Thread: ticking sound

ticking sound

OK, anybody else have this?

When I'm standing outside the vehicle, and it's being driven away from me (or past me) slowly, I hear a ticky-ticky-ticky sound that reminds me of the sound fake wire-wheel hubcaps make after they get old...it doesn't seem to be coming from the motor at all, seems like the right rear...and the lug nuts are tight. I cannot hear this sound from inside the car...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

schuvwj Guest
    I have not herd a ticky-ticky sound but I do have a sound that comes from under the car or dash which sounds just like like a rock being thrown out of my fromt tire and hits the plastic wheel-well.

I know its not a rock because I heard it while at a stop sign last night.
    I think it is in the heater area. Seems to happen when the heater temp. reached the set amount on the temp control.

Does your ticky-ticky sound stop when at a stand still? Could it be a bad U-joint?
    I'd take it to L/M dealer!
    Bill Schuver

I had a ticky-ticky sound also from the right rear... kind of like a baseball card through the spokes of a bicycle wheel, but much lower sounding..... seems to have stopped. I'll have to check again...
    JohnnyB

2004 Mach 1 - Torch Red 5 Speed

2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A, RPC Chip, 4.10's, K&N Aircharger

2002 Ford Focus ZX5

Bill,

Yes, the sound slows down when the car does and stops when the car stops.

Boy, I HATE going back to the dealer...it's out of the way and is a pain to leave it and then go back for it because of my work hours...and it better NOT be a bad u-joint with only 4000 miles...

I was hoping someone would have had this sound already and be able to tell me it's the canooten valve or the gozinta or something simple...

Johnny B, if you hear it again and find it, I'd really appreciate knowing...if I find it first, I'll let you know...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

OK... I don't think it is a bad u joint. Sounds more like something is rubbing against something.... like a piece of packing material hitting the rim or drive shaft. I'm going to go under the car and look....
    JohnnyB

2004 Mach 1 - Torch Red 5 Speed

2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A, RPC Chip, 4.10's, K&N Aircharger

2002 Ford Focus ZX5

schuvwj Guest
    My 2000 LS Lincoln made a simular noise but I never took it to the dealer because everytime they fixed one problem the made two!

I'll listen to my MM tonight and I'll let you know if I hear the ticky-ticky.

Had the problem the day I picked the mine up from the dealer it tooked them 2-days to find the problem. It was the rt rear e-brake cable rubbing agianst something not sure what it was rubbing against but it sounds just like what RF was describing. hope this helps!
    Last edited by BODYMAN; 12-30-2002 at 07:19 PM.

04 SB-- Alluminator/2.3 Whipple 20lbs boost, 545RWHP/556RWTQ sold!!

2012 Mustang GT Kona Blue-My New Baby!

03 300A- Vortech S-trim A2A 500 RWHP -Sold

03 Marauder KB-S #7- R.I.P.Bought new 06-02
    sent to KB 1-03 #7 but it was the 3rd one they did

Hi:

For what it is worth, I had a similar problem. The car, right off the lot had a tick tick sound. It was not there when cold. When warmed up you could hear it more on acceleration. I had to really listen for it at times.
    The dealer said they repositioned the motor mounts and exhaust pipes. For sure the sound was gone after their work. Perhaps you have a similar problem?

Regards

Thanks to all who responded...this gives me a few things to look for before I have to bring it in...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Thread Information