Thread: Ford Warranty and modifications policy

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)

Ford Warranty and modifications policy

Found this posted elsewhere. Thought some might find it interesting

Ford Warranty Coverage

Corporate Ford contact: Ryan Smith at (313) 322-1785 or email at rsmit291@ford.com.

Modifications must be compliance with warranty policy section 3-17. Ask your Ford dealer for a copy. This policy generally specifies that modifications must be in compliance with both State and Federal regulations. According to Ford "The installation/use of any non-Ford product will not necessarily void the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty. If, however, the non-Ford product fails or causes a Ford part to fail, the cost of the repair and any related damage are not covered by the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty." Ford also states that "The vehicle owner would need to look to the manufacturer or installer of the non-Ford product for repairs, not to Ford."

The new vehicle warranty does not cover damage caused by:

• Alteration or modification of the vehicle including body, chassis or components after the vehicle leaves Ford Motor Company's control. (Lift Kits, Oversized Tires, Roll Bars etc.)

• Misuse - such as driving over curbs, overloading, hauling in excess of G.V.W., racing or using the vehicle as a stationary power source.

• Tampering with emissions systems or with other parts that affect these systems. These would include power chips, exhaust and intake systems.

If you have questions, please contact Ryan Smith at Ford Motor Company Corporate (313) 322-1785 or email at rsmit291@ford.com.

Ya think?

I remember from my warranty auditor days with GM, that serious warranty claims will call for an examination of the overall car. Didn't have chips back then, but we did have a lot of towing going on. Lacking an SUV and vans not really popular yet, your average family of two adults and 3 kids moved around in the sedan or station wagon, often "towing the boat (and their lives for one week) up to the cottage" on vacation. Tranny issues numero uno, some motor stuff, and a lot of brake issues, when the capacity appeared overloaded. Time to look at the whole car and it's application, not just the failed parts.

It did come down to "use vs. abuse", and today I think it would include covering "tamper vs. tune." FMC/LM is for cutting costs everywhere they can, and Dealers want/need the back shop business without caring who pays the bill. Leave your chip in place at the dealer, or not, the engine will tell it's story to the forensic tech.

Again, my best advice, is to stack the deck in your favor as best you can. Keep your relationship with the Dealer/SM running as smooth as possible. Be reasonable, be truthful, and then cross your fingers. Remember, you whole car is a crime scene when the repair bill gets high enough.

That pretty much hit the old nail on the head! My dealer won't touch it with a 10' pole but, that my problem. Most of what I've run into is the selling dealer who just does not understand the car. The Ford dealer who is an SVT dealer does not have a issue with any changes to the car. (within reason).
    Confused and playing the game for now.
    Big Dog
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Thread Information