Thread: 4:10 gear install instructions

4:10 gear install instructions

Was wondering if anyone could send me step-by-step instructions on changing out the gears. I've been putting it off for far too long due to the cost ($500?) and the wear issues with the axles (300a). Now thanks to a recent thread, I see we can get a bearing kit which relocates the bearings so we don't need to replace the axles. YAY! I have better than average mechanical skills and am very confident I can do this. I'm just a little intimidated.
    I have the Ford gears from Dennis.
    Feel free to PM me and thanx.

Previous owner of...

BLACK '03 300A "Bagheera"
    Ford Racing 4:10's
    Denso Iridium plugs
    JLT Cold Air Intake
    Valentine One Radar Locator w/ remote
    Gods Head Steering wheel badge
    Sylvania Silverstars
    Hitch

The easiest way to do it.

1. Buy the parts
    2. Find someone that works on 8.8 Ford rear ends... usually the Mustang guys know who is good
    3. Make appointment with said person / company
    4. Keep that appointment
    5. Pay the bill for the gear swap / setup
    6. Follow the recommendations for proper break in of the new gears
    7. Get a SCT tuner to correct the speedo.
    8. Play with your new mod!
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

1. Bought the parts
    2. Have a chip
    3. Don't want to pay someone for something I can and want to do myself.
    4. Looking forward to playing with the mod.
    5. Thanks

Previous owner of...

BLACK '03 300A "Bagheera"
    Ford Racing 4:10's
    Denso Iridium plugs
    JLT Cold Air Intake
    Valentine One Radar Locator w/ remote
    Gods Head Steering wheel badge
    Sylvania Silverstars
    Hitch

Unless you've done gear swaps before (don't think you have since you asked how to do them here), don't attempt it. If the pattern isn't right you'll have all kinds of noise back there. I think the cost is between $200.00 & $300.00 and IMHO is worth every penny.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

you have to have to be able to get a really good contact pattern between the pinion and ring otherwise noise will incur as stated above, you have to measure and shim the carrier correctly otherwise you can expect broken gears, if you get the pinion nut to tight and compress the crush washer(one time use) too far then expect premature bearing failure. Its really not hard to do once you know how to do it, but if you dont know how its hard to explain and attempt on your own for your first time. My advice would be go somewhere(cheaper than 500$ sounds like theyre gettin over on you)and ask if you can watch them install it and get a feel for how its done, if theyre cool they might answer any question about tightness and patterns that you may have.

First
    On
    Race
    Day

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existance....

Never hold your farts in, they travel up your spine into your brain, that's where ****ty ideas come from

2003 Mercury Marauder 300A BLACK #2,740 of 7,839-Daily Driver
    JLT, 4.10's, Lidio Tune, PHP Intake Spacer, NGK TR6 Plugs, FlowMaster 40's with second cats deleted, J-MOD, ScanGuageII
    1/8 Mile-9.2
    1997 Cobra-Sold...The car I will always miss
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0-SOLD
    1991 Mustang GT- Stock, kinda... SOLD
    1992 Mustang GT-64,000 Original Miles R.I.P.

I just did this. Read my post, start to finish. It shows pictures of the problems I encountered along the way.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=36358

You will not be able to get the pattern perfect the first time. Expect wasting several days taking it in and out, driving the car, having some noise, etc. It can be done but it will take a lot more than just above average mechanical skills. There is a lot of subjectivity involved getting the pattern right, esp. the first time.

The easy way, is to use the dealer Rotunda pinion depth tool. It must be used with Ford genuine gears only (and FMS). Will not work with motive, richmond, etc. The tool is $1500+ but I got one on ebay for $250. Sorry but I can't loan it out, it's a delicate set of gage blocks. Without this tool, you will have lots of pressing in and out of the pinion ahead of you. You absolutely need a shop press, there is no way around that either.

If you were local I could do the gears for you, but I'm in VA.
    Last edited by Stranger in the Black Sedan; 09-12-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Steve H., Charles County, MD www.carfap.com
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2004 F250, v10 6 speed manual. ex-US Forest Service truck
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

just barrow a dial indicator. That is what I used on mine, along with the bearing kit you mentioned. It really pretty easy, but I have done them before. I did mine on a lift in 1.5 hrs. including the bearing kit. The bearing kit works awsome. If your gonna have it apart you might as well do it regardless. Best of luck. Dial indicator (measures the backlash).
    missing my baby!

You may get lucky and your stock shim is close enough for the new gears (only if you are using genuine Ford or FMS gears), then like sabtaj said its a piece of cake. My stock 0.028" shim was way off. I ended up with an 0.024 shim according to the Rotunda tool, and also according to visually checking the best pattern. For a lot of rears the stock shim should be close though. However, if you are unlucky and you assume the stock shim is fine, and you button the rear up and it whines, you get to take it apart again, and then you have to start trial and error checking pinion depth shims.

All Ford gears theoretically will set up at the same depth, assuming perfect gears. However, gear manufacturing tolerances will yield up to +/- 0.002 deviance from nominal pinion set up depth, according to Ford (I asked). Bearing tolerances should be near perfect, but they are not always. I found around 0.001 deviance from one Koyo high cap to another, in pinion depth. So if you get unlucky and the tolerances do not stack up in your favor, the stock shim may not put the ring and pinion in perfect contact like your factory gears were.
    Last edited by Stranger in the Black Sedan; 09-12-2007 at 02:33 PM.
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Mike, you got some good advice ^^^. It's not an especially difficult job, but it also isn't really the type of job you want to attempt by yourself if you've never done it before, unless you have someone more experienced right there helping you. The right tools are essential, too, as VicsEvilBrother can attest.

Come on down the Cape and we'll "git 'er DONE!" for a lot less than $500.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Unless you've done gear swaps before (don't think you have since you asked how to do them here), don't attempt it. If the pattern isn't right you'll have all kinds of noise back there. I think the cost is between $200.00 & $300.00 and IMHO is worth every penny.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^+2^^^^^^^^^^^ Suggest you purchase a diff. girdle as well and install it when you do the gear swap. Another $200 bucks, but worth it IMO.

SCCH

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

It is worth every penny to have someone set gears up IF THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!! The Ford dealer near me set gears up on my car and they were horrible. Never again will I chance having someone else, who I pay, screw up gears. It was worth the learning curve for peace of mind. Just because the dealer (or any repair shop) has the tools doesn't mean the teach will do a good job. Find someone who has had gears set up near you, who is happy with the work.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Quote Originally Posted by VicsEvilBrother View Post
    It is worth every penny to have someone set gears up IF THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!! The Ford dealer near me set gears up on my car and they were horrible. Never again will I chance having someone else, who I pay, screw up gears. It was worth the learning curve for peace of mind. Just because the dealer (or any repair shop) has the tools doesn't mean the teach will do a good job. Find someone who has had gears set up near you, who is happy with the work.
    VEB,

Yeah, I hear you on that one. I had frdwrnch do mine, and he did a top-notch job. Anyone near the Charlotte, NC area looking for a gear install (or any other MM work for that matter) ought to look him up. He's the only guy (outside of me) that does any work on my Blue.

SCCH

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cheesehead View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^+2^^^^^^^^^^^ Suggest you purchase a diff. girdle as well and install it when you do the gear swap. Another $200 bucks, but worth it IMO.

SCCH
    Yes, the stud girdle & the hardened stud kit from Ford (to replace the bolts for the carrier bearings, usually less than $30.00). Both cheap insurance.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Thread Information