bought my maruader from my marauder i have started having roof paint problems in 2006 only 4 years after painted out of the factory that is crazy and the warranty would not cover it..thats some bs if you ask me..

its not our fault that they had crap in the paint lines or whatever happened to all the 03 rauders that insane and terrible news and have to spend 3.000 to 5,500 depends on were u go to get a complete perfessional paint job..

03 MERC MARAUDER 300A BLACK/CHARCOAL
    BORN 6/19/2002
    #1576 OF A BUILD OF 7838
    MODS:
    Motor Rebuid: 7/22/11, Transmission Rebuild: 11/24/10, SCT DR 93 octane tune , K&N CAI, BC4E Dead Pedal, FBM LCM & EATC Fix, Marty-O Fender Badges , "POWERED BY FORD" Coil Covers, Optima Red Top Battery, SS Inserts, Personilized Tags, Factory Spolier , CarMotorSports Badges , 2.5 Crowl Fiberglass Hood , 6k HID Head/ 6K HID Fog Lights , Reinhart Proguard , G2 RED painted calibers , Gorilla Wheel Lock System , FBM "MARUADER" Pedals/ Sills.....

AUDIO SYSTEM:
    Pioneer 7' Touchscreen DVD Headunit , 2 12' Kicker L7's, Kicker 1500.1 Amp , Kicker 350.4 Amp , Kicker Ported Sub Box, "Big 3" Upgrade , 0 Guage Stinger Wires All Around , Rocksford Fosgate 10 Farad Capacitor , Kinetiks HC2000 Audio Battery , 250 Amp DB Alternator , Dynamat All Around , Rocksford 6x8 Doors, Kicker 6x9 Deck Amplified , Kicker 6x9 in Trunk Amplified ,Rocksford 1' Tweeters Custom Mounted "A" Pillars...

Have you have painted before? If not I would let someone else do the job. There is no limit to how bad paint and especially prep work can be screwed up. Black is a very picky color, it will show everything. I'm not trying to offend you, I don't know your skill level. It's just that it is a lot harder than it looks. Again, no flames. It would just be a shame to to spend the money on expensive supplies and then still have to pay to get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kuznicki View Post
    who did yours?
    Local autobody/restoration shop.
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Sadly, my car is also blistering like crazy on the roof. I'm going to have to do something about it after winter because it's not pretty.
    -Mike

"A common mistake people make when designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Unknown

'03 Black Canadian 300A -Born 11/14/02, Adopted 04/05/05
    #6018 of 11,052

Trilogy #196 - Self-installed
    Stuff done to it. See here.

Every time I read a paint thread I do 2 things.

Celebrate that I sold my black when it just barely started having issues.
    Want to punch Ford quality control in the coin purse.

Matt H.
    (sold)2004' SB, 268rwhp/295tq
    1990 Mustang GT, Dart 363, Si-trim, T56, Holley Terminator X. 622rwhp/527tq
    2003 SVT Cobra, Posi Port 497rwhp/481tq. SCT Pro Racer Pack.
    2017 F-150, 5.0
    2013 SHO DIB Performance Pack

i would guess:
    clean area real good get all wax/grease/oil/dirt off
    tape off area dont want painted
    sand area down to bare metal
    bondo up all the rust blisters
    sand down all the bondo to get a smooth blister free surface
    clean again then clean again
    paint several coats of the UA paint if a black MM of course using a paint gun
    several coats of clear coat
    wet sand area to get smooth surface/ bring the shine out in the paint
    buff/buff/buff/polish/wax

would this be about right???

