Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2003 MM Rear end build guidance appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowndex View Post
    Current record holder is Fordnut at 378 rwhp NA. I have a bet with four members I can beat it. With my car at MO's Speed Shop, all things are possible with $$$$$$ and their talent. Maybe dump the TrickFlow and go Jesel.
    Let’s say you get 400rwhp NA. I’m curious, exactly how long, how much time, energy and money has been spent to get to 400? Didn’t you start that in 09? Just supercharge the damn thing and be done with it. You’ll be so much happier. You can buy a freaking Honda that’ll beat that at 400rwhp now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowndex View Post
    Current record holder is Fordnut at 378 rwhp NA. I have a bet with four members I can beat it. With my car at MO's Speed Shop, all things are possible with $$$$$$ and their talent. Maybe dump the TrickFlow and go Jesel.
    Why do you constantly say this? While FordNuts numbers a impressive, his is not the N/A rwhp leader. You want the record you need to be North of 400rwhp. Hope you can do it.

I know 400rwhp can be done on an N/A 4.6 dohc motor its just at what expense and drive ability.

Why are you are averse to just going blower setup?
    2004 MM (Black) #112 of 3213 (SOLD)

2022 Ford Ff-150 SuperCab Iconic Silver "Powerboost"
    3.35 L 4X4
    -AND-
    SLAYER1
    formerly owned by "Impala Slayer!! 2004 SB MM
    Kenne Belle 2.8 (Liquid Cooled), MMR "Boss 302" Block, L&M Engines rebuild Kooks Headers and cats, Accusump Pre-Oiler Dynamax VT mufflers, MBS 2 1/2" exhaust, 4.10's, 2800 stall, Argento 312 "Color" Powder coated wheels, Rears widened 1 1/2 "703
    702 RWHP/653 RWTQ @ 21 Lbs. Boost, M/M catch can, 3 pillar gauge (Boost, Fuel, air intake and coolant temp, custom console cover, S-55 treatment etc...

If your going jesel you better have deep pockets. I bet they have titanium valve keepers dipped in the roman holy waters doused with the popes prayers

Quote Originally Posted by vkirkend View Post
    Why are you are averse to just going blower setup?

He’s not. He is simply hitting an NA goal then slapping a blower on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

superchargers are hard on the engine, perticularly the bearings.

I dont hate them, but they are expensive for an add on, for a perticular budget high or low I would rather have a high end N/A engine than a mediocre blower setup.

and personally do not think superchargers sound good. the only one I would pay money for would be a centrifugal type.

If I decide to go with forced induction I will go with a twin turbo setup.

I would like a hot 5.4 but I am considering a teksid 4.6 tt build.

Also while I prefer manual transmissions I have had both auto and manual sports cars.

they can both be done up well and If the car was already a manual I would give more consideration to a supercharger but given the fact I am just going to get the strongest auto Guts I can stuff in a 4r70w, Not sure if I should do the 4r75w since im going with a different motor all together why not. I still have to look at what is involved.

that being said the shop that is welding the rear end for me is in greenfield indiana, they are called Rods in Progress and they do fantastic fabrication work, they want to do the manual swap for me go figure. so Atleast if I go that route I have a shop I feel good about. But the more I think about it the main use of the car is bad ass cruising with maybe a road coarse or two a year for *****.

But auto's by nature work well with turbo setups, given the fact I would go dual 57's or 63's something like that its less of a factor because lag will be at a minimum. I have just started looking at cam profiles. I definitly want some low end grunt with some lope and a balanced powerband.

It will take me a couple weeks of research do nail down what compression ratio, turbo size, cam and stroke prof I think is in order for really maximizing the the overall charachteristics of this engine, I have always been more of an auto x, road coarse guy than drag so a lot of information I find is from drag guys half of which is useless toward my plans.

My favorite cams were my 263's in the 2.4 4g64t block with a 20g.

I had and tuned my own DSM link on my old cars. I am not opposed with going to a stand alone ecu.

I have been focused on the rear end, suspension and have not even looked at what a lot of ford guys do for piggy backs, or ecu mods yet. but

its on the radar

Here is some progress so far,

They did 3 passes and cleared out the channel in between the axle tube and housing. They did a better job than I could of that is for sure. It will be into sandblast and powder this afternoon.

here is the true track diff.

waiting on gears and misc in the mail.

Did your welder have a glass eye or an eye patch?

Lol. As long as it's solid, no one will ever see it where its going anyway.

Wow. He is actually a legit welder? Look at the inconsistency, poor to no penetration, and porosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyMerc View Post
    superchargers are hard on the engine, perticularly the bearings.

I dont hate them, but they are expensive for an add on,
    for a particular budget high or low I would rather have a high end N/A engine than a mediocre blower setup.

and personally do not think superchargers sound good. ill have to look at what is involved.
    Take it from someone who has been there....$$$

If you are building a 4.6...put some form of forced induction on it.
    If you want to stay N/A....ditch the 4.6 and start with a bone stock 460 HP 5.0L Coyote.
    OEM, They are light years ahead of the 4.6 technology and durability.
    The problem is matching up the computer systems.
    BUT... I cant' wait until someone puts a 2018 5.0L Coyote with the new 10 speed auto into a Marauder.
    THAT will be the ultimate N/A mod motor Marauder.

An easy 400+ RWHP with a stout 10 speed auto and 7,500 rpm shifts!
    Plus better drivability and great MPG.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

they do all sorts of fabrication welding on old hot rods and drag cars that is quite good.

I just want it reinforced.

also he said they did three times around, had to tig it because of the two different metals and some other stuff I do not recall.

I would just as soon get a twin turbo 4.6 set up over a stock coyote.
    are they really that much better? seems hard to believe. the mach 1 03 and the 16 gt i was in felt almost the same, don't know if any mods were done to the mach but It was not under forced induction.

a built 4.6 turbo seems a no brainer over an oem coyote.

A twin turbo will be all custom., Every piece, just ask member Seneca
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by IndyMerc View Post
    also he said they did three times around, had to tig it because of the two different metals and some other stuff I do not recall
    I remember making my very first stick welds like that in junior high shop class. I was so proud!

Quote Originally Posted by justgod View Post
    Did your welder have a glass eye or an eye patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Wow. He is actually a legit welder? Look at the inconsistency, poor to no penetration, and porosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by justgod View Post
    I remember making my very first stick welds like that in junior high shop class. I was so proud!
    I'm not a welder,
    ( I have taken welding classes at the local VoTech....and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!)
    but I must agree with what the other posters have said;
    Those welds look like crap....hopefully he had the steel axle tubes clamped in a fixture while 'welding' them to the cast iron center section.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information