Thread: MV-III Group hand-held radio equipment?

MV-III Group hand-held radio equipment?

For those of use attending MV-III, has anyone thought about having a standard type of hand-held radio and default channel to use? I've been holding off buying a pair of those types of radios and wondered if there was some neat new one out there that has more channels available to avoid channel overcrowding.

I wanted to start this thread now instead of the last minute..

Suggestions?

Cheers!

John

Seems like FRS are pretty much the norm these days for many events. They are cheap enough, have ok range for car to car line of site/convoy type activity. Dont expect to marshall up 60+ Marauders from a 50 square mile area with them.

Quote Originally Posted by shakes_26
    Seems like FRS are pretty much the norm these days for many events.
    Yes, I plan to upgrade my FRS before the trip. I picked up a cheap set from Virgin Mobile more than a year ago -- but they seem to eat batteries and the range is really limited. Any suggestions on a good set??
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

twolow Guest
    I am willing to donate dixie cups and kite string to everyone going. Its the least i could do

Excellent thread!!

I have an old cheepy set.

Upgrade suggestions anyone?

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

I know bassproshops sells a few sets, the moto's always seem to be the best quality. And they have sales like $39/pair also check sportsmans guide, they always have deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder
    Yes, I plan to upgrade my FRS before the trip. I picked up a cheap set from Virgin Mobile more than a year ago -- but they seem to eat batteries and the range is really limited. Any suggestions on a good set??

I stick with Motorola brand Walkie Talkies, I have about 6 of them (FRS). Make sure when you get a radio, that it has the sub channels. I might be bringing up a pair of 500 Mhrz radios.

Donna Guest
    I purchased 2 sets of the Motorola TalkAbout #T5950NI GMRS/FRS Mobile 2 way radio (each set came with 2 radios, a battery charger, belt clip), over a year ago. They are good up to 5 miles. There are some channels that have to be registered in order to use them. I have basically used them for the Siberian Husky Fundraiser Hike that I have coordinated and planned the last few years here in MI (they work great when I had to get a hold of a volunteer that was somewhere out on the hike trial-the trails were 3 miles long and in some woods also). I also use them when doing a car caravan with others when traveling, so we can inform the group of gas/potty breaks, etc, since some cells phones may not work in some areas and those wonderful dead zones you may hit.

Donna
    Last edited by Donna; 07-27-2005 at 09:16 AM.

for MV2 we used the radios and they worked pretty well for communicating among the group. For MV3, we will also be using them but since this is a huge event, the channels are going to be crowded.

I will leave it up to the motor city crew to figure out shich channels we will be using and to let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I purchased 2 sets of the Motorola TalkAbout #T5950NI GMRS/FRS Mobile 2 way radio (each set came with 2 radios, a battery charger, belt clip), over a year ago. They are good up to 5 miles. ...
    Donna
    OK ... Motorola is on the list. How about Uniden GMRS/FRS ???
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyFords
    For those of use attending MV-III, has anyone thought about having a standard type of hand-held radio and default channel to use? I've been holding off buying a pair of those types of radios and wondered if there was some neat new one out there that has more channels available to avoid channel overcrowding.

I wanted to start this thread now instead of the last minute..

Suggestions?

Cheers!

John
    2M Ham rigs are the way to go (50 Watts) but ......

How about we get together a list of attendees, and swap cell phone numbers for the list? We could send 'em to someone by PM and let that person publish the list to interested folks; in the information packet for check-in or by PM..

Strictly confidential, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poore
    2M Ham rigs are the way to go (50 Watts)
    What's a good set of repeaters for MVIII? I've got the Ford ARC programmed for both 2m and 440. Anything standard for Troy area?

Also - how about 446.0125 (PL 210.7) as a simplex? That's enough of a splinter that we might get left alone.

How about a thread for which hams will attend MVIII?

"That's what." - She

Kenny Brown Mercury Marauder 'S' - Kenny Brown Signature Edition #10 of 10
    Silver Birch #126 of 4,453
    Mercury Division, Ford Motor Company, Panther/Marauders #7,221 of 7,839

MercuryMarauder.Net Member #111 (!)

Thread Information