Thread: Heading to Seattle for the weekend

Heading to Seattle for the weekend

Hey all,

Heading to Seattle on Thursday in my rental car with my wife's mom. My wife is already in Seattle on business and will be waiting for us. It's a straight shot up I-5. From what I'm reading online, there may be rain but roads still seem to be clear. Didn't see any warnings on the mountain passes.

Want to see underground Seattle and the sci fi musuem. Probably skip the Space Needle since I've already done Towers of America. Unfortunately, Spruce Goose is not conveniently on the path so maybe someday. Shucks. My wife wants to see Pike's something or other. What is that?

Any other must sees in the area or on the route?
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Space needle is undergoing renovations IIRC, Pike Place market is an open air market with flowers, produce, fish and stuff. There are also many shops below street level. Bring your camera and take some pics of the homeless "encampments" and addicts. I used to go to Seattle all the time, unfortunately I have no desire to be within 5 miles of the place. There is also the music experience at Seattle center.
    Former owner of a 2004 DTR MM

Way to enliven his trip!

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    Way to enliven his trip!
    Didn't mean to be a killjoy, my favorite part of Seattle is the car ferry to the peninsula. Go to Poulsbo and enjoy a real Scandinavian town.

Here's some things you might see on your visit to the great state of Washington.
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...t-who-traced-/

Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    Here's some things you might see on your visit to the great state of Washington.
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...t-who-traced-/
    PRICELESS!!
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    Space needle is undergoing renovations IIRC, Pike Place market is an open air market with flowers, produce, fish and stuff. There are also many shops below street level. Bring your camera and take some pics of the homeless "encampments" and addicts. I used to go to Seattle all the time, unfortunately I have no desire to be within 5 miles of the place. There is also the music experience at Seattle center.
    We certainly did notice the homeless on every other corner looking for alms and some spots by the highway with tents. But overall, we managed to avoid them.

Overall the people we met were great. It's a diverse city but not diversity overload like the Bay Area or LA.

First thing my wife wanted to do was Pike's place. We loved the crumpet place for breakfast. And saw the "first" Starbucks.

I wanted to go to the new Steak n Shake down the street but my wife said no.

Tried to go to the Police museum but I understand that its closed. They hope to open someday at a as yet unknown location.

We did the harbor boat tour. We did go up the space needle and yes the Skyline restaurant is under renovation. We also saw the Chihuly Garden of glass.

We finished by seeing the museum of pop culture. Liked the Horror movie, Star Trek and Sci-fi exhibits.

I was looking for the police museum and wandered into an area with a big painted wall that was painted and said "reject your white privilege". I was well aware of the liberal leanings just as in California but that did upset me. My Dad was a poor carpenter and my mom was a stay at home mom. We were dirt poor growing up and had to work hard to get out of that. But then down the street was signs about Sanctuary Now! and a building called a Social Justice Hub. So I guess I got the entire feel of Seattle. lol

On the way home I wanted to see the Spruce Goose, but my wife overruled me and we stopped off at the Japanese Garden in Portland. The garden was ok. Oh well. Maybe next time.

I'm surprised Dairy Queen, Shari's, and A&W are still popular in the Northwest. There is hardly one to be seen left in the Bay Area. So I stopped at Dairy Queen to get my favorite butterscotch dipped ice cream cone.

Only saw snow on the way home but nothingleft on the roads.

Oh, and another place we visited is the Veteran's Memorial Museum halfway between Seattle and Portland. A very nice collection of military artifacts.

Thread Information