Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still Searching

Still Searching

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum here. I have been looking for a Marauder for a couple of months now, and am becoming a bit frustrated. So far my experience in Northern California (SF Bay Area) is that everyone with a beat to crap daily driver thinks their car is worth show car money.

I have looked at 4 so far.
    #1) Obvious repaired rear end damage, with a wonky aftermarket stereo install that caused the headlights to dim. (Wanted 15k)

#2) Worn out paint, dirty smelly transmission fluid, aftermarket stereo with broken faceplate, and missing window switches in the rear. (Wanted 16k)

#3) Car on a dealer lot. Didn't take the time to prep the car. Filthy engine compartment. Suspect fluids, and worn out interior. (Wanted 15.5k)

#4) 112,000 miles, listed as "accident free," inspection of vehicle showed repaired r/r taillight from where wife backed into a pole. (Presumably on purpose since the vehicle was, "accident free." Could not explain uneven gap between bumper and headlights. (Proper spacing on passenger side, between 1-2 1/2" on driver side, and obvious really poor repaint of front bumper.) Wanted 10k.

So here is the deal. Don't care if it is an 03 or 04. Don't particularly care about the color. Just looking for a well cared for, stock (or mostly cause CA smog laws are very restrictive) with preferably 75K miles or less. (Although I am open to higher if the price/car is right.)

I would certainly prefer a car that is local, but I would be willing to work with someone from out of the area if the car/price were right. (You would need to make it available to an inspection service, which clearly I would pay for.)

I may seem like a bit of a nitpicker, but I am looking for a car I can own long term. (Don't need to explain the logic to the folks around here, you guys get it.)

Feel free to PM. (I have all the finances lined up for a local car. If you are out of the area, it could take a few days to sort out an out of area purchase.)

Thanks
    Chuck

I'm a fellow perfectionist; don't settle for less than what makes you happy! There are still perfect Marauders out there even though the car is almost 10 years old now!

Be aware that bumper sag isn't a unique issue; the gap between my driver side headlight and bumper is a bit larger than the passenger one. And I guarantee mine hasn't hit anything

Good to know about the bumper sag. I have done so much research about this car, I thought I knew most if not all the quirks. Good to learn about that.....

It is also nice to know there is a good community around these cars, because it gives me hope I will find a well taken care of vehicle. I am realistic, I totally understand most cars are no longer perfect, I get that. I don't need perfect, but have had bad luck so far seeing mostly disappointing cars.

....the search continues.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the site!
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
    FRPP BOSS50 Block w/MMR 900S Stroker 5.3L DOHC 324ci 10:1cr - (321rwhp/360.5rwtq) - Tuned by AED

2006 Ford Mustang GT
    FRPP FR3 Handling Pack|FRPP X Pipe w/GTA Exhaust|Steeda CAI|Hurst Shifter
    (289rwhp/307rwtq)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LQ4 6.0L LT 4WD
    Cognito leveling Kit, Fox 2.0, BFG KOA2 Radial All Terrains, Magnaflow, K&N and 4.10 gears

Quote Originally Posted by dohc324ci View Post
    Good luck with your search and welcome to the site!
    Thanks for the well wishes. The people around here seem very helpful, while still a bit frustrated, certainly feel like there is hope.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Welcome to the madness!, theres plenty to choose from with so many up for sale lately, good luck with your search!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Good Morning
    Just keep looking and be patient and you'll find a good one out there. When I started looking I look at X cop cars. Did not see what I liked. Then went to a dealer and saw a MM03 with 102000 miles on it for $10000 looked bad in person. Then came up on my future car an 04 MM with 21500 miles on it it had all the bells and whistles on it that I wanted. At that point I had to convince my wife that we need this car. And that was hard but I am a happy camper. I pulled my 1965 GTO out of the garage and put it in the tent and put the PNTHR in the garage thad her new home. So just be patient there's one out there for you. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340356436.331726.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1340356481.352148.jpg

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?golcdr
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Panther
    From The Farm of The Hackster

64 Corvair 4dr
    64 Corvair Conv
    65 GTO
    77 F250 Camper Special
    92 Noch Back Stang FOR SALE
    93 Buick LeSabre
    01 Wrangler
    04 Marauder DTR

Last edited by SC Cheesehead; 06-22-2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: added stuff

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

That one on Autotrader looks pretty nice, if your looking for a bone stock never been modded example, it even has the valet key.

