Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Real AutoMeter oil gauge

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southwest Florida, Lee County
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,425

    Real AutoMeter oil gauge

    Well last year I jumped on an AutoMeter oil gauge to replace the fake Marauder one. The thread here is extremely well written and after going through the steps it seemed quite straightforward. The car has been stored and covered 4 months so it seems like a good time to do the swap before starting her up. The sending unit was a simple swap and one-wire hookup. The gauge was a drop in replacement for the OE one but the look is similar until the lights come on and then the difference is annoying. The tutorial indicated the gauge face was removable and after some gentle coaxing around the perimeter of the aluminum bezel I was able to gently remove it and the face to swap them into the real gauge. It looks bone stock and performs like a gauge should. Even after 12 years of ownership I am still discovering little changes to improve my Marauder. Thanks to Wes for this fantastic writeup!

    https://www.mercurymarauder.net/revi...php/product/25
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

    2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    US
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    Well last year I jumped on an AutoMeter oil gauge to replace the fake Marauder one. The thread here is extremely well written and after going through the steps it seemed quite straightforward. The car has been stored and covered 4 months so it seems like a good time to do the swap before starting her up. The sending unit was a simple swap and one-wire hookup. The gauge was a drop in replacement for the OE one but the look is similar until the lights come on and then the difference is annoying. The tutorial indicated the gauge face was removable and after some gentle coaxing around the perimeter of the aluminum bezel I was able to gently remove it and the face to swap them into the real gauge. It looks bone stock and performs like a gauge should. Even after 12 years of ownership I am still discovering little changes to improve my Marauder. Thanks to Wes for this fantastic writeup!

    https://www.mercurymarauder.net/revi...php/product/25
    I'm a new Marauder owner. Why do you say fake oil guage?

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Moreau Island
    Posts
    12,225
    Quote Originally Posted by jcacioppo58 View Post
    I'm a new Marauder owner. Why do you say fake oil guage?

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    The gauge is a glorified idiot light. There is no sweep of the needle to indicate what pressure the engine is experiencing. It shows pressure if the car has a few pounds up to ?? Many here have replaced their OEM with a real gauge that shows the true pressure when operating. Fairly easy swap if you are somewhat mechanical. I believe the write-up on the how-to is in the FAQ header somewhere. Forget the part number of the real gauge from Autometer, but it is an Ultra ll. Someone will chime in with the part numbers for the gauges. Most replace the volt gauge as well just so they match. Swapping the face of the oil face is a pain.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,430
    I have mechanical OP gauge. That's about as real as you can get lol
    Ex Panther Owner

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Near Knoxville TN
    Age
    67
    Posts
    10,720
    Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I have mechanical OP gauge. That's about as real as you can get lol
    Me too! Never had to work on the sending unit since I made that swap!
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

    Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

    03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

    Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in the N.C. Triangle
    Age
    68
    Posts
    26,260
    Consider replace the voltmeter at the same time. When they are illuminated they will both look the same and anyone but a diehard Marauder enthusiast will not know the difference.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

    "The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

    Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

    “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    13,676
    Quote Originally Posted by jcacioppo58 View Post
    Why do you say fake oil guage?
    Because it IS a fake.

    As the others said, it reads approximately in the middle no matter what the actual oil pressure is. Ford does it this way because too many ignorant people complained that their oil pressure was all over the place, not understanding that this is absolutely normal. It will be higher when the RPMs are high and lower when the RPMs are low. It also changes as the oil temperature changes. Rather than keep explaining that to people, Ford just made the gauge read in the middle all the time. It's been that way since at least 1989...possibly earlier but that's the earliest I have direct experience with.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

    The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    US
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Because it IS a fake.

    As the others said, it reads approximately in the middle no matter what the actual oil pressure is. Ford does it this way because too many ignorant people complained that their oil pressure was all over the place, not understanding that this is absolutely normal. It will be higher when the RPMs are high and lower when the RPMs are low. It also changes as the oil temperature changes. Rather than keep explaining that to people, Ford just made the gauge read in the middle all the time. It's been that way since at least 1989...possibly earlier but that's the earliest I have direct experience with.
    So if I had to upgrade which would you recommend that has a similar stick appearance that actually functions properly

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in the N.C. Triangle
    Age
    68
    Posts
    26,260
    Quote Originally Posted by jcacioppo58 View Post
    So if I had to upgrade which would you recommend that has a similar stick appearance that actually functions properly

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Replacement Gauges – Autometer (2 1/16)
    Oil Pressure – P/N 4327 w/ sending unit (P/N 2242)
    Voltmeter – P/N 4391
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

    "The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

    Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

    “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis




  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Moreau Island
    Posts
    12,225
    Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Replacement Gauges – Autometer (2 1/16)
    Oil Pressure – P/N 4327 w/ sending unit (P/N 2242)
    Voltmeter – P/N 4391
    Been awhile since I got mine, but if I recall the sending unit comes with the oil gauge.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in the N.C. Triangle
    Age
    68
    Posts
    26,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Been awhile since I got mine, but if I recall the sending unit comes with the oil gauge.
    Correct. That's why it says "w/ sending unit (P/N 2242)"
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

    "The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

    Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

    “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis




  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Moreau Island
    Posts
    12,225
    Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Replacement Gauges – Autometer (2 1/16)
    Oil Pressure – P/N 4327 comes w/ sending unit
    Voltmeter – P/N 4391
    Replacement oil sending unit - (P/N 2242)
    I would have done it as above to be more concise.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    7
    where would I find the stock OIL sender unit to replace?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Next door to my neighbor
    Age
    50
    Posts
    20,353
    Right near the oil filter.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

    Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Posts
    951
    isnt there a way to have the org. work?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted To Buy Real AutoMeter oil pressure gauge with OEM face swap
    By Anthony84 in forum Marauder Parts/Misc. Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2015, 04:03 AM
  2. For Sale New New autometer real oil pressure gauge for marauder
    By Youngblood in forum Marauder-specific Parts for Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2013, 07:26 PM
  3. Real Autometer Oil Gauge - another write up
    By babbage in forum Shop Talk
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 01:52 PM
  4. For Sale Autometer "real" oil pressure gauge
    By Spectragod in forum Marauder-specific Parts for Sale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 07:47 PM
  5. 411 on swapping for real AutoMeter gauges!
    By djcwardog in forum Shop Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •