Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modified FPDM vs Stock FPDM

Speaking of transparency, I'm all for open and constructive discussion about the strengths and weakness of a vendors product, but if you two guys are just gonna piss at each other, please take it off the board.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Just an FYI....

Got RacerX's OK to start modifying the FPDMs.

Parts are ordered. Will post when parts are here and I've modded and tested the two FPDMs I have.
    This is great news!
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Enough of this. I really don't like this. TBoner, how's this?
    You run that 306 for two months, drive the car like normal.
    If it doesn't fail, I'll paypal you the $150. Deal? I
    put it out here for everyone to see.
    No messaging or texting behind closed doors.
    Full transparency. Like the government
    I tried to keep it civil Bill. Then you got nasty with your juvenile name change of mine.

Whether it was the resistor or the capacitor or whatever "secret" parts you put in the thing, you admitted to me at the time that you thought you got some bad parts and would ship me a new one. Never happened. Then you said you sent it to the wrong address and would ship out another one. Again, never happened. Then you disappear for nearly 2 years only to magically reappear to start making excuses.

Say what you want about me, but I am a man of my word. You apparently are not.

I did admit earlier here that the Aeromotive I was running may have been the culprit.
    Last edited by tbone; 09-21-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    I had 2 upgraded FPDM's from the above referenced source and they both crapped out in under 1000 miles. The parts may not be the best.....or something. Aeromotive 340 too much?

Black306 doing fine so far. Also switched back to GT40 pump and Kenne Belle BAP at mid voltage peak setting. 30 amp relay. Stock wiring works just fine.
    I read that the Walbro GSS342 (340) does require upgraded wiring as well so I will make the upgrade.

I read that the Walbro GSS342 (340) does require upgraded wiring as well so I will make the upgrade.

Definitely wanna upgrade your wiring or you will burn a few things up fast. I run two Aeromotive 340 pumps with two stock fpdm's and a BAP all upgraded wiring. You need to get the racetronix universal bulkhead harness. That will allow you 4 wires in tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 300A Black MM
    Quote Originally Posted by magindat View Post
    Modding a Marauder is a classy, time taking experience - like sipping fine aged spirits. It's meant to take your time, savor, and enjoy!!!!
    FRPP ALUMINATOR MOTOR 10:1
    BC AUTOMOTIVE TRANNY 2800 STALL
    TRILOGY S/C WITH POSI PERFORMANCE PORT
    STAINLESS WORKS LT HEADERS
    METCO REAR CONTROL ARMS AND WATTS LINK
    ADDCO FRONT & REAR SWAY BAR
    MONROE HD QUICK STRUTS FRONT
    QA1 ADJUSTABLE REAR SHOCKS
    EATON LIMTED SLIP DIFF:FORD RACING 4.10'S
    DUAL AEROMOTIVE 340LPH PUMPS, 40AMP BAP, WITH DUAL FPDM'S
    ZACKS BIG BRAKE SWAP w/ TCE SS LINES
    SCANGAUGE MONITORING....^....^....^
    ALL SECURIED WITH A VIPER SECURITY SYSTEM REMOTELY STARTED BY MY VIPER IPHONE APP

Quote Originally Posted by NATEHAWK View Post
    Definitely wanna upgrade your wiring or you will burn a few things up fast. I run two Aeromotive 340 pumps with two stock fpdm's and a BAP all upgraded wiring. You need to get the racetronix universal bulkhead harness. That will allow you 4 wires in tank.

Scroll down to page 13 on the attached link of Kenne Bell tech info.

It says in the table what the flow characteristics of the Walbro 340 are with their BAP and then that their BAP is N/R (not recommended) with the Aeromotive 340. It says no wiring upgrade is required with the Walbro 340 IN THE TABLE. It lists the Walbro flow characteristics with their BAP as if it is perfectly acceptable with stock wiring.

Then below THAT it says the Walbro also needs the wiring upgrade.

Yes, no, maybe, idk.

http://kennebell.net/wp-content/uplo...ump-Tech-1.pdf

*The Kenne Bell BOOST-A-PUMP® works with all the above listed OEM pumps and wiring. No expensive re-wiring billet hats, rewiring
    or plumbing is necessary. Pumps shown with N/R are “Not Recommended.”
    WARNING (Amperage)
    The Walbro and Aeromotive pumps used in either single or dual applications obviously produce more flow than stock pumps - BUT
    AMPERAGE IS MUCH HIGHER. Example: Up to 73% 14.2-17.2 vs 9.9 amps (Walbro GSS340). Therefore, the stock wiring
    system is incapable of handling the increased loads and must be upgraded or replaced. This higher pump amperage negates using
    the BOOST-A-PUMP™ and it’s 17.5-21V advantage. The BOOST-A-PUMP™ is not designed to operate these high amp
    aftermarket pumps. Check out the flow numbers and cost of the 2 approaches. You will see that it is difficult to beat the cost o
    Last edited by tbone; 09-21-2018 at 05:29 PM.

