Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Crown Vics are Tops with Cops

Why Crown Vics are Tops with Cops

From: http://www.hamptonroads.com/stories/crown_vics.html

By BY LARRY PRINTZ, The Virginian-Pilot
    © September 9, 2006

Maybe you haven't noticed, but it seems that every police officer drives a Ford Crown Victoria.

With more modern alternatives available, you have to wonder what law enforcement officials find so appealing about the full-sized, American car dating to the late 1970s.

Of the 62,545 Crown Victorias sold in 2005, 47,300 were Crown Victoria Police Interceptors - 80 percent of all police cars sold in the United States. Only 6,908 Crown Victorias went to retail buyers, with the remainder going to fleet buyers.

According to Tony Gratson, government sales manager for Ford Motor Company, the car is popular with law enforcement for what it offers: lots of space, rear-wheel drive and a V-8 engine.

"It's a larger car, full-sized. It's much larger than the Chevrolet police car. It has great visibility all the way around," explains Skip Webb, fleet manager at Hall Automotive in Virginia Beach. Webb sells fleet vehicles throughout Virginia, including police cars from all domestic manufacturers, such as the Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Impala.

"The Dodge has limited visibility to the rear. The Chevrolet Impala is not as large a car. Once you put a screen or a barricade behind the driver to protect the officer from whoever is riding in the back seat, it's very limited."

Cpl. Ollan Burruss, of the Norfolk Police Department, says this was a consideration when deciding whether to purchase Impalas.

"When we put the cage in there for the safety of our officers, the seats won't go back far enough. So larger officers have problems getting in and out of the car, and there are restrictions in the back seat. The amount of room they have in the back is limited."

Burruss also says the Ford has a presence that the Chevrolet lacks.

"When you're in the Crown Victoria, people tend to take notice. They're not running red lights, they're paying attention. The car stands out more, and that makes me feel more secure. Even in an unmarked Impala, people do all kinds of stupid stuff, and you're like, 'you know, don't they know I'm a police officer?"

Aside from space and presence, police need their vehicles to be durable - especially patrol cars, which run 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Crown Victoria is built the same way as most trucks, using body-on-frame construction. This lends the Crown Victoria the durability to withstand the tough demands expected of it, while making it easier to fix than its competitors.

"It's a lot more expensive to repair a front-wheel-drive vehicle than it is a rear-wheel-drive vehicle," says Burruss.

"For a lot of front-wheel-drive vehicles, you've got to drop the transmission and pull the motor. If you have a problem with the driveshaft in a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, you put in new u-joints and you're on your way."

Police departments do buy vehicles other than Crown Victorias. In Norfolk, detectives usually drive Chevrolet Impalas. SUVs, such as the Ford Explorer and Chevrolet Tahoe, are bought for weather emergencies, since Norfolk's streets flood easily. Except for the rear-wheel-drive Tahoe, SUVs aren't pursuit-rated, limiting their usefulness.

Ford has maintained its leadership by setting up a police advisory board to suggest ways of improving the Crown Victoria for police use. This has led to such safety features, as a factory-installed fire-suppression system and ballistic door panels that provide protection from projectiles, including bullets.

It's also led to some extreme testing. Ford is the only manufacturer that rear crash tests their police car at 75 mph, to ensure the front-seat space remains intact in high-speed impacts.

While Ford changes the car to improve its performance or safety, the change is never radical. "Police departments want the car to stay the same, but they want it to improve. For instance, you don't want to make them buy new cages," explains Gratson.

Money is always an issue, not simply in equipping or maintaining the cars, but buying them as well. This is where the Crown Victoria holds the advantage, according to Burruss.

"From what I've been told, the average price is about $25-$26,000 for the Dodge Charger police package. Right now, it costs us $18,000 for a Crown Victoria. For the price of three Chargers, you can buy four Crown Victorias."

This adds up to a vehicle that most departments will continue to buy, according to Webb.

"It's been a good vehicle that's lasted a long time for the departments. They would really have to have a reason to change it. The other vehicles have not offered everything that the Crown Victoria does."

WHAT POLICE DRIVE

When it comes to cop cars, the Ford Crown Victoria remains the dominent choice of law enforcement. Both Chevrolet and Dodge seek to change that.

Chevrolet Impala
    Engine: 3.9-liter 240-horsepower OHV V-6
    Transmission: Four-speed automatic
    Drive wheels: Front
    Alternator: 150 amps
    Wheelbase: 110.5 inches
    Length: 200.4 inches
    Passenger volume: 104.5 cubic ft.
    Safety systems: Front-seat airbags, anti-lock disc brakes

Dodge Charger
    Engine: 3.5-liter 250-horsepower V-6 or 5.7-liter 340-horsepower V-8
    Transmission: Five-speed automatic
    Drive wheels: Rear
    Alternator: 160 amps
    Wheelbase: 120 inches
    Length: 200.1 inches
    Passenger volume: 120.2 cubic ft.
    Safety systems: anti-lock brakes, front seat airbaghs, traction control, electronic stability control, emergency brake assist

