Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise

Noise

Brought my Marauder into the shop because I thought there was rear end noise again and the shop had just replace the bearings in the rear end about 2 years ago and I only have about 5000 miles on the car and they told me that there is nothing wrong with the rear end they thought maybe you could b u joints have guys ever heard of that I'

Sent from my SM-J337AZ using Tapatalk

Can you describe the noise and when it occurs?

You can hear it all the time it's from when you step on the gas and know that up on the gas it's a whining noise if your steady about 60 it's not as bad but it's constantly there it sounds like the same noise before I got the rear end on a couple years ago

Bad U-Joints generally make a clunk when shifting from park to drive or reverse,

Yeah I know that's why I thought when the shop said there might be a U-joint I didn't believe them so I'm going to put the new joints in and if it's still there I'm going to bring it back to him cuz it has a free lifetime powertrain warranty

Quote Originally Posted by badass mm View Post
    Brought my Marauder into the shop because I thought there was rear end noise again and the shop had just replace the bearings in the rear end about 2 years ago and I only have about 5000 miles on the car and they told me that there is nothing wrong with the rear end they thought maybe you could b u joints have guys ever heard of that I'

They looked at the rear end but didn't diagnose the noise?!?

Me thinks it's time to find a new shop...

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Yeah they looked at it with a stethoscope and they disconnected the drive shaft and I don't know how they checked it but supposedly the rear end isn't making any noise but I've never heard of you joints making noise like that so like I said I'm going to put them in do you joints and if it still makes the noise it's going back it has a lifetime powertrain warranty on it so they need to fix it

You can hear it all the time it's from when you step on the gas and know that up on the gas it's a whining noise if your steady about 60 it's not as bad but it's constantly there it sounds like the same noise before I got the rear end on a couple years ago

I have installed a 4.10 gears and it's making the same noise u mentioned and it gets more and more noisy, so when i asked other shops they said 4.10 gears are hard to install properly so the noise wont hurt but the sound wont go away, and yes i checked the u joint and it was ok

I just have the stock rear end in there

Quote Originally Posted by M91 View Post
    when i asked other shops they said 4.10 gears are hard to install properly
    First time I've ever heard that.

I don't think there's anything special with 4.10s, but any gear set needs to have the pinion depth and backlash set correctly or it will make noise. If they're done wrong and driven that way for too long, they'll make noise even if they're reset correctly.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    First time I've ever heard that.

I don't think there's anything special with 4.10s, but any gear set needs to have the pinion depth and backlash set correctly or it will make noise. If they're done wrong and driven that way for too long, they'll make noise even if they're reset correctly.
    I dnt have any much knowledge in setting the rear end but i guess i'll stick to it until i find a professional who knows how to set it up Wright, and since you have the stock rear end and you are sure it was installed Wright i dnt have anymore infos to help, but keep us posted with what happens so we know what is it.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by M91 View Post
    I have installed a 4.10 gears and it's making the same noise u mentioned and it gets more and more noisy, so when i asked other shops they said 4.10 gears are hard to install properly so the noise wont hurt but the sound wont go away, and yes i checked the u joint and it was ok

You were informed wrong. Motive brand 4.30’s are hit or miss for slight whine. Even that dates back quite some and I could only imagine it has been addressed.

4.10’s are cake. I did my own with the proper tools except for an inch pound torque wrench for setting the pinion. However I use a solid spacer so no crush washer to worry about. It’s been quiet as can be for 18,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Did you have new axles installed at the time? Were they Motorcraft or similar/better bearings? I’ve heard squeaky u joints before but uber rare. Have someone sit in the back seat to isolate what side it is coming from and start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

10-4 will do

If it makes more noise on deceleration, it could be a carrier bearing.

Take the mechanic for a drive and get it to make noise.
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information