Thread: Kudos to roylpita - Escape Upgrade

Kudos to roylpita - Escape Upgrade

I just finished a big thrash on my '04 DTR - my first modification, I'm no longer a virgin - and here is what I did.

I made the jump to the Escape head unit and the associated Sirius Sat unit. At the same time, I finished the backup camera install that I started several weeks ago.

My main reason for posting is to give great credit to Brian [aka roylpita] for selling me the Sirius Sat kit. He was good to deal with and answered a bunch of questions. His harness was the centerpiece of the whole project and it was well made, fit exactly as Brian said it would, and had enough length in all the right places to let me do the mod exactly as I wanted to.

I tried something different than some have; I ran the wiring out the passenger side. Over the glove box but under the air bag, down the kick panel, and under the pass side door sills. The Sat unit mounts on the pass side bulkhead in the trunk. Sat antenna sits at the back center of the roof.

One thing about the Escape head unit: NOTHING except the AM/FM radio functions worked the first time I tried them. The CD wouldn't read and the SAT wouldn't do anything except search endlessly. I got so mad that I had a 'defective' unit that I sent an eBay message and started the p**sing contest with the seller. On the third try (I had just about given up by this time) the unit magically started reading and playing CDs just fine. Same with the SAT function. This worked perfectly on the second try. Now I will have to message the seller and apologize because everything works fine. My advice - be patient and give the unit some time for whatever reason.

The backup camera was a mixed marriage of a Rydeen MINI Infra-red camera with a Master Tailgaters video rear view mirror. The wiring was tedious to run and protect, but everything worked great from the get-go. Lots of uncertainty due to the foreign-translated manuals, but some common sense got things working OK. Advice: If you don't have some history with auto wiring and troubleshooting, get all this stuff done by a pro.

I'm glad to post some pics if anyone is interested; these upgrades have been done to death by many people here on the Forum so I don't expect too much interest.

The Escape unit is indeed a step up in audio and extra capability, I am glad I did this. It suits my goal of upgrading the car but retaining a stock look.

Public thanks to roylpita - Brian - for being a solid guy to work with. I'm glad to have done business with him.

Keith in Houston
    '04 DTR

Brian is and always been a man in integrity. I have known him since taking delivery of my Merc 13 years ago. He has been the go-to guy for a multitude of hard-to-find items most notably my repro window sticker that he got me 10 years ago. He has a soft spot for Lincoln Mark VII LSC's.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Brian is top notch in my book! He has always been a stand up guy and would love to meet him someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Met Brian at MV3 in Orlando, at Mar-A-Lago, (or whatever the name of the hotel was)...great guy who has helped me out over the years since.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Do you have pics of the head unit installed?
    SEMPER FI From York, Pa

Agreed
    Let's see some photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agreed with you guys.
    Brian is a stand up guy who helps out everyone he can.
    2004 Silver Birch
    Build Date 3/19/04
    Adopted on 10/19/07
    Seq#2102 of 3214
    #681 of 997 SBs
    #154 of 336 SBs with the moonroof
    Thanks Brian
    Member of The 100K Club 11/20/11
    Options-
    moonroof-heated seats-6-disc changer-trunk organizer-rear spoiler-mercury all weather mats
    Mods-Extras-Bling-
    Action Automotive-SS Inserts
    Auto Meter 4327 Oil Pressure Gauge
    Badgeless Grille(Thanks 03 Merc)
    Big Mike's Performance-"Sto n Sho" License Plate Holder
    Dead Pedal(Thanks lji372)
    Curless's Pedal Gear Repair
    Cruzer's-Arm Rest
    EATC Ungrade(Thanks JACook)
    Escape/Audiophile Radio Upgrade(Thanks shodude)
    Ford Racing M-7195-AOD Aluminum Trans Pan
    Innovative Interceptors-God's Head Valve Stem Covers
    J-Mod Valve Body
    K&N Performance Intake Kit{CAI}
    LCM Upgrade(Thanks Fastblackmerc)
    Marty-O Fender Badges, Tune & 4:10s
    Panther Lights HID Headlights
    Pro-gard Skid Plate
    Rear Cooling Head Mod
    Visteon Sirius Satellite Radio Setup(Thanks RoyLita)
    Weather Tech-Side Window Deflectors

Escape upgrade

Any idea how many preamps & voltage on pre amps ? The Sirius is a sweet addition.
    Last edited by burt ragio; 04-01-2018 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Yes
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

pics by popular demand

Sgt Merc and 510paesan,

Here are some pics. I love the stock look of the head unit - it meets my goals for the car, which is to keep mods low-key and discreet. And it works / sounds great, definitely an improvement over the OEM.

Glad to answer any questions, fire away. Lots of info on these upgrades in this forum for sure. My way is likely one of many.

Photo 2 shows the Visteon Sirius Unit mounted on passenger side trunk bulkhead. Lots of wire protection shown. When the trunk mats are put back, all this disappears.

The grommet in photo 3 is unfinished. It shows the sat antenna wire running through a groove cut in the grommet. I used a 1/2 inch hole / grommet to get the Sat Plug through. Later I put a rubber plug on top of the grommet and 'glued' it over the grommet with silicone caulk for a nice clean look at this location. The hole is located as shown because there is an access hole in the two-layer sheet metal right under the grommet.

Keith in Houston
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information