Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Bad A$$ Gun

1 Bad A$$ Gun

Today, I shot a 50 caliber Smith and Wesson REVOLVER! I don't know the model but it is the one with the 4' barrel.

All I can say is OH MY GAWD!!!

I have never fired a gun with more kick that this thing had. I was using as solid as a two handed grip as I could muster and I was still worrying about getting a broken nose.

I shot all 5 shots. By the thrid short the pattern of the grip was imprinted on my hand. Most guys who shot the thing stopped at 3 shots but when I saw that my first three shots were in the 9 ring of the silhouette I got motivated to put another 2 out.

What an experience I had today. Nothing but shooting, shooting, shooting. I started out yesterday by buying a precharged pneumatic pro grade Air Force Air Gun, .177 caliber.

I went to where my friend works, a local gun shop and shooting range, where they were having an S&W day. I spent some time sighting in my scope and then went up and shot the S&W. I shot 3 or 4 but the two I remember were the 9mm and the 50 cal. I actually did pretty good for my first time out with handguns. With the exception ofthe 50 cal all of my shots were within a 2" grouping and in the center mass.

Anyhow, I figured I woud let you guys know about the 50 cal since we were talking about it lately.

Best,

Dan

yup,... a .50 cal pistol is pretty bad a$$. You ever fire the Desert Eagle .50 Magnum? that thing hurts!
    Last edited by Petrograde; 10-25-2006 at 02:17 PM.

Before today I hadn't even seen a 50 cal.

The S&W was pretty close to hurting, too.

Here you go!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003A Black
    Really nice floor mats
    2005 Gold Wing, Really YELLOW

hitchhiker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Today, I shot a 50 caliber Smith and Wesson REVOLVER! I don't know the model but it is the one with the 4' barrel.

All I can say is OH MY GAWD!!!

I have never fired a gun with more kick that this thing had. I was using as solid as a two handed grip as I could muster and I was still worrying about getting a broken nose.

I shot all 5 shots. By the thrid short the pattern of the grip was imprinted on my hand. Most guys who shot the thing stopped at 3 shots but when I saw that my first three shots were in the 9 ring of the silhouette I got motivated to put another 2 out.

What an experience I had today. Nothing but shooting, shooting, shooting. I started out yesterday by buying a precharged pneumatic pro grade Air Force Air Gun, .177 caliber.

I went to where my friend works, a local gun shop and shooting range, where they were having an S&W day. I spent some time sighting in my scope and then went up and shot the S&W. I shot 3 or 4 but the two I remember were the 9mm and the 50 cal. I actually did pretty good for my first time out with handguns. With the exception ofthe 50 cal all of my shots were within a 2" grouping and in the center mass.

Anyhow, I figured I woud let you guys know about the 50 cal since we were talking about it lately.

Best,

Dan
    Nice gun. I consider my 357 Mag. adequate.

Best Regards,

David

Nice!!! The caliber is called S&W .500 and it's much more powerful than the the caliber that the Dessert Eagle fires, which is 50AE. Ofcourse neither one are anything like the 50 BMG caliber, but that's strictly for rifles,and very heavy ones at that. there would be no way that you can fire the 50 BMG round out of a handgun. Your hand would be broken, and that's assuming that you would even be able to build a handgun that wouldn't blow up in your face from the 50 BMG round.

Anyway, that must have been quite an experience shooting the S&W .500 caliber!!!!

I have not shot a .500 S&W, but I have shot a friend's .454 Casull. That think is down right nasty also. The shock wave coming off it was amazing with his hot reloads.
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by rayjay
    I have not shot a .500 S&W, but I have shot a friend's .454 Casull. That think is down right nasty also. The shock wave coming off it was amazing with his hot reloads.
    Yep, another heavy handgun round. The 454 Casull is also made for hunting w/a handgun and would take down Elk, or even Moose. I have a 454 Casull revolver. It's fun to shoot. The Ammo is $1 per round if you don't reload. I'm sur that .500 S&W ammo is atleast $3-$4 per round if not more because that's what the .475 Linebaugh ammo is (another hefty hunting round).

