Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad news about my 2004

Sad news about my 2004

Bought a red 2004 in 2006, second owner. No mods. Have enjoyed driving it all these years. Recent front end accident (T-boned a Subaru at low speed) looked like minor damage to front left. Driveable. Insurance company inspector estimated around $3500 to repair. However, body shop says there was a bit more damage apparent once they got the bumper off. And to the point, told me that they have no way to get parts. Next step sounds like inspector returns, declares the car totaled, insurance pays me value of car, and its bye-bye. I am taking this as a message that it is time for me to give up the car, but I hate to think that it goes to parts. Any suggestions for a different outcome?

What is the 'bit more damage'? It might be worth rebuilding. Find it unlikely that parts are flat-out unavailable since it shares a lot of underpinnings with fleet Vics/GMQs.
    Plenty of folks here have bought back totaled cars and rebuilt them. Sure, it's a branded title, but the car lives on.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

I agree with buying it back and using the money to rebuild sourcing your own parts. The buy back is “elevated” scrap worth/guesstimated auction price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Photo of damage. Another reason for me to let it go is that I am 69, and as my father said about his Porsche 911 "I can no longer drive the car at a level of competence it deserves." Financially, I am willing to accept what the insurance company offers for totalling out the car, but I hate to think that it will then go to parts rather than find a new owner who wants to repair/own it. Mark-Marauder-A2.jpg

WTF??? That is NO WHERE NEAR totaled or $3500 in damage... good grief! Don let them total your car over that. Argue, fight, I mean seriously... did the air bags go off? Looks like headlight, marker light, possibly a headlight bucket... some good ole fashioned elbow grease on the bumper and some paint... If you are not concerned with new, I know a guy with parts.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

Airbag did not deploy (low speed accident), no fluid leaks, no wheel being rubbed. BTW, milage is 56,000. Downside is that it has been parked outside since 2006, but no rust, as rarely driven in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidnotMD View Post
    Airbag did not deploy (low speed accident), no fluid leaks, no wheel being rubbed. BTW, milage is 56,000. Downside is that it has been parked outside since 2006, but no rust, as rarely driven in winter.
    NOT Totaled, by a long shot. Get a different quote from another body shop. I'm not saying to find a dumpy place to half azz it, just maybe a place that takes more interest in the car itself.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two

Reach out to Haggis (Gordon), he's in your area and probably knows a shop to help ya out.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two

Absolutely not totaled. Your insurance is completely BS'ing you. Fight them. Hard. You can find aftermarket headlight assembly, left corner light, front bumper and (if needed) header panels on eBay and Amazon. You can use any 03-05 Grand Marquis header panel (not Crown Victoria) if you need it and probably find it at a local yard if not on eBay or Amazon. You are probably looking at $100 for a headlight assembly, $30 to 45 for a corner light assembly, $550 to $650 for an aftermarket front bumper (you may still be able to find an OEM one) and then you will have paint cost. Paint cost will vary depending on location. OEM parts will be more expensive. Probably looking at $2,000 to $2,500 to get it back right (with aftermarket parts).

Here are some links to help you get started:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2003-20...d92424746e9d83

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Mer...MAAOSwZs1ddov7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corner-Ligh...kAAOSwEy1d03qf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-2003-2...YAAOSwY75eAMic

At min. See if anyone here will buy it for the buy it back price if you do not want to mess with it.. buy it back is prolly around $800 or so and don't take insurance first offer. Find other marauders listed for sale with 50-75k miles and see what they are listed for.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by Curless View Post
    Reach out to Haggis (Gordon), he's in your area and probably knows a shop to help ya out.
    Haggis is in Maryland. This guy is outside Boston. I know there are members in the Boston area, but screen names aren't coming to mind.

Factory Reconditioned bumper on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FRONT-B....c100005.m1851
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

I've found that these places get lazy when it comes to finding parts that are still around. For instance, I was looking for a part from the Ford parts counter and he quickly said discontinued obsolete. I made him give me a part number. Went on ebay, and wha la. The clip I was looking for was on ebay. Usually same thing with google, parts voice, Vintage Parts, Greens Sales Company, rear counter, dennis carpenter, etc. Normal places will not bother with the research and searching.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Even if the car is totaled, you can get a salvage title moved back to regular. My brother did it when his 1988 Grand Marquis was totalled a few years ago. He fixed it up, did the extra steps to have it inspected at a Brake and Light inspection station, etc., and brought it back to life and legal to drive on the road.

As Dennis Gage said, "Restore em, don't crush em".

Quote Originally Posted by DavidnotMD View Post
    Photo of damage. Another reason for me to let it go is that I am 69, and as my father said about his Porsche 911 "I can no longer drive the car at a level of competence it deserves." Financially, I am willing to accept what the insurance company offers for totalling out the car, but I hate to think that it will then go to parts rather than find a new owner who wants to repair/own it. Mark-Marauder-A2.jpg
    Wow, that is not much damage at all. My brothers old Grand Marquis had trunk, quarter panel, bumper, tailight bashed in. He found some old shelf stock parts at Green and had to get the rest from Pick N Pull. Back on the road. Seems like yours would be even easier to fix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information