Thread: Car falls flat on it's face @ 3200rpm

Car falls flat on it's face @ 3200rpm

Hey guys! I'm new to the MM community, but not new to cars. However, my experience with fuel injection is amatuer to say the least! So i have a question that has me perplexed and a little concerned. I have an early '03 MM, it has 70K miles on it, with no performance mods (YET!!). The problem I am experiencing is at WOT the car will run up to around 3200rpm then it'll "fall on it's face" and actually drop 100-200 rpm only to pick right back up and accelerate normally. Am i just experiencing the cam "opening up" or could this be a fuel delivery issue (e.g. pump cavitation or worse)? Thanks in advance for your help!

Josh

Have you changed your fuel filter yet ?

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

Yes, fuel filter in brand new! I've also replaced the IAC recently.
    Last edited by Ford_w/loctite; 04-07-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Were you below 1/4 tank of gas?
    Tom
    This one is for sale:
    2000 GM-LS-HPP & DOHC!
    Finally, did the 1/4mile.

Finally bought a Marauder #2,385
    205,000 miles and did rear spring conversion

She does it on a full tank....

when did it start?
    any time you remove the iac or replace it....you must dissconnect the neg. battery cable...wait 5 minutes...then restart the car...do not drive it...let it idle for 15 minutes....or take it to the dealer to have it zeroed. this device actually measures engine wear and makes adjustments accordingly. Also clean the Maf sensor.

Come to think of it, it did start around the time i replaced the iac. i did however clean the MAF when I replaced the iac. I also did disconnect the battery to let it reset when I changed the iac, but I was unaware of the 15 minute idle time. I'll try reseting it again and let it idle, then I'll let you guys know if it goes away (Won't get to it till this evening). Thanks!!!

Ford_w/loctite,

You are describing what many had with very early builds (FDH2 and before). Mine did the exact same thing that yours is doing. I solved it by chipping the car years ago. Or you can re-program the box. You can tell what version of code you have by a little sticker that is on the driver's side front door.

Wags
    "Pete, you could drop 2 tenths if you lose some weight"
    2002 Rendezvous CXL (hers)
    1968 Chevelle SS 396 convertible (not her's)
    1967 Chevelle coupe (not her's either)
    2002 Explorer Sport (not her's again)
    2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro Turbo (was daughter's, now mine. Quick little bugger)

This evening I reset the computer & let the car idle as recommended. I must say there is a noticeable difference now! Thanks Captain! However, there is still a hint of in WOT operation, it's just not as "pronounced". I'm assuming that this could reasonably be solved with a chip. Y/N?

All this leaves me with two questions for you guys (Aside from the assumption above):

1. Who can I contact to get my build date?
    2. What is the recommended chip and why? (I've seen SCT, Diablo, even a Jet chip)

Thanks again guys!

Mine did same thing and it was Fuel pump cavitation! Felt like it wouldn't go into 2nd sometimes too...
    Dealer did pump and all fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Ford_w/loctite View Post
    This evening I reset the computer & let the car idle as recommended. I must say there is a noticeable difference now! Thanks Captain! However, there is still a hint of in WOT operation, it's just not as "pronounced". I'm assuming that this could reasonably be solved with a chip. Y/N?

All this leaves me with two questions for you guys (Aside from the assumption above):

1. Who can I contact to get my build date?
    2. What is the recommended chip and why? (I've seen SCT, Diablo, even a Jet chip)
    You can PM RoyLPita your VIN for build details, althought I'm not sure if he has the date.

As for the chip, I think more MM owners use SCT than anything, but probably because two large MM vendors, Lidio Iacobelli of Alternative Automotive (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=13722) and Dennis Reinhart of Reinhart Automotive, use and distribute the SCT Xcalibrator 2, 9X00 series with custom tunes from their shops. Both are supporting vendors of this site and have excellent options to meet your needs (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=42491). Search here at mm.net and send them a note or give them a call for more details.
    If you want to fully customize your tune, Diablo, which ships with the FIT blower, may have some tweaks and tricks that the Xcal2 doesn't have, but many people here use and understand the Xcal2 alot more.

Hope this helps!
    03 300A Black 1719/7839
    Current mods: FRP 4.10s, DR 93 Octane & shift tune, 8-clutch stock diff rebuild, bald tires
    Wish list: Eaton M112 kit and/or get bored and stroke it to a 5.0L

Don't let friends drive stockers:

Thread Information