Thread: New Stereo, Phase I

New Stereo, Phase I

I started the improvement of my 2004 Marauder's stereo today. The first step was to have the awful stock speakers removed and replaced with the Infinity Kappa 572.5's I pulled from my Lincoln LS.

At the same time, I had the installer install Dynamat (I think) sound deadening sheets on the doors. While I expected a subtle effect from these, I was astounded. Earlier in the week, I noticed quite a bit of noise from the winter road pebbles bouncing against the car. With the Dynamats in place, it is virtually unnoticable. Road noise seems to be down a great deal as well.

The speakers sound good in the car, but clearly I will need to replace the head unit soon. The only bad news was that the installer inadvertantly broke one of the clips off the drivers side window/lock/side mirror control panel, but had no problem paying for the replacement.

If you are thinking of new speakers, or just want a reduction in road noise, try the sound deadening material.
    2004 Marauder--DTR
    Infinity Kappa 572.5 speakers all four corners
    Wheel widening by Lidio
    Nitto 305's
    Metco control arms and Watt's link
    2004 Trek 5200 Project one--as black as possible--lots lighter than the MM, but powered by a lot less HP
    1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

Thumbs up try the sound deadening material.

Quote Originally Posted by mrogerc
    I started the improvement of my 2004 Marauder's stereo today. The first step was to have the awful stock speakers removed and replaced with the Infinity Kappa 572.5's I pulled from my Lincoln LS.

At the same time, I had the installer install Dynamat (I think) sound deadening sheets on the doors. While I expected a subtle effect from these, I was astounded. Earlier in the week, I noticed quite a bit of noise from the winter road pebbles bouncing against the car. With the Dynamats in place, it is virtually unnoticable. Road noise seems to be down a great deal as well.

The speakers sound good in the car, but clearly I will need to replace the head unit soon. The only bad news was that the installer inadvertantly broke one of the clips off the drivers side window/lock/side mirror control panel, but had no problem paying for the replacement.

If you are thinking of new speakers, or just want a reduction in road noise, try the sound deadening material.
    Dynamat are the way to go to deadend that door vibration...
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

LNYTUNS Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrogerc
    The only bad news was that the installer inadvertantly broke one of the clips off the drivers side window/lock/side mirror control panel, but had no problem paying for the replacement.
    I broke that same part on my driver door. That plate is a beach to get off.

So the Dyna mat helped that much, I think I might do the dyna mat too seeing my control panel clips are already broke, do the dyna mat and then replace the panels. Did you do it on all 4 doors and the back package tray or just the front doors?

I had all four doors plus the rear deck done. At $300, it seemed resonable. Hearing the results makes it seem like a steal.
    2004 Marauder--DTR
    Infinity Kappa 572.5 speakers all four corners
    Wheel widening by Lidio
    Nitto 305's
    Metco control arms and Watt's link
    2004 Trek 5200 Project one--as black as possible--lots lighter than the MM, but powered by a lot less HP
    1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

nick_danger Guest
    Just a word of advice, you should look into the messier, but much cheaper sound/vibration dampening sprays on the market. You don't need to cut pieces or apply them "correctly" and it never peels off (could be a downside). I've found them to be more effective. I forget the exact brand, but I bought about six spray cans from Menards for about $15 and was able to coat the entire trunk of my Volvo 240 along with the door panels and wheel wells. Not only did nothing rattle when my subs were pounding, road noise was cut in half (I'm guessing). It recommended two coats, I did three.

Just like Dynamat, you have to apply it to clean surfaces. It sprays on like tar or rubber or something and doesn't take long to harden. You have to be very careful not to spray on things you want to keep though... About seven years later, the material is still in the Volvo and hasn't come off at all and still is effective, unlike the $40 Dynamat I had applied three times in the trunk due to hot weather.

Just an FYI.

P.S. After removing all the trunk liner material, there were areas in which applying Dynamat would have been impossible without removing body panels, but the spray goes anywhere!

Thread Information