Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whistle noise form engine compartment

Whistle noise form engine compartment

Just installed a new aluminator crate motor. Car is making a whitsle noise when in drive, car only whistles when acelerating seems to be coming from engine compartment. Car has Jlt cai I checked for vacuum leaks cant find any motor idles and runs good. seems to be coming from intake I swapped out my jlt with my friends K&N and it still maked the noise. Anyone have any ideas?

Intake manifold leak? Have you verified all possible vacuum leaks with propane?
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Just installed a new aluminator crate motor.
    Nice! Anything different about the intake than before? Is that the same powder coated intake? TB? If you s/c it, it'll just be louder!
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Went around the engine compartment with propane didnt hear the idle change i will check again tomorrow. I cant seem to get the car to whistle at idle in the driveway so it is hard to pnpoint the noise. No supercharger for now Racer x my wallet still has to recover down the road though....

Aluminator...... Mmmmmmmm....

Are you running a catch can with smaller fittings than a 11/32?
    What did you run for a PCV setup? I know the PS cam cover is setup for a Cobra PCV
    Last edited by musclemerc; 07-20-2010 at 10:53 AM.

The cold air intake can cause a whistle when it is pulling air in easily.

I have had plenty ask if I had a turbo under the hood due to the sound.
    It started to happen after I ported the intake and heads.

Bought Her for my 40th B Day in August of 2004 @ Crest Lincoln Mercury
    Assembled 12/17/2003
    #1183 of a build of 3214
    and is #379 of 1237

Link to Mod's and car:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...o=view&id=8832

Link to Pictures of the Kids/Animals, Cars I have built or a hand in building as well as cars and trucks I have owned.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...php?albumid=16

An improperly set up PCV system or a weak collapsing hose will cause your exact problem. I went thru this on Bawazir's car and Zack said he had the same issues. It was trial and error for me till I just made him a solid tube to replace the collapsing hose issue. No problems since. You could easilly disconnect the PCV for now just to isolate it to see if that is where the problem is. Stock intake?
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Aluminator...... Mmmmmmmm....

Are you running a catch can with smaller fittings than a 11/32?
    What did you run for a PCV setup? I know the PS cam cover is setup for a Cobra PCV
    I drilled the fitting from the stock valve cover into the aluminators the ps valve cover is the same but it is not drilled for the fitting so I just drilled two holes and installed it. On the drivers side I put in an elbow so the pcv clears the cowl support. The valve covers that some on the aluminator are set up for a stang so on the drivers the pcv bung it about six inches further to the firewall then on the marauder. I will look into the noise more tomorrow I will update on my findings. It may just be the intake but my old jlt never made this noise.

which aluminator did you get?

NA 10:1 compression.

What I.D. was the 90*? What material is it made of?

Elbow is Nylon Dont know the id,od is about 5/8ths

Found the noise vacuum leak through lower intake manifold. Manifold was hitting the evenflow mod had to grind it down a little more.

Thats great news. Atleast it was an easy fix.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

im bet your glad to be back in that thing Tom
    2010 fusion se

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information