FWIW,I had to go to Florida to find my MM, I looked for several months, they were all junk or had "issues". I bit the bullet, after finding there was nothing local to me worth a hoot, 1200 miles each way, and I found a smoking example of a Marauder. I bought it off the board from a member, it had a tune, some aftermarket badging, speakers etc., and had 13k on it.

Paid more than book, and it was well worth it. I had good bones to start with, and did my "mods" from there. There are a lot of great cars posted in the FS section of this board, that is where I would recommend looking, if you don't limit yourself to price or distance, you will find what you are looking for.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Good luck. I got mine a couple weeks ago after looking for a month. It will be worth the wait.
    (Sold ) 2003 300A Black/Black.

BC4E dead pedal - JLT intake - Jmod - Rear cat delete - Lowered - MuscleMerc cooling mod - TCE SS brake lines - drill/slotted rotors - red stock calipers - 410s - Badgeless grill - Custom rear badge - JLT oil separator

facebook.com/bradtaylor33

Stick to your guns...don't settle for anything less than your expectations, unless it's relatively minor things (most interior parts are cheap and easy to replace). When you do find/buy YOUR MM, have EATC and LCM fixes done ASAP...several members on this website can do this for a small fraction of the cost compared to taking to dealership and having 'new', but same defective module(s) installed. I know of two members in my state that can do these fixes, but don't know of anyone on the west coast that can. Once you get these taken care of, the options for modifying are endless, so you can definately customize to your taste...I think this is what really makes our group extraordinary.

Expand your search...that's what I did when I couldn't find one within my price range close to my area. I ended up buying one in New Mexico (was living in Charleston, SC at the time). Flew out and drove it back. Was definitely worth it.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    In Memoriam....11-14-13

Rex Weinbender

The best friend a person could have

In Memoriam...05-26-14
    Lillian Kostac

I love you grandma!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IwantmyMMnow! View Post
    Stick to your guns...don't settle for anything less than your expectations, unless it's relatively minor things (most interior parts are cheap and easy to replace). When you do find/buy YOUR MM, have EATC and LCM fixes done ASAP...several members on this website can do this for a small fraction of the cost compared to taking to dealership and having 'new', but same defective module(s) installed. I know of two members in my state that can do these fixes, but don't know of anyone on the west coast that can. Once you get these taken care of, the options for modifying are endless, so you can definately customize to your taste...I think this is what really makes our group extraordinary.

Expand your search...that's what I did when I couldn't find one within my price range close to my area. I ended up buying one in New Mexico (was living in Charleston, SC at the time). Flew out and drove it back. Was definitely worth it.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    This is PNTHR WHAT are EATC and LCM.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vcrc5b
    From The Farm of The Hackster

64 Corvair 4dr
    64 Corvair Conv
    65 GTO
    77 F250 Camper Special
    92 Noch Back Stang FOR SALE
    93 Buick LeSabre
    01 Wrangler
    04 Marauder DTR

Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    This is PNTHR WHAT are EATC and LCM.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vcrc5b
    You would be better off searching 'o-rings' and 'LCM' to get all of the correct information on these issues....I'm merely a messenger. In a nutshell, the o-rings on the EATC will go bad; replace with silicone o-rings. A relay on the LCM will go bad; replace with a beefier external relay. If you can do this yourself, you will spend less than $50 plus your time. If you can't do this yourself (like me), you can have another member do it for you and it'll probably be around $50-100.

Or you can take it to dealership and pay at least $1500 and still have the same issues...
    In Memoriam....11-14-13

Rex Weinbender

The best friend a person could have

In Memoriam...05-26-14
    Lillian Kostac

I love you grandma!!!

I looked for almost a year before I found the blue I wanted, then I had to figure out how to get it home from San Diego.... when I think about it, I went out of state to get all three of the MMs I've had.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I know about the LCM and EACT issues, and will certainly be high on my to do list once I find one. You are also right about having to expand my search area. I was hopinig to stay local, because my CU has a really good rate for in state cars, plus I can avoid shipping costs. With that said, I am begining to think there are much better cars out of the area.

The people around here have been really helpful, and I have actually been contacted by one member already. Really appreciate all the help.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Traffic22; 06-22-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information