Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury Dealer Suckage: I finally "get" it

Mercury Dealer Suckage: I finally "get" it

My last visit to my dealer, I finally understood why Mercury is not the brand to sell performance cars, or for that matter, "sporty" cars to younger buyers. I am an informed owner, and want my car serviced right, and preferably by my dealer. I make a good income, can afford the car, and will pay for good work. I do little or none of my own maintenance.

My dealer's service department treats me like I am an annoyance at best, and a waste of their time at worst. The way I figure it, Marauders are history in their eyes, the real money is those aging customers sitting in the lounge watching Judge Judy, drinking complementary cups of coffee, and farting into the cushions on their sofas. These are the people that the dealership sells unnecessary services to, the ones who pay $300 for service you and I could do ourselves for less than $50 in parts. The service writer or manager goes in and tells them they need this or that, and they just roll over and say please don't break it off in me too hard this time. Theys too much money in servicing GM's and Town Cars. Folks like us are too much a PIA and, worse, ask questions.

I don't doubt there are dealers out there that appreciate the Marauder (and Team Ford isn't really all that far away...), but based on the two dealers here in Birmingham and their attitudes about our beloved cars, I would say the basic culture of Mercury dealers is towards selling and maintaining cars for older types with no interest in performance, with certain dealers exceptions.

What really chaps my butt is they have a willing, dollar spending, not fixed income BUYER that they could have as a loyal customer for years, but this off attitude of thiers makes me never want to spend a dime there again.

I agree

Donny, I believe I am finally going to have to admit you are right--I've been driving Mercury's exclusively since 1953 and I have never seen such a change of attitude as I am seing now. The $ 200 15,000 mile check is "the thing" now. My dealer KNOWS that I adhere to warranty REQUIRED maint. only--if I need something else, I ask for it--my 20,000 mi check cost me $28.50 and i fully complied with warranty--read the service book carefully---very few things are mandatory for warranty--just the important ones---tranny fluid, anti-freeze--oil & filter--all other---front end--injector cleaning---frequent fuel filter (93 octane doesn't usually have too many impurities)--"tune ups" ?????'--spark plugs (100,000)---ignition wires--etc are . We pay close attention to our cars and demand precision service by properly trained techs to our preventative maint needs.. The penny pinchers just can't stand that. IMHO
    2003 MM 300B Black
    Born 11/12/02 Adopted 3/29/03
    "SHADOW"
    Hood Ornament

Amen to that!

Donny you are right on the money!
    It's sad Mercury can't get it right....
    only wish they could.

Gotta Love It!
    "Best of Show"
    MARAUDERVILLE IV
    ORLANDO, FL
    11/11/06

Member #1031
    Brand New 2003 "Black over Black" 300B
    Conceived 2/25/03
    Born 3/21/03.. "7002 of 7838"
    Home 5/26/03 showing 19 miles!

TRILOGY (Eaton M-112) Supercharger #152
    ALTERNATIVE Automotive (Xcal-2) TUNE
    K&N AirCharger... Part No. 63-1111
    FLOWMASTER Super 40's with stock Megs tips
    FoMoCo OEM Rear Spoiler/Black Titanium SS inserts
    FORD GT Coil Covers (Ford Blue)
    FormulaONE Window Tint "Pinnacle Series-35"
    METCO DS/Loop

1972 Buick Skylark 350 Hardtop Sport Coupe
    Antique Gold with Dark Saddle Vinyl interior
    "Last of the original Muscle Cars" bought NEW(7/5/72)
    and still kickin' ass!

The sad part of all of this is commision and flat rate labor. I'm not saying what is going on is right, it's not, but in the service advisor's eyes or tech's mind it is the only way they can make decent money. If both techs and advisors were on a salary pay none of this would happen. Techs only make money on "upselling", and so do advisors. Your local shop usually pays it's techs off of a time card like the rest of us so if they do only an oil change versus doing an oil change, air filter and fuel filter they are still paid the same.

With the economy in the toilet shops are slow and unfortunately to make up for lost money they're upselling you the customer like crazy.