I will also say that I turned OFF the BAP when I was running the Aeromotive 340 for the last couple years.

Everyone at the time was singing the praises of the Aeromotive pump. There was some chatter about wiring upgrades but some members with a LOT of experience said it was not necessary.
    No disclaimers about pump upgrades, wiring upgrades or not combined with modded FPDM's were ever made. If you produce and sell a product for profit then you need to be very specific in its applications and limitations.

So there it is.
    Last edited by tbone; 09-21-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Or maybe they are talking only about these 2 Walbro's listed in the table under N/R. (Not Recommended)

Walbro F9000262
    Walbro F9000267
    Last edited by tbone; 09-21-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    if you two guys are just gonna piss at each other, please take it off the board.
    I did admit earlier here that the Aeromotive I was running may have been the culprit.
    Interesting!

IBTL!!!

Tom, I've been quietly advocating for you to do a wiring upgrade for a while now. It's really easy.

There's a grommet on the PS firewall. Send a 8awg through it, place a 40amp fuse 1 foot away from the power block, route the wire to the trunk, put a relay inline, tap the white wire off the inertia switch and your done...….

Scroll down to page 13 on the attached link of Kenne Bell tech info.

It says in the table what the flow characteristics of the Walbro 340 are with their BAP and then that their BAP is N/R (not recommended) with the Aeromotive 340. It says no wiring upgrade is required with the Walbro 340 IN THE TABLE. It lists the Walbro flow characteristics with their BAP as if it is perfectly acceptable with stock wiring.

Then below THAT it says the Walbro also needs the wiring upgrade.

Yes, no, maybe, idk.

http://kennebell.net/wp-content/uplo...ump-Tech-1.pdf

*The Kenne Bell BOOST-A-PUMP works with all the above listed OEM pumps and wiring. No expensive re-wiring billet hats, rewiring
    or plumbing is necessary. Pumps shown with N/R are “Not Recommended.”
    WARNING (Amperage)
    The Walbro and Aeromotive pumps used in either single or dual applications obviously produce more flow than stock pumps - BUT
    AMPERAGE IS MUCH HIGHER. Example: Up to 73% 14.2-17.2 vs 9.9 amps (Walbro GSS340). Therefore, the stock wiring
    system is incapable of handling the increased loads and must be upgraded or replaced. This higher pump amperage negates using
    the BOOST-A-PUMP and it’s 17.5-21V advantage. The BOOST-A-PUMP is not designed to operate these high amp
    aftermarket pumps. Check out the flow numbers and cost of the 2 approaches. You will see that it is difficult to beat the cost o

Its not recommended b/c this table assumes you're using "OEM" wiring. And with the amps & flow rate the Aeromotive pumps will pull with the BAP they do not recommend it. Now once you upgrade the wiring and add in a relay you're now allowing your fuel system to handle a greater load. This is why it's so pertinent to do the full wiring upgrade. Now helping the system out even more is adding the second OEM FPDM. That splits the draw of two pumps controlled by one FPDM. You can't go wrong this way. Going two modded FPDM's helps even further.

Last edited by NATEHAWK; 09-22-2018 at 01:40 AM.

2003 300A Black MM
    Modding a Marauder is a classy, time taking experience - like sipping fine aged spirits. It's meant to take your time, savor, and enjoy!!!!
    ALL SECURIED WITH A VIPER SECURITY SYSTEM REMOTELY STARTED BY MY VIPER IPHONE APP

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Tom, I've been quietly advocating for you to do a wiring upgrade for a while now. It's really easy.

There's a grommet on the PS firewall. Send a 8awg through it, place a 40amp fuse 1 foot away from the power block, route the wire to the trunk, put a relay inline, tap the white wire off the inertia switch and your done...….

What he said for the win.....

2003 300A Black MM

I have the wiring on order.

Tom, you have my number. If you run into any issues give me a call.

I wanted to add this info from Derek at Black306.com. I'm in no way trying to start any kind of debate, just passing on the info he gave me. He did give me permission to post this. See below:

This topic has been debated since the ‘03 Cobra came out with twin pumps and a single FPDM. 😀 The end-goal was to supply the electrical demands of upgraded pumps. Competing solutions were to either modify a single FPDM to handle the additional current or separate the pumps (load) and have each powered by a stock FPDM.

Some people prefer a modified FPDM since it cuts down on the number of fuel system components. Others prefer a dual FPDM conversion since that is what ford did with the Ford GT and GT500.

Either method will work. The only time I would recommend a dual FPDM over a modified FPDM is when the limits of a modified FPDM are reached. A popular example is the combo of 340 pumps and a BAP. A modified FPDM can handle 340 pumps alone. However, the addition of a BAP has the potential to run too much current through the FPDM.

Thanks,
    Derek
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information