Ya thats about right, but as was said if you have never done it i would recommend you do it under the supervision of someone that has. im in the middle of building a personal body shop at the moment. once its done i will be doing my blisters on my roof, and hood and trunk lid. i could probably do a step by step of how to do it then. the chances are that you will not need to bondo much of anything. i would clean with dish soap and water to remove wax, and such. tape it of, grab a d.a. sander(which is where it can start to go bad if your not carefull) with 80 grit sand paper and sand the entire roof to bare metal. you should be able to sand all the rust off with 80 grit. if you cant then its going ot get more involved. once your done stripping the paint of the panel, sand the bare metal with 180-220 grit paper. then use a good self etching metal primer, and on top of that a good urethane primer. id put 2-4 coats of urethane primer on. then grab a 9" long block (or something close to it) with 320-400 grit sandpaper on it and block sand the urethane primer until its perfectly flat. make sure not to push down on then block. let the weight of the block do the work just push it back and forth. once thats done blow everything off really, really well, wipe it off with a wax and grease remover, or i use acetone at home when im in a pinch, then wipe over it with a tack cloth to remove and final dirt nibs. alot of guys will spray a dark sealer coat on to help the black to cover. i use sealer at work but not always at home. not a must do. if your going to use a sealer spray that first, alow it to flash (dry ) for the amount of time that the maker specifies or more or less time depending onthe temperature where you paint. if it cold it will take longer to flash, hot less time obviously. then put 2-4 coats of your base and allow it to flash off. same theory applies as the sealer. then 3-4 coats of clear. and i only say 3-4 because im guessing that you will be painting in a garage or barn or shop and not in a paint booth and the 3-4 coats will allow you to sand it to perfectly smooth when your done. let it dry over night and i usually find it is best to paint in the morning because the bugs arent moving yet and a bug can ruin a paint job( trust me lol) then grab your block again with some 1000 grit sand paper thats wet or dry, grab some soapy water and sand until your nibs are almost gone, then swtich to 2000 grit paperuntil the nibs are gone, then buff. you can polish fresh paint after its buffed but not wax for a month or two after it is done.

like i said inteh beguining. if you have never done it do yourself a favor and enlist the help of someone that does know what there doing. not trying to create an issue by any means, but i know how wrong a paint job can go and it will cost more to fix your mess then it would to have it fixed by a shop the first time around. or find a guy like me that does it at home and will hook you up with a cheaper price but the quality will be as good or better then a shop...

just my .02

Dan

Nice right up. Thanks

What do you use for a respirator at home?
    03 SB 300B

Eaton Swap Tuned by Fast Specialities

Trans rebuilt by Darin at BC Automotive with a Triple Disc 11in Circle D TC. Tuned by Zack. The man that made my Marauder fun again.

4.10 gears with Cobra clutches. No more one wheel peel

Metco Drive Shaft Loop.

Next bigger brakes!!!!

oh point well taking the only paiting i have EVER done is painting my bikes back when young and recently did my s-55 tailight treatment and turned out pretty well

not PERFECT but 9/10 and looks good i get commplimenst all th etime saying im a good painting but im so anal about my MM i see one little bump in it and that just me...

but we all know black is a pain in th erar to get perfect and takes a real perfesional

03 MERC MARAUDER 300A BLACK/CHARCOAL
    BORN 6/19/2002
    #1576 OF A BUILD OF 7838
    MODS:
    Motor Rebuid: 7/22/11, Transmission Rebuild: 11/24/10, SCT DR 93 octane tune , K&N CAI, BC4E Dead Pedal, FBM LCM & EATC Fix, Marty-O Fender Badges , "POWERED BY FORD" Coil Covers, Optima Red Top Battery, SS Inserts, Personilized Tags, Factory Spolier , CarMotorSports Badges , 2.5 Crowl Fiberglass Hood , 6k HID Head/ 6K HID Fog Lights , Reinhart Proguard , G2 RED painted calibers , Gorilla Wheel Lock System , FBM "MARUADER" Pedals/ Sills.....

AUDIO SYSTEM:
    Pioneer 7' Touchscreen DVD Headunit , 2 12' Kicker L7's, Kicker 1500.1 Amp , Kicker 350.4 Amp , Kicker Ported Sub Box, "Big 3" Upgrade , 0 Guage Stinger Wires All Around , Rocksford Fosgate 10 Farad Capacitor , Kinetiks HC2000 Audio Battery , 250 Amp DB Alternator , Dynamat All Around , Rocksford 6x8 Doors, Kicker 6x9 Deck Amplified , Kicker 6x9 in Trunk Amplified ,Rocksford 1' Tweeters Custom Mounted "A" Pillars...

I would not recomend body filler on a large flat panel like the roof.
    Black out in the sun is an extreme thermal event. Prime condition for separation/cracking of filler under paint. IMHO
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

i use a gerson or 3m respirator. the one that has the two filters on the outside. we use the same thing at work.

Thread Information