As for quality of work or a caring attitude that is up to the dealership. Someone needs to step in and adjust attitudes a little. No matter what you drive they should still treat you like they'd like to be treated. I've seen all kinds of advisors, and I know they have a crappy job dealing with whiners to people who care about their cars to the people who want everything free but still they need to keep an open mind to everyone.

Sad to say this is the nature of things now and like it's been said before all you need to do is stop at another nearby dealer and the whole world is different.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Built on 6/20/2002
    #1777 of 7839

mad man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny Carlson
    My last visit to my dealer, I finally understood why Mercury is not the brand to sell performance cars, or for that matter, "sporty" cars to younger buyers. I am an informed owner, and want my car serviced right, and preferably by my dealer. I make a good income, can afford the car, and will pay for good work. I do little or none of my own maintenance.

My dealer's service department treats me like I am an annoyance at best, and a waste of their time at worst. The way I figure it, Marauders are history in their eyes, the real money is those aging customers sitting in the lounge watching Judge Judy, drinking complementary cups of coffee, and farting into the cushions on their sofas. These are the people that the dealership sells unnecessary services to, the ones who pay $300 for service you and I could do ourselves for less than $50 in parts. The service writer or manager goes in and tells them they need this or that, and they just roll over and say please don't break it off in me too hard this time. Theys too much money in servicing GM's and Town Cars. Folks like us are too much a PIA and, worse, ask questions.

I don't doubt there are dealers out there that appreciate the Marauder (and Team Ford isn't really all that far away...), but based on the two dealers here in Birmingham and their attitudes about our beloved cars, I would say the basic culture of Mercury dealers is towards selling and maintaining cars for older types with no interest in performance, with certain dealers exceptions.

What really chaps my butt is they have a willing, dollar spending, not fixed income BUYER that they could have as a loyal customer for years, but this off attitude of thiers makes me never want to spend a dime there again.
    Talk about sucking . I made my mind up to up grade my marauder by trading it in for a silver 04. Well i found one not far away and test drove it.It was loaded factory moon roof and all .After 5 days of thinking about it i went to pick it up saturday. This was after talking to them friday .Thay said the car would be ready the next morning for delivery.Well got to the dealer and first the saleman can't find the car. And after helping him look we find it across the street with the used cars. Someone at the dealer ship hide the car because it had 2 nice dents in the roof and it was dirty. Well seeing that i had to say no to there deal X plan $32.300.And thay had the balls to offer it to me with the dent's for 150.00 less .

That ranks pretty high for bad business. Just a little honesty would be nice.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Built on 6/20/2002
    #1777 of 7839

GEEZ!!!!!

Mark McQuaide Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny Carlson
    My dealer's service department treats me like I am an annoyance at best, and a waste of their time at worst.
    Ditto here on the dealer suckage (Winner F/L/M, Newark, DE). I couldn't have said it better.

Sorry to hear about dealers that leave a bad taste in your mouths. I have only high praise for my dealer and his service dept. Of course, my dealer is in a small town, so he goes the "extra" mile whereas the mega-stores with a sales staff larger than most 3rd world armies, will feed you to the sharks. The owner of my dealership had a talk with me about his '03 Mercury sales(he is a Ford dealer as well) He only sold 5 mercurys last year, 3 GM's one mountaineer, and my MM. I guess my car was the highest sticker of any of his sales, and I got a hell of a deal on it Sometimes bigger is not better

Well Fellaz, welcome to the world of FMC service departments and dealerships. Most of them I've been to in my 12 years of driving, suck donkey d--k. Even a dealer I found to be decent lately will not replace my water filled headlamp ass'y. "Ford says they need to be filled w/ 50% water before replacement," I was told. Then they couldn't align my front end because of what they called "aftermarket" wheels. "Oh, you mean my stock 18" rims?" I replied. My last visit to the dealership for warranty left me feeling very mad. Normally, this dealer is great, but I wasn't to happy to leave with 2 fishbowls for headlamps and a car that pulls right. I guess I have to pay for an alignment, that's what they told me. Yeah, if your upset about your service from Ford, you can always talk to the customer service line. Your call will result in some foreigner what can't speak english telling you they will "forward your complaint to the dealer" and nothing more. I have a friend who bought a problem ridden Bonneville SSEi and GM has been very nice in handling all his problems. The GM factory rep even met with him. Ford says "No customer contact with reps." A sticker price of 34,825 and we don't even get a free reach around or a kiss. (sorry, but just my 2 cents worth)

Eric
    "Everyone's a winner at the ATM!"

