Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car stalled for the first time

Car stalled for the first time

Hi,
    My Marauder died for the first time since I've had it (3 years, bought used). The battery amp light flickered on for a few seconds a few times. Then I stopped at a stop light and the amp light came on again and then the check engine light. The car had died. Had to restart the car. Running fine again so far. Battery amp light flickered on one more time as I got going after it died. The voltmeter looked fine during all of this. Car seems fine now.

What was the issue? The battery? The alternator?

Also, my miles is at about 87,000.
    Last edited by 88LTDCV351; 02-06-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Sounds like what happened when my battery started putzing out.

VatoZone and Advance should be able to test it.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Quote Originally Posted by adam/cleveland View Post
    Sounds like what happened when my battery started putzing out.

VatoZone and Advance should be able to test it.
    + 1. I got lucky, mine happened in the driveway. I popped the hood and looked at the little indicator on the battery, toast.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

I limped my car home from work (10+ miles), by the end of the journey the car was starting to idle weird, shift strange, etc. (This was on the Grand Marquis)
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Time for a new battery.
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

Not long after I got mine it would stall out occassionally, like it'd run fine for a bit after I started it up but shortly after I'd come up to a stop and once I'd tried to get going again it would die. Since then though, I got a new tune and also had a tune-up done and haven't experienced the problem at all. No clue what was the real culprit.

If the battery was bad, it shouldn't die while it's running. It just won't start.
    Check the battery with a voltmeter (Harbor Freight $10).
    It should read about 12 volts w/o engine running and around 14-15 volts running.
    Or, just about any auto parts store will do this test for you for free.
    Former Marauder Owner

Dustin, looks like its the battery bud. Mine had the same symptoms when it finally kicked. I just picked up a motorcraft battery 850ca for $99.

Brian
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
    FRPP BOSS50 Block w/MMR 900S Stroker 5.3L DOHC 324ci 10:1cr - (321rwhp/360.5rwtq) - Tuned by AED

2006 Ford Mustang GT
    FRPP FR3 Handling Pack|FRPP X Pipe w/GTA Exhaust|Steeda CAI|Hurst Shifter
    (289rwhp/307rwtq)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LQ4 6.0L LT 4WD
    Cognito leveling Kit, Fox 2.0, BFG KOA2 Radial All Terrains, Magnaflow, K&N and 4.10 gears

mine does it every spring on the first run, I suspect the battery is not charged up fully at that point?
    4;10's,JLT RAI,and Lidio's sct live wire,new air freshner,.......and now #153 Trilogy..377 hp and 400 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Big Black Beast View Post
    If the battery was bad, it shouldn't die while it's running. It just won't start.
    Check the battery with a voltmeter (Harbor Freight $10).
    It should read about 12 volts w/o engine running and around 14-15 volts running.
    Or, just about any auto parts store will do this test for you for free.
    I was thinking along the same lines. I had a car years ago that did what yours is doing and it turned out to be a bad alternator. Since the alt. wasn't charging the battery the lites, radio etc would drain the battery giving the illusion of a bad battery. I'd have both the battery and alt checked to be safe. You know if it fails it will be cold, dark and raining. Better safe than sorry.

Change the battery cables and get a new battery. That should solve the problem...

The little light on the battery is green. I'm assuming green means go, er good? I'll go to Autozone tonight and get the battery and alternator checked.

Thanks everyone!
    Dustin

JRed04 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBluGruv View Post
    Not long after I got mine it would stall out occassionally, like it'd run fine for a bit after I started it up but shortly after I'd come up to a stop and once I'd tried to get going again it would die. Since then though, I got a new tune and also had a tune-up done and haven't experienced the problem at all. No clue what was the real culprit.
    In response to the post quoted above, who did the first aftermarket tune on your car? I have The Lidio Tune from Alternative auto and mine just killed on me twice yesterday. This was the first problem since I bought the car in 2004.

In response to the original post, I don't think your problem is the battery. As was mentioned earlier, any car with an alternator and no battery will run as long as the alternator field windings, diode bridge, and voltage reg are good.

The battery is mainly there to provide starting energy and to smooth the DC current ripple output from the alternator which takes AC & makes a sort of "syntetic" DC current. Your alternator sounds like it is ok from the fact that the car started again and ran. That was the case with mine as well. I still haven't resolved the problem BTW so anybody with more info please feel free to post.

In terms of hunting this down, I would consider checking the starter wiring posts & the main distribution hub/splice for loose wires/corrosion.

If the problem isn't there it may be with the ECU, Ignition coil, neutral safety switch, or ignition module. In the coil case it would most likely be the connectors. Otherwise you would probably experience a missfire/stumble condition.

It's also probably not fuel related because a fuel problem would cause a missfire and or detonation/pre-ignition.

Some of our members in the past had symptoms like you mentioned and it ended up being the IAC (Idle air controller) valve. Just type "IAC valve" in the search box. Hopefully thats helps
    Last edited by melfunkshun; 02-08-2010 at 08:24 PM.
    2003 300A
    Build Date: 8/7/02
    Inservice Date: 6/4/03
    Adopted: 7/17/04
    4.10's w/Carbon Clutches (Thanks Chris)
    Lidio 93 Octane Tune
    Curless Cure Done By The Man Himself

JRed04 Guest
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information