Ford Crown Victoria
    Engine: 4.6-liter 250-horsepower SOHC V-8
    Transmission: Four-speed automatic
    Drive wheels: Rear
    Alternator: 200 amps
    Wheelbase: 114.6 inches
    Length: 212 inches
    Passenger volume: 106.4 cubic ft.
    Safety systems: anti-lock brakes, front seat airbaghs, traction control, optional ballistic door panels, optional fire suppression system

• Reach Larry Printz at (757) 446-2220 or larry.printz@pilotonline.com.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Read that on CVN. Good to see some + news about the CV/Panthers.
    (2003 Mercury Marauder 300a)
    Bought: 09/22/2004 Retired 07/08/2006

(2004 DTR Mercury Marauder)
    Bought: 05/18/2008 Retired: 01/04/2010

(2003 Mercury Marauder 300a)
    Bought: 06/2012 31K Miles

Where I work in Ewing Twp. NJ the local Officers told me it's only a few curb hit to wreck a front wheel drive car.

Makes sense to stick with CVPI cars let hope the Ford boss sees the light?
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

It's about time. Some guys on CVN were saying that the Panther platform might dissappear. That's a low number though, 6k only going to retailers? Well, if Ford wants every PD to keep on using the Panther's, they better upgrade the tired SOHC 4.6l to something with a more powerful punch. I mean, Chevy's 3.9 is putting out 10 less HP with two less cylinders, and Dodge's V6 is dead even with them at 250.
    Last edited by Raudermaster; 09-11-2006 at 07:00 PM.
    '03 A #1801 - Tuned By Outlaw Dyno
    445rwhp/408rwtq - 12.6/110mph
    DR Vortech NOIC #5
    Sold
    '88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, built 8.8"
    '11 F250 Powerstroke - 476hp/1208tq

Quote Originally Posted by Raudermaster View Post
    It's about time. Some guys on CVN were saying that the Panther platform might dissappear. That's a low number though, 6k only going to retailers? Well, if Ford wants every PD to keep on using the Panther's, they better upgrade the tired SOHC 4.6l to something with a more powerful punch. I mean, Chevy's 3.9 is putting out 10 less HP with two less cylinders, and Dodge's V6 is dead even with them at 250.
    The low retail sales was surprising to me too. Admittedly, living in Detroit we see a different mix of cars than the rest of country. But, I see a lot of CVs that look privately owned around here. I read that Ford intended to stop all retail sales of the CV and just offer it to fleets and police. But that was at least two changes in direction ago.

There's more to the motors than HP. If Ford can demonstrate that the 4.6 is more reliable than the others I can see why a PD would prefer it even if is less powerful.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

ex00p71 Guest
    I'm betting it makes more torque than everything on the list except for the 5.7.

I drove an 06 CVPI recently.

Nice car, but the drive by wire and 3:27 gears would take a bit of getting used too.

Does anyone know if they have a "soft" tune in the car until break-in is done?

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Quote Originally Posted by Raudermaster View Post
    I believe I read over 50,000 Grand Marquis are sold every year.
    2005 Dodge 1500 Hemi Quadcab
    2020 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

hitchhiker Guest
    IMHO, the CV and GM's are a victim of little or no marketing effort. Compared to other makes they offer a lot for the money. The last few years they could even be had for around $20K during the last few months of each model year! In the good old days all the mid size and full size models were offered at various trim and power levels giving the public a wide range of options. Ford should extend the life of the CV's and GM's with more trim, option, and engine options up to and including an option package that approximates our Marauders and advertise them. Also, the Marauder really isn't bad on gas if I keep my foot out of it. Like that's realy going to happen, LOL!

Good article.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Only 6,908 Crown Victorias went to retail buyers
    Cool, looks like my 05 Sport is a collectible!!
    The Whimpala is a piece of crap police car and looking at the three Chargers we just got (non Hemi) I don't think they are any better.
    I'll take my old Vic back please!
    05 Crown Vic Sport, 86 Notch

I think the fixed rear antenna turned off some buyers.
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by KAILUAZ View Post
    Cool, looks like my 05 Sport is a collectible!!
    The Whimpala is a piece of crap police car and looking at the three Chargers we just got (non Hemi) I don't think they are any better.
    I'll take my old Vic back please!
    I also believe that CVs with HPP are also collectible.

Rest In Peace:
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by RoyLPita View Post
    I think the fixed rear antenna turned off some buyers.
    Cutting it shorter was my first "mod".
    05 Crown Vic Sport, 86 Notch

Arrow Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by DEFYANT View Post
    I drove an 06 CVPI recently.

Nice car, but the drive by wire and 3:27 gears would take a bit of getting used too.

Does anyone know if they have a "soft" tune in the car until break-in is done?
    I talked to 2 driveability techs and my assistant manager and they said that there is no break in tune. They did say that there is an instant hesitation when the pedal is pushed, though.

Just so you know, a CVPI with 3.27 gears is no match whatsoever to your beast.

Rest In Peace:
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information