2003 Mercury Marauder 300A: 25k (new to me 10-25-08)
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A: 6k (purchased new on 12-8-03 sold on 7-30-04)

09 Chevy Impala. Company fleet issued turd

Mercman, what dealership do you go to? Because the one by me, Tom Roush L/M, in Westfield (north suburb of Indy) sucks. They are exactly like Donny described it. This is why I do all my own maintenance.
    2003 Marauder 300A built 10/15/02 CD changer/ storage organizer
    2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
    2000 Honda Accord EX V6
    1989 Turbo Trans AM GTA Intercooled 3.8 V6 (20th anniv. pace car #197 of 1555) 1,400 original miles

Scared now

Now you've scared the ***** out of me. I've always been loyal to GM and Chevrolet but after seeing the Maruauder, just had to have one.

I'm hoping my dealer experience is better because nothing pisses me off more than an attitude after forking over 31K for a car.

Quote Originally Posted by tta197
    Mercman, what dealership do you go to? Because the one by me, Tom Roush L/M, in Westfield (north suburb of Indy) sucks. They are exactly like Donny described it. This is why I do all my own maintenance.
    Tipton Ford/Mercury let me know I will hook you up. They will take great care of you. They wash it every time as well

Donny, thanks for making this point, and for the others who agreed. Now, I don't want to get on a rant, here, but this much I know is true: some members have been blessed with being near good dealers. The rest of us feel like lepers at times. I'd love to see a poll of how many have a nearby dealer who treats you with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jstevens
    Now you've scared the ***** out of me. I've always been loyal to GM and Chevrolet but after seeing the Maruauder, just had to have one.

I'm hoping my dealer experience is better because nothing pisses me off more than an attitude after forking over 31K for a car.
    Best of luck!

Cool

Well I guess I better balance the scales a bit here. I've got nothing but good things to say about Dave Sinclair South County L-M here in STL. They've done well by me and for me, and I've got no complaints. I even helped 'em sell a car once, by using mine for a test drive. The West County store, from what I understand, isn't too bad either. I guess I'm pretty lucky; Sinclair's pretty much got the monopoly in the STL and surrounding areas, and they could be real buttholes about service if they wanted to because there's nowhere else for me, LML, STLThunder, and 93tealcobra to go if we need warranty work done. But they're not, and I'm glad. Getting ready to go in for another oil change at 15k, and get my squeaky driver's seat and binding HVAC fixed; I've got plenty of faith that they will be.

It helps to build a bit of dealer rapport. Being a service writer must really suck; I watched one guy, a well-turned-out individual, obviously somebody's high-powered executive type, blow a head gasket at the service desk one day, all because his damn Navigator wasn't washed as part of an oil change. The writer tried to explain to him that such things aren't included, but he wasn't listening...I've stood behind a desk or two in my time. Customers like that tend to foul up your whole day. Saw the truck sitting outside in customer parking; looked like it had already come from the wash, and a $150 detail job too.

Felt bad for the writer. Wanted to knife the exec's tires.

First time I went in to the dealer, I had my coupon for a free oil change in hand, but it had been written by the dealer in Daytona Beach. Sinclair didn't want to honor it at first; but with some (admittedly tense) conversation, and a phone call to Daytona, they did anyway and that one act showed me that they were some good folks. Haven't had any problems since. They know me and the car on sight now, and I usually get great service.

Hope this does what I originally set it out to do. I don't disagree that there's some dealers out there that don't know or understand the Marauder platform, and don't care that they don't either. But I think the responsibility is gonna rest with us to educate them. Be patient; sometimes these guys aren't too swift. But they'll come around eventually.
    Traveling the world on PONTIAC power!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information