Quote Originally Posted by Petrograde
    yup,... a .50 cal pistol is pretty bad a$$. You ever fire the Desert Eagle .50 Magnum? that thing hurts!
    That caliber is the 50AE which isn't anymore potent than the 44 mag (if even as potent), so I can't help but to suspect that if firing the Dessert Eagle chambered for that caliber is painfull, then it must have something to do w/how big the handgrip is on that gun. It's really made for guys w/really big hands. So I'm sure that adds to the discomfort of shooting it in 50AE.

A pic of the 454 among others......
    Last edited by BillyGman; 08-09-2006 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    That caliber is the 50AE which isn't anymore potent than the 44 mag (if even as potent), so I can't help but to suspect that if firing the Dessert Eagle chambered for that caliber is painfull, then it must have something to do w/how big the handgrip is on that gun. It's really made for guys w/really big hands. So I'm sure that adds to the discomfort of shooting it in 50AE.
    .44 Mag 300 gr. max load (34,800C) CUP/psi 1300 fps
    .50 AE 325 gr. max load (32,000p) CUP/psi 1300 fps

As you can see, the AE is throwing a heavier bullet at the same velocity which will equate to more recoil.

"Pressures are held slightly lower than the .44 Magnum. Performance is just about intermediate between the .44 Magnum and the .454 Casull. With about 28 percent more frontal area than than a .45, no doubt, the .50 AE can generate considerable impact trauma."
    -Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    3RD Edition

U.S.M.C 1988-1992

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Here is a pic comparing the .50 S&W round to other handgun rounds.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus
    .44 Mag 300 gr. max load (34,800C) CUP/psi 1300 fps
    .50 AE 325 gr. max load (32,000p) CUP/psi 1300 fps

As you can see, the AE is throwing a heavier bullet at the same velocity which will equate to more recoil.

"Pressures are held slightly lower than the .44 Magnum. Performance is just about intermediate between the .44 Magnum and the .454 Casull. With about 28 percent more frontal area than than a .45, no doubt, the .50 AE can generate considerable impact trauma."
    -Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    3RD Edition
    You're equations are inaccurate due to one factor that you've completely left out. Ft/Lbs of energy at the muzzle for each round. The 44 magnum is the same as a 454 Casull you say? No way!!! That's just plain wrong. I don't mean to offend you Brutus, but that just isn't even close to being true. I have a 44 mag revolver and a 454 casull revolver and they're completely different. I didn't notice what state you live in if you've listed it, but if you're anywhere close to me, then I sincerely welcome you to write to me, and we can meet at a puiblic shooting range where I'll let you shoot my 44 magnum revolver, and then my 454 Casull, and after firing just one round out of it you'll immediately feel what a difference in recoil there is. It's a very significant difference.

It's the ft/lbs of energy that determine the felt recoil, and NOT the cup pressures. The cup pressures are used for the safe reloading of the rounds so that you won't blow up the gun that's being used to fire them, but there are a lot of variables that determine cup pressure. Just because the cup pressure of one round is less than that of another does NOT neccessarily mean that the lower cup pressured round has less muzzle energy, or less felt recoil. Below is a comparisant of the rounds as far as muzzle energy and that's what gives you a good idea of the felt recoil:

45 auto round 250 gr. bullet- muzzle energy- 420 ft./Lbs.

.44 magnum round 240 gr bullet- muzzle energy- 780 ft./Lbs

454 casull round 240 grain bullet- muzzle energy- 1,689 ft./Lbs

as you can see, they're not even close my friend.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 07-19-2004 at 11:58 AM.

Billy, please read my post again. I quoted a reloading manual and my point was simply this......The .50 AE is in between the .44 Mag and the .454 Casull. Muzzle energy is determined by bullet weight, Ballistic coeficient of the bullet and muzzle velocity, which when all is said and done would support my claim, that the .50 AE is more powerful than a .44 Mag and less powerful than a .454 Casull.

U.S.M.C 1988-1992

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Okay Brutus. Yes, I did misunderstand your point. Thanks for the correction on that my friend. As far as the 44 mag and the 50 AE comparisant though, you have my curiosity and I'm going to look up what the muzzle energy of each round is later on cuz I believe they're very close w/the 44 mag being a bit more. But I'll get back to this later. Gotta go.

I believe the best comparison will be for a bullet weight in the 300 gr. range. Lets make this interesting and wage a few beers on it, that is if you are attending MVII!!!

U.S.M.C 1988-1992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information